Fancy Scales Thread. A CPK picture show

For those of you who want to see an almost a side-by-side comparison of how much superior Nathan's African Blackwood is as compared to another maker's who also has a reputation and fame for offering very fancy handle scales:

vyKM74p.jpg

MsWWjuU.jpg

You may call me biased, but you must also call me right as I have the eye for beauty :p :D

Very attractive handles! Nice choice with those.

Still not sure why I hesitated to get in on one of those wood fk's. I had a feeling I as gonna regret it. :poop:

Satiate my urges keep the pics coming. I'm sure there's more out there.

A3E33EFD-562E-4DBE-BE15-33F7E993EF60.jpeg upload_2020-5-4_10-22-44.jpeg upload_2020-5-4_10-23-53.jpeg upload_2020-5-4_10-24-54.jpeg My favorite knife. FK2 with 90 degree spine and custom scales. I’d ask you guys to guess but I don’t think anyone would be able to because they turned out so different than I expected them too. I asked about possibly making some homemade “micarta” out of one of my old USMC uniforms from the early nineties and Nathan turning them into a set of scales. They said I could send the material in and they would take a look at it. I put a lot of effort into making the “micarta” as solid as possible. It paid off because as you can see the scales turned out AMAZING! Jo told me they didn’t see any bubbles and it machined well. I’m thinking they are going to last a long long time.

HUGE shout-out to Nathan, Jo and crew. I am so impressed by your continued customer service and quality products. Thank you for doing this.

upload_2020-5-4_10-22-44.jpeg
upload_2020-5-4_10-23-53.jpeg
upload_2020-5-4_10-24-54.jpeg

I made the “micarta” by cutting up an old pair of cammies/BDUs into lots of strips, saturating them with Bondo, putting them in a mold and pressing the crap out of them until they were fully cured.

* I edited the post to add the greener scale picture. I wiped the scales with mineral oil, let it soak for a few, buffed them dry and WOW!, they pop.

Last edited:
My favorite knife. FK2 with 90 degree spine and custom scales. I’d ask you guys to guess but I don’t think anyone would be able to because they turned out so different than I expected them too. I asked about possibly making some homemade “micarta” out of one of my old USMC uniforms from the early nineties and Nathan turning them into a set of scales. They said I could send the material in and they would take a look at it. I put a lot of effort into making the “micarta” as solid as possible. It paid off because as you can see the scales turned out AMAZING! Jo told me they didn’t see any bubbles and it machined well. I’m thinking they are going to last a long long time.

HUGE shout-out to Nathan, Jo and crew. I am so impressed by your continued customer service and quality products. Thank you for doing this.

View attachment 1334068
View attachment 1334070
View attachment 1334071

I made the “micarta” by cutting up an old pair of cammies/BDUs into lots of strips, saturating them with Bondo, putting them in a mold and pressing the crap out of them until they were fully cured.
THAT is sweet. Very cool one of a kind piece.

That's great! Enjoy!

My favorite knife. FK2 with 90 degree spine and custom scales. I’d ask you guys to guess but I don’t think anyone would be able to because they turned out so different than I expected them too. I asked about possibly making some homemade “micarta” out of one of my old USMC uniforms from the early nineties and Nathan turning them into a set of scales. They said I could send the material in and they would take a look at it. I put a lot of effort into making the “micarta” as solid as possible. It paid off because as you can see the scales turned out AMAZING! Jo told me they didn’t see any bubbles and it machined well. I’m thinking they are going to last a long long time.

View attachment 1334068
View attachment 1334070
View attachment 1334071

Nice combo! Those USMC camo scales turned out great. May they serve you well Devil Dog! :thumbsup::)

Tony is that a satin finished EDC3 or just great lighting?

Mine!! So thankful to Hard Knocks Hard Knocks for passing it down!

That's the set from the Fun Friday Sale.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fun-friday-sale-edc3-and-field-knife-set.1649634/

That's the 'first' FK2 (non UFK) and EDC3 getting upgraded by Tony! Yes - both satin ground. Have to say they look great! And waiting to get them back in hand. The EDC looked really, really good but Tony's taken it to another level!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fun-friday-sale-edc3-and-field-knife-set.1649634/

That's the 'first' FK2 (non UFK) and EDC3 getting upgraded by Tony! Yes - both satin ground. Have to say they look great! And waiting to get them back in hand. The EDC looked really, really good but Tony's taken it to another level!
Thanks, San
I hope you like the FK2 when it arrives. The ironwood on it is more dark and brooding, and when I saw it with those electric blue fasteners I was stoked. Once in a while a certain combination just speaks to me - those were meant to go with that ironwood and vice versa.

When I saw the blue fasteners on the field knife I wondered if it was that set. These two definitely went to the right home, nice job man :thumbsup: :cool:

Oh, my... This stuff is precisely what I try to avoid. Now I’ll need one knife for using and another for looking pretty. Oh, no...!!!

Fantastic work, beautiful knives that actually PERFORM. I love cocobolo for handles, ebony and ironwood. Amazing stuff. Thank you guys.

Back