Farm Life

Ok, I sharpened the Alaskan Guide 110 and removed the burrs on the fine diamond stone in 15 mins.. It is now good to go on another cutting test. I used the headset. DM

David - Thank you for testing all 3 blades steels against the bear-grass and reporting the results of how much each blade could endure and what it took to resharpen each. Great information.

Interesting. I was hoping s30v would hold own.
Mak, each hand full held 12-13 strands. I Did Not count every handful. (so a variable) Still, crunching these known numbers
it's easy to admit that s30v cut 450-500 strands of this tough plant... Some of the strands were thicker, older and some dried.
Trying to put the elements of the test in perspective. DM

I don’t mean to put you to work David; but it would be interesting at least to me to hear results with 420hc.

a 420hc bear grass test would be a great addition to David's real world testing. course asking him to do more work for us to learn dont seem right at all.:)

Your welcome Tecate.
We have Plenty clumps of bear-grass.
I've been searching and I don't think I have a 110 with 420hc steel. I have them in the unopened Christmas gift sets.
All tests being done with that model and blade. Unless I have a V52 Selector
blade with that steel. I do have a 317 & 334 Trapper that is likely 420 steel only
heat treated by Camillus. I have 110's with 425M, 440C and D2 steel. None with BG42, S35VN or Ion Fusion.
Something I know most gents on this Forum have little interest toward carrying is a serrated blade.
But I carry mine and use it for pruning and other cutting tasks. This type blade would be something of
interest of to me to do a cutting test like this with. Just throwing this out to see the feedback I get.
Thank you guys. DM

This Bucklite is from the Workman series. It's very light and I carried it a lot. But the blade is still nice and full.
With no damage. I'll use it on the bear grass. DM

David, do you carry any fixed blade knives while travelling about your ranch? Can't help but think I would like to be having my Buck 119 with me to handle some of that wild bear grass.

I had to finish tending to goats, then we ate supper.
I pressed it to cut 500 strands but it was not cutting well after 400. Which was a surprise to me. Some factors that may lend us
some clues toward it's performance: 1) could this blade be of 425M steel, (stamp / )2) it is twice as thin as a regular 110 blade and thin will cut better even when dull. 3) on this test I would cut then separate the strands and count them, keeping a running total. On the others the handfuls were counted and the number of strands estimated.
4) this blade was sharpened at 200 grit on a ACE Hardware stone, SiC material. The most coarsely sharpened blade used in this
cutting. 5) We've had over an inch of rain since the other tests. Could this have washed the sand & dust off the strands allowing better performance? Later examining the blade under the headset; 3" near the plunge line was rolled the rest had burrs.
You gents let me know what you think. I gave you the straight story, not skewing the numbers. DM

Last edited:
Awesome David. Nice to see real world tests in the field. Even the sharpening was noted. Which is also real world testing.

Mak, thank you. I guess the reason I sharpened this blade on the ACE Hardware stone was convenience. It was near the door
when I was checking the edge and thought, oh well, I'll touch it up on that stone. It didn't require much as I had it cutting decent off Norton's IB8, fine India. I was surprised how this coarse grit really tuned it up. I believe the blades thinness helped
it cut because I noticed how it snapped through the strands. On the days I carry it I have always noticed how quickly it cuts
up my apple at lunch time. DM

Back