1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Farm Life

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by David Martin, Apr 24, 2016.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    When I get my screwed together 110 I'll give it a test drive on this Australorp rooster. A real world test. He's 14 weeks old and 5 lbs. is
    normal for this large breed at this age. A Cornish Cross meat bird would weigh 10+ lbs. at this age. A big difference between dual purpose birds and meat birds. They are bred for feed conversion to meat. The Cornish is the chicken you buy packaged in the grocery store. DM
    AustrolorpR.jpg

buckfynn, Hawkeye5, Xr6x and 3 others like this.
  2. onionfan

onionfan

Nov 29, 2008
    Love the titan.

Xr6x likes this.
  3. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Packaged Cornish are also hen's. Being a rooster is he going to be chicken and homemade noodle soup?

jbmonkey and Xr6x like this.
  4. bucklife301

bucklife301 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

jbmonkey and Xr6x like this.
  5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Maybe. I think the meat should turn out alright marinaded over night & baked in the oven as he's not very old. Our played out hens are 3 1/2 years old and if we prepare them for the table it will take all day in the crock pot. But for dog food it won't require very long in the micro-wave. :) Or bone and dice the meat up (using the 931) for enchiladas. We store lots of roasted green chile in the freezer for this purpose.
    The Colonel being a Nebraska farm boy, like fried chicken livers and I liked the gizzards. So, when he was still with us I would save these
    parts and prepare them just like his mother did. He loved them with biscuits and gravy. Afterward my wife Always served him a slice of homemade apple pie. We have many apple farms in our county. The honey production from this is great! My 110 should be delivered by
    tomorrow and that evening would be a good time as it cools down quickly here after sunset. Thanks, DM

MolokaiRider, Xr6x and jbmonkey like this.
  6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I have always processed chicken in the manner my Grandmother taught me, with 9 pieces. 2- drums, 2- wings, 2- thighs, 2- breasts and 1- wishbone. The back and neck my wife uses for stock. My dogs get the mountain oysters and the liver, gizzard and heart are saved. The buzzards get the rest. DM

Xr6x and jbmonkey like this.
  7. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    Aren't chickens gonads called mole hills??:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    It cools down here fast also. It goes from 111 at 5p to 80 at 3:30a....:D:D:D:D

We always made the gravy with the gizzards, turkey included...

9. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    ???
    We're at 6200 ft. el. and it will go from 90* at 5 pm to 58* at 10 pm. Dark at 8:30. DM

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    sass, I'm good with calling them gonads. I typed it in that manner so folks would know I was Not speaking of the oysters on a chicken. AS this is a totally different cut of meat, which we do eat and in the manner I process these are left with the thigh. A tasty morsel of dark meat. DM

jbmonkey and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  11. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    You might want to check out the new quick Pressure Cooker combo Crock Pots out and about today! That Rooster with dry seasoning of your liking and a cup water would be tender moist delicious in about 28 minutes :thumbsup::thumbsup: I can say the 420hc has done just fine on my apple today :p
    IMG_4466.JPG
    No doubt old Blue with s90v will out shine as your Chicken Processor :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    pjsjr, jbmonkey and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, thanks. DM

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  13. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    We're at 400' 40 miles from the Mojave desert...

I'm just having fun with you DM, not at you....:D:D

My family has been farmers since the beginning of time, according to ancestry, the only thing left over from a chicken was the bones, except the wishbone and that was left to dry out and used for the purpose it was meant for, the rest got buried due to splintering, dogs can't eat them....

jbmonkey likes this.
  14. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Ill bet that bird hopes theres a problem with USPS. lol

buckfynn, Xr6x and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  15. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Xr6x , I have used ole blue to process many chickens. It did well. I have not tested the screwed together frame 110. DM

Xr6x and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Mak, I'm hoping there is no hold up in this knife's delivery. DM

17. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    mine came Saturday. I ordered maybe a bit after yours Sir. I expect you'll see it soon. looking forward to the rooster carving report.

I'm at 63ft above sea level. I'm a flat lander...:)

18. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    You'll like your's DM, mine came yesterday and it's purdy nice. I think it's more red than orange....

Xr6x and jbmonkey like this.
  19. skylercstevens

skylercstevens Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Renegade outlaws passing through.
    27C5D887-8AFD-4596-BC6A-D0E29530251E.jpeg

TAH, Xr6x, MolokaiRider and 2 others like this.
  20. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    We live on the only hill in Bakersfield. So if we go down to town they're about the same as you jb....

jbmonkey likes this.