FAQ's - STRIPPED SCREWS - Good tools can save you much misery!! :)

Here's a couple of other tips.

Here's a little info on the Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 (removable) from the data sheet.

"In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot."

If you do end up with a stripped screw, you can try drilling it out with a reverse or left handed drill bit. Use a small size and drill through the center of the stripped screw (carefully). A drill press is a good idea.

Just ordered myself a T6 and a T8 because of this thread. Tracking says they'll be here anywhere from Thursday to Saturday.

went to a knife show this weekend....picked up a set of drivers, great stuff!! Strongly recommend them.

Wow... I wish this would have been posted earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time and heartache. This thread brought back painful memories.

Story time:

I had just gotten a NIB Kershaw CF Blur for a fair price from that usually over expensive auction site. I take it out of the box, I look it over, it's perfect. The bevels are even, the lock-up is solid, the blade is centered, and the deployment is fast. It was my first Blur, and I immediately loved it. That annoying pocket clip came installed tip-down though, and it was bothering me. I thought, no problem! I reached for my trusty(not so trusty) 30 piece "Boxer" torx set(bad idea #1), and easily removed the first screw. While removing the second screw, I stripped it. It refused to budge. I tried some other random things first, which left a nice shiny hole in the screw. Then I thought, well I can drill it out(bad idea #2). I didn't have anything but cheap B&D bits lying around, so I grabbed one and went to work. The bit broke midway through, and put a deep scratch in the handle... At this point I was annoyed beyond belief, my wonderful blur was ruined. I contacted Kershaw Support, and they told me to send the knife in. I paid the postage, and mailed it off. Roughly 3 weeks later it was returned to me. The knife returned with the nuisance removed, and the clip was installed in a tip-up position. Everything was as good as new, besides the scratch. I learned a valuable lesson about using cheap tools that day. After doing some research, I purchased a Wilha T1-T8 set, because who knows when I might need the other sizes. I won't ever use cheap tools again.

TL;DR:
This is a very informative thread. You get what you pay for, so don't use cheap tools. Kershaw has great warranty support. :)

Because of this thread I went and ordered this German made Wera 10 piece set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015535OW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Received it yesterday and the first thing I did was remove the clip from my Kershaw Cyclone.

Used it also to remove the back cover off my laptop to install bigger memory.

Yes it was a little expensive but everything about this set exudes quality and it was actually a pleasure to use. I'm sure it will be the last set I'll ever have to buy.

Thanks to everyone who recommended a quality brand. I almost bought a cheap Chinese set.

Last edited:
Eklind also makes good stuff. I have a set that goes from T3-T25. Think it was less than $30 off Amazon. They're made here in the US by 'mericans :)

I have a very old Wiha hex driver. It says "Made In West Germany." I do have a bunch of their tools. They're very good. We use them at work as well.

Man, that sucks. If it ever happens again, let me know and I'll send you new screws and tube spacers.

My real horror stories have mostly involved proprietary "tamper proof hardware" - thankfully I don;t have any more knives with "tri-pin" or "tri-wing" screws. Those were so hard to remove without buggering them up, and the loctite didn't help.

LOL, you guys did send me some screws haha. I felt like such an idiot with that. But I hear you on the tri wing screws. I really like the way they look but i literally cant seem to turn one without scratching it or deforming the edges of the holes. I really wish they would make a plastic or composite tool bit for those things. You dont need to crank on them anyways and it would prevent scratching and deforming.

Maybe. I just know mines a T8.

Honestly it might take both. I know there are many KAI screws that they recommend using a T8 on will also accept a T10.

Last edited:
Great advice, I too learned the hard way not to use cheap drivers on my knives, I bought a 5 dollar torx precision screwdriver set from the local hardware store, granted they have a lifetime warranty on them, but after deforming about my 5th set of them I said no more, and went and got the craftsman drivers in every size they had in the store I think I spent about 30 dollars, money well spent! They do fit the screws a whole lot better.

Thanks for this FAQ guys- my Wiha tools are in the mail. I returned my home depot bought husky tools after a stripped screw and a twisted bit head(!). I was gentle, I swear. Good for home depot and husky for standing by their lifetime warranty though.

Since jimmer_5 was saying that you'll need T6, T8 & T10 torx bits and if you wanted to carry them all in one handy multi-tool you could get the Wiha Torx Multi-Bit Driver T5-10 which stores the T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10 bits in the handle.

31Hfggs2iIL.jpg

My Wiha drivers have been getting a good bit if use recently, and they're doing great so far! Worlds better than the several sets of Lowes and Home Depot Torx drivers I've had!

Thanks to Jimmer_5 and other contributors to this thread I got two sets of very handy Wiha German-engineered torx tools both of them modular and portable.

In red below is the Wiha 38003 Multi Bit Seven In One (38003) tool which stores the bits in the handle: T5, T6, T7, T8, T9 & T10. About $26.

The other one in green below is the Wiha 79242 Bit Selector with Torx Bits and the bits are stored within: T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20, T25 & T30. Under $18.

845d58e3-9bd4-4962-97cb-20dd0ec393bc_zps17fe92f7.jpg

4e3619c6-abaa-4964-b3a7-23d985d2d464_zps9c54c0fe.jpg

eeb88fd5-0c9c-4434-87cb-deb815109571_zps6be7a2d0.jpg

10ef3fd1-aab5-4515-b2f8-5e7d7b3c16cc_zpsd1df3ce9.jpg

Here's what I picked up from Amazon. It's got all the torx drivers needed for most pocket knives, computers, and various small electronic devices. High quality German steel and a real pleasure to use.

weratorxset.jpg

WERA KK 11 ESD

My Wiha set has been getting a bit of a workout recently. Won a 0350TS in a contest, took out the torsion bar, and have been tightening/loosening the screws constantly trying to correct the centering. The blade isn't perfectly centered but i've found a fair compromise. No stripped screws. Thanks Wiha tools

Back