Fancy Scales Thread. A CPK picture show

untytled

Gold Member
Spent a fair amount of time scouring thru this sub forum gaining a firm perspective on everything I could regarding Carothers Performance knives.

In my search it's evident their main focus is on optimum performance within their trade which reflects in the manner they handle their output and ultimately their end product.

Never one to set performance aside... but they also make one hell of a great looking knife!

Over the years there's been some fancy clad knives across a variety of CPK patterns. I figured we could keep and showcase them all in one place, here in this thread.

IMG_20181202_53142.jpg

Share your pics here and all others (if and only if the original poster doesn't mind) of the fancy handled CPKs. Let's try to keep Nathan away from this thread. Don't need to remind him how much he hated making them. ;)

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul. - John Muir

No where near a fancy as that ironwood, but not bad considering it is 10 years old and well used;)
ETk9Stw.jpg

No where near a fancy as that ironwood, but not bad considering it is 10 years old and well used;)
ETk9Stw.jpg

That's it! That's the kinda stuff I want to see. Thanks for sharing

Beautiful knife and great quote. I hadn't heard it before, thank you.

Much appreciate it. He's got a few other good ones. Seems like he would've been the kinda guy I wouldn't mind hanging around with.

Thanks for that, Renato. Excellent explanation. My surprise was in most knife makers produce skinners with bellies like ulus.

Nathan Carothers is a man after my own heart. I have to use his chum bucket method next time I take a game animal and process it myself. I've always been a meat hunter (though I've taken some nice trophies on guided hunts) and much prefer to take head shots whenever possible.

I've skinned and processed dozens of quadrupeds in the field and in the kitchen. (And 100s more birds/try glove-boning a chicken once or twice.) I'm a chef. In the beginning I nicked skin and it was humbling. I rarely make that mistake anymore. Yesterday I boned and skinned a 10lb pork shoulder with my Shiro F3. No nicks. Very similar blade profile to that D2 Skinner. I just need to keep the centerline of the blade parallel to the seam I'm pulling. To that point, one of my preferences in knife design is a straight centerline from butt to tip using the belly as a zipper. That makes the tool a natural extension of my fingers. Nathan essentially said the same thing. His D2 Skinner demonstrates it.

I get it now. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Great thread Renato. Love the DIW EDC2’s, and Martin’s D2 Skinner is fantastic! Here’s a few I’ve posted before.

:)My grail, Nathan’s personal double edged UF in 3V and Cocobolo
yY7qL2k.jpg

UF in ElMax with Desert Ironwood
G7aec9q.jpg

EDC2 in Dessert Ironwood and EDC in African Blackwood
6eSMGw4.jpg

Had to get a close up :thumbsup::D
gt8AU6E.jpg

Last edited:
I think so, but I’m not sure. I can’t check right now. Maybe Nathan will answer that for us?
Besides the beautiful ironwood scales, wasn't that hollow ground also?
Yes. I believe they’re the same as a standard EDC2, which Nathan describes as: lightly hand ground after machining to give it a shallow S grind that is slightly hollow in the center and convex at the shoulders.

:thumbsup: Great thread Renato. Love the DIW EDC2’s, and Martin’s D2 Skinner is fantastic! Here’s a few I’ve posted before.

aNyMm55.jpg

G7aec9q.jpg

6eSMGw4.jpg

gt8AU6E.jpg
Was waiting for you to put in an appearance with a few from your collection. Didn’t disappoint. Nice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

aNyMm55.jpg

G7aec9q.jpg

6eSMGw4.jpg

gt8AU6E.jpg
Gus those are truly grails, how did you manage to get your hands on those?

Back