Farm Life

Thanks David. I'm big bore junkie. It's no coincidence that I take a lot of pride in one shot kills too. The Ruger .454 Casull is no more a "spray and pray" gun than the .45-70 Marlin. I've got a long slide 10mm Glock 40 which gets more love than Super Redhawk as of late.

It's probably more painless than the Redhawk...

The S90V 110 might just be the best 110 made to date. I'm rarely afield without it. Sure I carry a slim pro most days, but opening little more than the mail.
That’s a nice setup you have! I’m a Ruger and Marlin fan myself as well as Buck Knives. I have a Ruger Blackhawk and a Marlin 1894fg both in .41 Rem magnum. Also like the Hogue monogrips they sure save the fingers with heavy loads.

This model 110 performed very well on this task. It went right through it and cut without hesitation. Even when wet the handle remained
in full control in my hand. An important feature for this work. I think it could have finished several more. After clean up I check the blade
for burring and found about 1 1/2" of burring. So, I stropped this off and it's back to a clean edge. You could do the same with a steel. All of this is very normal after some knife work like this. You'll likely notice the same after cleaning some fish or rabbits. I cut at the joints and avoid bones except when splitting the cavity at the ribs / lower breast area. When separating the thighs, back, neck and breast I use the hatchet with a push from the heel of my hand. The oyster stays on each thigh. Should you do this (raising chickens for the freezer) the rule of thumb is 50% of live wt. will make it into the freezer. A great project and I'll do some more later. Thanks, DM

Thanks David, That’s some good educational information and the photos are a plus for anyone not familiar with the process of butchering poultry. I started out helping butcher when I was around 6 or 7 years old . Mostly plucking feathers at first and each time I would have a bit more responsibility as I learned till around 12 years old it was my chore to do on my own. My kids started the same way but by the time they were old enough we had to many things to going on and had to get out of raising chickens. I do miss being on a farm and ranch.

I wish my grandkids could take part in butchering for meat to have that basic life skill. You never know what may come and having knowledge and skills can make a difference.

Les, thanks. I really like hearing your thoughts on this topic. We raised our kids just like you. Now, they all have the knowledge of how to process chickens. So, much is lost in kids today. And it was lost in the adults before them. I still enjoy raising most everything we eat. DM

Back