1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Farm Life

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Apr 24, 2016.

1. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Hey Haebbie.. Great pic!!:thumbsup:
    John

2. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    indeed, It's a Berlin race mix. three local races. You need more informations?

Haebbie

Thank you John :)

3. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    @jmh33 , was that you that wrote the article for the Buck employees newsletter? DM

4. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Not me David..
    John

5. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Crossbreed? Excuse my bad english please

Haebbie

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Haebbie, thank you. DM

7. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    got 4 pineapples comin' in. 20190320_183650.jpg 20190320_183646.jpg
    see if I can get em before the critters (not sure if raccoon, possum, or armadillo?) bite chunks out this time around. 20180617_161529.jpg

Lesknife, MolokaiRider, pjsjr and 7 others like this.
  8. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    jb, do those grow mostly year round? DM

9. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    yes Sir as plants. on producing pineapples.... they just seem to produce when they want though. noticed when I plant them around year or two before they produce. might go faster if I fertilized and gave 'em better soil. some never seem to produce and then pineapple. all of these came from the store and top cut off and planted. I really dont know much about them other than they like it here and seem to grow well as a plant but slowly.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Looks like raccoon or opossum. Armadillo's don't have front teeth, just gristle in the back. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  11. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    In your low quality sandy soils, mulch and fertilizer would help. You could prune with Buck's scissors to stimulate growth. DM

MolokaiRider and jbmonkey like this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I would not handle armadillos as several persons have gotten plague from them. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  13. trevorklat

trevorklat Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2015
    I think armadillos can sometimes transmit leprosy to humans. They are everywhere in South Texas and we would never touch them.

14. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    good info David. thank you Sir.

15. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Armadillos are good eat'n, they taste like pork.

16. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Just reading this thread, lots of good stuff. I grew up on the edge of the suburbs with a dairy farm across the street. I live in town now and don't have any stock, although I have friends who have chickens (for eggs). I put my effort into fruit - I have plum, peach, apricot, fig, valencia orange, tangelo, empire lemon, ponderosa lemon, and thompson seedless growing in my yard. Right now the tangelos are ripe and good eating.

I know what you mean about pests, I especially have problems keeping the birds away from my figs, and the tree rats wreak havoc on my grapes. All the neighborhood cats use my yard as the community litterbox, but they can't be bothered with the task of keeping the rodent population down. Any cat like that is worthless.

My favorite thing to do with beets is to boil a few beets and potatoes, cube them, add some shredded chicken, mix with mayonnaise and season with salt & pepper. It gets funny looks at work when I have it for lunch (nothing like a bright purple salad) but is sure tastes good.

BuckShack likes this.
  17. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    lambert, it this the same as a Russian salad? Dice them with your 110. Sounds good. We have trouble with rats too. DM

18. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here is some Austerlorp chicks purchased on 3-7. They will be replacement layers as our Tetras are 3 years old. DM
    Australorp.jpg

MolokaiRider, wildmike, pjsjr and 3 others like this.
  19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Austerlorp chicks today. They are feathered and all 12 have made it this far. Through some bad winter weather. DM
    AustralorpII.jpg

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Armadillos are known to also carry Chagas disease, an infection brought on from a bite or the feces of a kissing bug.
    This transmits a parasite which roams in the body and if untreated can cause heart failure. It is very difficult to get rid of, even if you have a 110. DM Here is a link from CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas/index.html

jbmonkey likes this.