Farm Life

Thanks Catherine.
Razor, I used it last year on chickens we raised for the freezer and it worked well. I used the drop point blade not the spey. I don't think it's advantage is the full flat grind but the blade's thinness. As this allows it to get in between joints to separate the cuts. For my preference, I wouldn't go any small in blade length to process chickens. A 5-6" blade maybe better but it also needs some spine thickness so it doesn't dig into the heel of my hand when I push it through bone. I'll only leave a few of these whole. Most will be cut up to the 11 pieces for a chicken. Then put in freezer bags. With the heart, liver and gizzard separated. DM

Thanks Catherine.
Razor, I used it last year on chickens we raised for the freezer and it worked well. I used the drop point blade not the spey. I don't think it's advantage is the full flat grind but the blade's thinness. As this allows it to get in between joints to separate the cuts. For my preference, I wouldn't go any small in blade length to process chickens. A 5-6" blade maybe better but it also needs some spine thickness so it doesn't dig into the heel of my hand when I push it through bone. I'll only leave a few of these whole. Most will be cut up to the 11 pieces for a chicken. Then put in freezer bags with the heart, liver and gizzard separated. Here is a photo form last year with the Club's 110 and D2 blade. DM

We had a couple not make it past 5 weeks. For what reason we don't know. One we had separated and he was still eating. But Leesa found him today at noon. His size is about that of a pheasant. DM

Last edited:
On those that make it to target weight I think I'll use my Buck Millennium Trapper for the processing. DM

Last edited:
Good luck with the rest of them David. Dad stopped raising them a couple of years a go. They were enjoyable for him and very tasty. People who have never had any raised like you do just don't know the difference.

Ever since I saw your Buck jumbo trapper, I have wanted one. The closest I have come is a Camillus Jumbo trapper. I was unfamiliar with that knife pattern before. It has quickly become a favorite.

I tried sending you a private message and email a month ago, but don't think it ever made it to you.

Gedd, thanks. I would like to see your Camillus jumbo trapper. I don't understand what's up with the Forum email. I did the same with 300Bucks and I guess it never made it to him. It's hit and miss. Mine is working as I received one from TAH 2 days ago. So, keep trying. We have raised chicks for meat birds since 1995 and retain some layers as needed. It's a easy, fun project and requires a space no bigger than a single car garage. With a brooder house to raise some great tasting, fine quality meat for your household. Enough for the entire year. My Grandparents taught me this, my Father continued it and I want to pass the knowledge along to my offspring. Chicken keeps well in the freezer or canned. It may be fried, baked, boiled and boned for a casserole. Or grilled and boiled in soup. Add noodles or potatoes with bread and crackers and you have a easy, quick meal. That everyone will enjoy. Home grown right out your backdoor and process with a good Buck knife. No other tools required. DM

Great stuff David. I enjoy reading about your chicken harvest each year. We're shopping for some acreage for a new place and planning a big garden, chickens and bees to start with. We may add goats at some point as well. The people who work for me can't get over how much of a hillbilly I am. They think I live in a condo...

I love this thread David,keep it going and thanks for sharing .I am hunting for a buck jumbo trapper now lol,well fishing the bay you could say lol.

Thanks Pokt. I hope you get to move and can then have chickens, garden and bees. I grew up always having bees and would like to have a hive. So, we are moving in that direction.
Razor, thank you. I'll keep sharing any daily happenings. I have really taken to Buck's 334 Millennium Trapper. I hope you get one and enjoy it as much as I do. If you don't I'll buy it from you. So, no risk. DM

Another one didn't make it. A little younger than the other, about the size of a Chukar. DM

Last edited:
Hopefully, we won't have any more losses. Currently at 5%. DM

Last edited:
David,

Here are a couple of shots of the Camillus.

20160514_150748_zpse1zfrdrw.jpg

20160514_150840_zpswdch5mgp.jpg

They look very similar, just different handle material. My Buck Millennium Trapper grew on me. I liked it when I first saw one several years ago but didn't pursue an ownership. Then Stumps bumped into one and sent it my way. When I examined it and began working on it, I liked it's heft, 2 blade option & blade shapes and a lanyard hole. It's size drew me in. We've developed a friendship. The thin blades cut well. So, I carry it 3-4 days a week. The 420 steel it's bad. It takes a good edge, either off the stone or stropping. I'm so glad I have one. DM

This a photo of our chicken pen. The Cornish meat birds on the right and laying hens on the left with a divider. Both can be closed in at night. DM

Thanks. They do. There are 39 in the right pen and 8 layers in the left. A 20'X30' pen. That's a 6 ft. fence with wind breaks built in. Then tin around the perimeter dug down a foot deep. Each side has housing that is heated on cold nights. Here it gets cold in the winter and predators are always lurking. We found a rattler at the left pen last evening. Rattlers and rodents find ways in to steal food and eggs. With larger predator we get a warning from our dog. DM

Last edited:
It's nice to know there are still real people left in this world. Hard working self sufficient people like David and his family. I think there are too many people who rely on others to provide them with sustenance. we're so reliant on grocery stores and a society that provides out needs for living. We've lost skills that at one time would be beneficial to our own survival.

Back to the basics is where a family needs to be. In life and at the dinner table. I commend you for not being a city slicker who's priorities lie between a smart phone and a Google search.

As a fellow outdoorsman and Buck knife enthusiast it's gratifying and rewarding to be able to use a good knife and rifle to provide your family with organic food. It's better for the mind and body. It makes us healthier and stronger, which I believe is the foundation for happiness :)

Okay rant off thanks for listening

Doug, thank you. It was my pleasure reading your post. I didn't know you thought along these lines. We get on here and talk about this model knife and that one and how we like them and don't really know what's under the layers. Really inside the person. I respect you for just laying it out there, like this. We try to keep this Forum fresh with different topics folks may find of interest and use their knife on. At other times I may post a pretty knife my wife has just finished working on. It's good to know this subject strikes a cord with many that can see we are losing some needed skills. DM

Back