Farmer Knife and Himalayan Survival Knife Redux

if sgt khadka did a farm knife... hoo boy :)

still waiting for his new creations.

Bladite

Ditto. IIRC, Sgt. was at the Puja that was recently done, so maybe something's coming our way.

Since he was referring to the quote from my post, I think he is thinking what I was, if Rajkumar were to make a Farm Knife...

I am sure that the good Sgt would make a nice one too but was more thinking along the ornate lines...

Farmer Knife needs to be a regular offering in the HI catalog. That is a great design. :thumbup:

Farmer Knife needs to be a regular offering in the HI catalog. That is a great design. :thumbup:

I honestly don't think there is a regular catalog anymore.

We ask and she has them made.

That is the catalog. :) So, as long as we keep asking for these Farm Knives...

I have been handling the FK quite a bit over the last couple of days, and I really think this one of the best "beta" knives I've seen come out of HI.

Generally speaking, when we ask for something (especially without sending a physical sample to the kamis), the first knife to come back is about 85% what we asked for if we are lucky. That's not knocking the kamis at all. Think about it, we're fighting language barriers, distance, and expectations balanced what we THINK works and what the kamis KNOW what works.
Usually after the second or third run we get a 90-95% knife compromising what we wanted with what the kamis can do.

From concept to design to manufacture to finished product...I'm really impressed. The FK is not some unwieldy brute. Where the AKB was basically by design to be a sharpened prybar (Remember, Cobalt et al set out to once and for all design THE nuke proof bowie), the FK dances. The balance is superb. It would be at home in the hands of an outdoor enthusiast looking for chopper that could do the fine stuff in a pinch as well as the hands of a more martial minded individual looking to balance power with finesse.

The scabbard that came with the FK is very well done. It fits like a glove and rides high. It could use a little bit of a cant if one were wanting to have it at the ready for a fast draw. However, most of us using it for a camping and hiking blade might find the stock scabbard great since it does ride so high. No banging into your leg and with flannel over-shirt this 16+" monster is practically invisible to any sheeple that might take exception to your chopper.

I'm going to design and maybe start on a prototype sheath for it today. I have some leather that is armor-thick that I can't figure out what to do with. It's too thick to wet mold, too tough to cut at rounded angles by hand, and too heavy for smaller belt knives. What is might be good for is thick multi-layered sheets to build a sheath. The FK lines should be easy enough to cut since they are fairly straight, the weld of the sheath should make for a durable guard for the stitching, and the over all stiffness should yield something that is heavy enough to offset the weight yet fast on the draw. I'm still toying with the idea, but I'm thinking something that ties to the thigh for easier access.

in the software industry, we're happy if the stuff we ask for is 50% ;)

a fast draw sheath might be interesting. perhaps a teflon/cutting-board-material weld? plastic liner... some kind of protected throat? mmm.

Bladite

Jake, how thick is that armor leather you have? I had to sandwich 3 pieces to do a welts for my M43 & 20" AK = 7/16". Might you be up for a sq' to sq' trade for tooling grade 8~9oz leather?

What's the wrap on the survival?

Hope you guys don't mind but how does one actually attach it to a staff to make a spear? What keeps it on?

I'm really liking this one, but I've spent too much money on steel already. Would actually like it if it's differentially hardened and larger.

Great pix and review, thank you Jake

What's the wrap on the survival?

Hope you guys don't mind but how does one actually attach it to a staff to make a spear? What keeps it on?

I'm really liking this one, but I've spent too much money on steel already. Would actually like it if it's differentially hardened and larger.

The HSK would probably be a friction fit spear head. It's irregular enough in shape that you would have to sort of custom fit it to the shaft anyway. If you wanted, You could probably screw a wood screw into the top of the shaft to make it expand and fill the cavity completely. However, in survival mode, it really wouldn't be needed. You'd be using this as a last ditch survival weapon/hunting tool. It doesn't have to last 10 battles, I just needs to fend off/bring down one hog.

Unlike the CS Bushman, the HSK is not really designed to be a cheap beater where you buy one for 15 bucks, stick it on a broom handle and beat the tar out of it. The Bushman, at the price point has that niche filled. The HSK is much harder at the blade edge in order to sharp much longer than the BM. It probably won't flex as well. However, it's also as Howard reported 3 times heavier. It's a fantastic survival knife that does survival stuff well (cuts, batons, chops, digs, is one solid piece) that can be pressed into a defensive/hunting role if need be.

I would feel more than well equipped with one on my hip during a hiking trip. Perfect do it all knife:thumbup:

Back