Fancy Scales Thread. A CPK picture show

D2 (good cross rolled electroslag remelt D2) is absolutely fantastic in stuff like that. Cheap D2 and poor HT have blemished its reputation but some American made D2 at a high hardness and with an optimized HT is such fantastic stuff. So many people are missing out on this.

Please build us something (skinner XL?) with some big toothy D2. If you want to add fancy scales, well then that's cool too ;) :)

untytled untytled the AECM EDC in D2 is off the charts. I had my EDC2 outside today doing yardwork. My picture is awful by comparison. Is there any special care that should be used on knives in D2? I have quite a few from other makers and know that corrosion resistance can be a concern.
View attachment 1216260

Thanks! Let me tell you a story about my D2 edc... I received it new but was bought on the secondary market. It showed up in this package below.
IMG_20190207_124016-2268x3024.jpg
IMG_20190207_124002-3024x2268.jpg
You can probably tell it's been thru hell. But what you can't probably tell is how wet the package is. Through no fault of the seller/shipper it arrived thoroughly soaked. So soaked in fact I was able to shake the knife loose thru the deteriorated cardboard. Along with it came a small pool of dirty water that it had been sitting in. About 10 hours later (after work) I was finally able to get the scales off the knife and get it properly dry. Who knows really how long it was in that state. I was expecting much worse. All I got was a bit of a surface stain that honestly looked more like a fine patina near where the barrel meets the Tang (route of penetration I suppose) under the scales. Gave it a wipe and a coat in seal 1 and forgot about it. Since then it's been thru much more and it still looks great!

I wouldn't think too much into it. However I do wipe it down after each use but not always immediately. Usually at the end of the job or day. I've coated every knife I own in seal 1 clp under the scales when I initially receive them then usually forget about it. Occasionally I'll dab a drop of mineral oil on my thumb touch it to my pointer finger then shmear it on the blade. It's all overkill but a habit now. And I do this with them all no matter the steel. Secretly, I had hoped the blade would've develop a slight patina by now but obviously it's better then I thought in regards to stain resistance. My carbon traditionals get treated the same exact way and look nowhere near as clean as this does. Then again this isn't just any D2... it's Nathan's D2!

Thanks! Let me tell you a story about my D2 edc... I received it new but was bought on the secondary market. It showed up in this package below.
View attachment 1216348
View attachment 1216347
You can probably tell it's been thru hell. But what you can't probably tell is how wet the package is. Through no fault of the seller/shipper it arrived thoroughly soaked. So soaked in fact I was able to shake the knife loose thru the deteriorated cardboard. Along with it came a small pool of dirty water that it had been sitting in. About 10 hours later (after work) I was finally able to get the scales off the knife and get it properly dry. Who knows really how long it was in that state. I was expecting much worse. All I got was a bit of a surface stain that honestly looked more like a fine patina near where the barrel meets the Tang (route of penetration I suppose) under the scales. Gave it a wipe and a coat in seal 1 and forgot about it. Since then it's been thru much more and it still looks great!

I wouldn't think too much into it. However I do wipe it down after each use but not always immediately. Usually at the end of the job or day. I've coated every knife I own in seal 1 clp under the scales when I initially receive them then usually forget about it. Occasionally I'll dab a drop of mineral oil on my thumb touch it to my pointer finger then shmear it on the blade. It's all overkill but a habit now. And I do this with them all no matter the steel. Secretly, I had hoped the blade would've develop a slight patina by now but obviously it's better then I thought in regards to stain resistance. My carbon traditionals get treated the same exact way and look nowhere near as clean as this does. Then again this isn't just any D2... it's Nathan's D2!

Holy smokes man! Can’t imagine the emotional reaction that box must have evoked. :eek: Oh, and now that I know the back story, I’m amending my unconditional ‘l’ll take it’ by $5 less. ;)

Siddhant Siddhant Stunner man! :thumbsup: What are the scales? Is that ironwood or some other swirly goodness I can’t quite
pinpoint?

yes, Ironwood :thumbsup:

Wowzers! I had to do a double-take when I saw your photos because that is not how I remembered them when Nathan ran that Fun Friday Sale. So I went back and rechecked and sure as heck, those DIW scales look much richer under the natural light. Great score bud and many thanks again for sharing :)

#stillnotnathan

JhvDNFc.jpg

Wowzers! I had to do a double-take when I saw your photos because that is not how I remembered them when Nathan ran that Fun Friday Sale. So I went back and rechecked and sure as heck, those DIW scales look much richer under the natural light. Great score bud and many thanks again for sharing :)

#stillnotnathan

JhvDNFc.jpg

yes, the scales are less gold and more red than when they first arrived... as Nathan advised, minus a few momentary lapses, I have kept this unsheathed and in-hand at all times, perhaps that has something to do with it?

Back