Farmer X

I don't know about QVC but you think Victorinox made special runs of the standard Farmer in silver Alox for Amazon? I mean, it was/is the same knife as they were already selling. Regardless, SCORE! ;)

Yes these do look nice. I have a custom alox farmer with scissors but the scissors on it have always been disappointing, because they didn't have the correct back spring they don't have any snap. I had been considering a pioneer x to use as a donor knife to replace the scissors on my custom, which I may still do. On the Farmer X I think I will hold out for a more colorful version.
I remember those deals on the farmer on Amazon. I got a couple red farmers in 2007 for $14.52 each. I do remember that as being an unusually good price at the time, in retrospect it was a crazy good price and I should have snagged a few more.

2007 was 13 years ago. ;)
Things have risen in price a lot, and what might be practically free now might have been just affordable back then.

I don't know about QVC but you think Victorinox made special runs of the standard Farmer in silver Alox for Amazon? I mean, it was/is the same knife as they were already selling. Regardless, SCORE! ;)

It was a long time ago, but as I remember it...

At the time, Victorinox had discontinued red alox. All that was available at the time was silver. Then QVC and Amazon had special runs made in red, and for very low prices. I think I bought 5 or 6 and gave most of them away as gifts. I kept two. One remained as it was. The other got modded by adding scissors. The latter is my edc for when I leave the house. With or without the scissors, it's a great knife.
The other thing I remember about all this is that I got dinged for Deal Spotting when I got on here and stupidly alerted all my knife friends about it.

Well, my two were silver Alox, not red. I do have a couple red Cadets, however.

49948453272_e38564870e_c.jpg

4 layers, 109 g , utility knife

I got the Farmer X as companion outdoors tool this weekend and I got to appreciate the good old SAK again. Only thing that it missed as perfect outdoor tool is the pliers (pot lifting, turning meat on the pan etc..).

I do hate the keyring holder though and I grinded it off. So much more comfortable now.

I got the Farmer X as companion outdoors tool this weekend and I got to appreciate the good old SAK again. Only thing that it missed as perfect outdoor tool is the pliers (pot lifting, turning meat on the pan etc..).

I do hate the keyring holder though and I grinded it off. So much more comfortable now.
I hate, I mean hate that lanyard/key ring. It digs into my hand. What did you use to grind it off?

I hate, I mean hate that lanyard/key ring. It digs into my hand. What did you use to grind it off?

I cut most that I could with sidecutters. Then I covered the scales with electric tape and carefully grinded the rest with files (optimally a narrow one). Dremel would be even easier but you need to be careful to not scratch things up. It’s very soft (aluminum) so you don’t really need that much force, just precision.

Back