Farm Life

When I get my screwed together 110 I'll give it a test drive on this Australorp rooster. A real world test. He's 14 weeks old and 5 lbs. is
normal for this large breed at this age. A Cornish Cross meat bird would weigh 10+ lbs. at this age. A big difference between dual purpose birds and meat birds. They are bred for feed conversion to meat. The Cornish is the chicken you buy packaged in the grocery store. DM
AustrolorpR.jpg

When I get my screwed together 110 I'll give it a test drive on this Australorp rooster. A real world test. He's 14 weeks old and 5 lbs. is
normal for this large breed at this age. A Cornish Cross meat bird would weigh 10+ lbs. at this age. A big difference between dual purpose birds and meat birds. They are bred for feed conversion to meat. The Cornish is the chicken you buy packaged in the grocery store. DM
View attachment 1146558

Packaged Cornish are also hen's. Being a rooster is he going to be chicken and homemade noodle soup?

Maybe. I think the meat should turn out alright marinaded over night & baked in the oven as he's not very old. Our played out hens are 3 1/2 years old and if we prepare them for the table it will take all day in the crock pot. But for dog food it won't require very long in the micro-wave. :) Or bone and dice the meat up (using the 931) for enchiladas. We store lots of roasted green chile in the freezer for this purpose.
The Colonel being a Nebraska farm boy, like fried chicken livers and I liked the gizzards. So, when he was still with us I would save these
parts and prepare them just like his mother did. He loved them with biscuits and gravy. Afterward my wife Always served him a slice of homemade apple pie. We have many apple farms in our county. The honey production from this is great! My 110 should be delivered by
tomorrow and that evening would be a good time as it cools down quickly here after sunset. Thanks, DM

I have always processed chicken in the manner my Grandmother taught me, with 9 pieces. 2- drums, 2- wings, 2- thighs, 2- breasts and 1- wishbone. The back and neck my wife uses for stock. My dogs get the mountain oysters and the liver, gizzard and heart are saved. The buzzards get the rest. DM

It cools down here fast also. It goes from 111 at 5p to 80 at 3:30a....:D:D:D:D

We always made the gravy with the gizzards, turkey included...

sass, I'm good with calling them gonads. I typed it in that manner so folks would know I was Not speaking of the oysters on a chicken. AS this is a totally different cut of meat, which we do eat and in the manner I process these are left with the thigh. A tasty morsel of dark meat. DM

Maybe. I think the meat should turn out alright marinaded over night & baked in the oven as he's not very old. Our played out hens are 3 1/2 years old and if we prepare them for the table it will take all day in the crock pot. But for dog food it won't require very long in the micro-wave. :) Or bone and dice the meat up (using the 931) for enchiladas. We store lots of roasted green chile in the freezer for this purpose.
The Colonel being a Nebraska farm boy, like fried chicken livers and I liked the gizzards. So, when he was still with us I would save these
parts and prepare them just like his mother did. He loved them with biscuits and gravy. Afterward my wife Always served him a slice of homemade apple pie. We have many apple farms in our county. The honey production from this is great! My 110 should be delivered by
tomorrow and that evening would be a good time as it cools down quickly here after sunset. Thanks, DM
You might want to check out the new quick Pressure Cooker combo Crock Pots out and about today! That Rooster with dry seasoning of your liking and a cup water would be tender moist delicious in about 28 minutes :thumbsup::thumbsup: I can say the 420hc has done just fine on my apple today :p
IMG_4466.JPG
No doubt old Blue with s90v will out shine as your Chicken Processor :)

Last edited:
???
We're at 6200 ft. el. and it will go from 90* at 5 pm to 58* at 10 pm. Dark at 8:30. DM

sass, I'm good with calling them gonads. I typed it in that manner so folks would know I was Not speaking of the oysters on a chicken. AS this is a totally different cut of meat, which we do eat and in the manner I process these are left with the thigh. A tasty morsel of dark meat. DM

We're at 400' 40 miles from the Mojave desert...

I'm just having fun with you DM, not at you....:D:D

My family has been farmers since the beginning of time, according to ancestry, the only thing left over from a chicken was the bones, except the wishbone and that was left to dry out and used for the purpose it was meant for, the rest got buried due to splintering, dogs can't eat them....

mine came Saturday. I ordered maybe a bit after yours Sir. I expect you'll see it soon. looking forward to the rooster carving report.

I'm at 63ft above sea level. I'm a flat lander...:)

Back