Farm Life

David, you need a couple of cleavers in different sizes. I find they make processing chicken and other animals much easier.

Gedd, I enjoy using mine too. It comes down to; if it works and you enjoy using it, (like it's shape & grind) then use it. I have 3-4 blades I like really well and because of their grind (not so much their steel) and shape or features, I like using them. I'll process several of the largest chickens over this holiday weekend. DM

Its time to fire up the grill or smoker with some hickory or mesquite. I can just taste it.

Go for the grill is right! Here are 2 roosters that weigh 7 lbs. each. We found 4 total and separated them for processing in the morning. Beside them is Buck's Bass Pro 110 offered with CPM 154 steel. Really surprising they weigh this considering they are only 8 weeks. This breed is easy to manage and check for a target weight. DM

They really do seem to be growing quickly! That is good.

I like your Bass Pro 110 with finger grooves. The blade finish looks great and so does that wood. Sharp looking knife (and I'm sure it's sharp too).

Thanks BuckShack. This breed grows rapidly. I'm surprised how much I've used that model. It is a 2008. This steel sharpens without much fuss and holds it's edge well. I like the solid heft of a 110. The steel and coating are a plus. It's a up grade like a custom shop knife. I processed chickens last year with this knife until it got dull. Then I merely stropped it to bring back a good edge. I did the same with my 334 Millennium Trapper this week. Two different steels and both required the same amount of stropping. Just trying to extend the life of the steel. Thanks. DM

I wish Buck would make this a regular production 110, at least the steel choice. I have bought several American made folders of note that use 154CM for the same price as I can buy a 110 with 420HC. So, I do not buy the expense argument.

That 110 should be a dandy for cutting up chicken for the grill. Any particular recipe you use on the meat while cooking?

Here is a chicken processed and cut up. You should end up with 11 pieces or cuts, not including the heart, liver and gizzard. That's 2 wings, 2 drums, 2 thighs, 2 breasts (split), pulley bone (or wishbone), back and neck. The back and neck with the heart and gizzard ( we even add a wing) are utilized in soup as grocery stretchers. Just add rice or noodles and vegetables with your favorite bread and this becomes a easy two day hearty meal. Not much preparation required. DM

Doc, thanks and I'll go there with you. Recalling these models ran right at 100$ with shipping to my door. The CMP steel is a good step up grade from the 154 CM steel. I can purchase the 154 CM steel for much less than the CPM 154 powder steel. Then this model has the coating added giving it an additional step up. The Custom Shop doesn't offer this feature. This coating really helps during cutting. Materials slide off the blade allowing it to penetrate better & quicker. The only thing that comes close is a mirror polished blade. Even then that feature doesn't give the steel the rust protective coat like this Ti coating. The coating on my model has not offered to come off. Unless one scrapes it on a sharpening stone. So, very well molded and hard. The results I get when using this knife and the Cabela's Alaskan Guide model are very consistent and predictable, long edge life and easy clean up. DM

You guys are making me hungry.I remember running barefoot after loose hens in west Texas as chicken poop squished between my toes .Caught them for my Grandmother,she wrang there necks,my job was dipping them in hot water after they quit flopping.

Hawk, I like your Alaskan Guide model. It will do you a good job,--- until YOu get tired.
Earl, soo good to see you on here. I knew you were familiar with these proceedings. I think our Grandmothers were related. As that was the manner it was done then. Mine saved all those feathers and put them in pillows. Nothing wasted back then. Thanks guys. DM

I suspected this. Yes, comfy they were. Mine sewed them from empty flour sacks. She could do so much with so little. Somebody gifted my Grandfather a Buck 301 before he passed. DM

Back