Farmer X

The farmer x may be a bit too large for me but it’s really exciting to see Victorinox making new alox models. Hopefully the trend will continue.

An alox usually has a one layer thinner profile than the equivalent cellidor model. As such you're getting a Huntsman for the thickness of a Camper. That's a good package!

I’m pretty committed to the huntsman pattern, because of the scale tools. I will definitely pick up a couple of Farmer X sfo in different colors though.

I think hikers may find this SAK variation very useful. I think that it's a good idea.

Does this make the Farmer X a 4-layer SAK? Three is about my limit and I will only carry a 3-layer inside a bag of some sort such as hiking.

Last edited:
I think hikers may find this SAK variation very useful. I think that it's a good idea.

Does this make the Farmer X a 4-layer SAK? Three is about my limit and I will only carry a 3-layer inside a bag of some sort such as hiking.

Yep.. 4 it is..:D
John

It will be a 4 layer Alox, which will make it about the same thickness overall as the 3 layer Celidor Climber. I wanted the Phillips driver on mine, so it ended up being 5 layers.

I've got a couple Farmer's in my packs but I *always* have a small Cellidor scaled SAK in my pocket no matter what else I may be carrying in the other (or in a pack as the case may be). I simply cannot do without the tweezers and toothpick!

I've had my red Farmer with scissors for many years. I can't remember what I paid for the mod, but I'm thinking it was north of $100 plus the doner knife. It is my edc for when I leave the house. While it's my favorite pocket knife, I've had some regrets in that I tend to baby it more than my other SAKs because it was irreplaceable. I'm glad to see a factory version.

While it is obviously thicker, that extra thickness feels good in the hand. For me (a lefty,) the lanyard hole thingie doesn't dig into my hand when using it. (I've filed the thingie off on my standard Farmer.)
For what it's worth, my standard Farmer weighs 3.06 oz. My Farmer with scissors is 3.7 ounces.

Sounds like you might have to wait for a limited edition release down the road a bit like they do with the Pioneers. These new things keep the knife hobby rolling!

Yeah.. I know.. Dagnabit..:( Gives me more time to save..:D
John

Be the first one on your block to have a Farmer X...
wXvEvQC.jpg

photo taken from a DLT email offer

Granted, it was 2008 when I bought my pair of Farmers but they were $16.88 each shipped from Amazon. Just sayin'...

I don't remember the year, but I think I paid $14 from Amazon (or maybe it was QVC.) In any case, those were not normal prices for that knife. They were special runs made for at least one of those two companies.

Back