Favorite blade shape and multi or single bladed knives

For those that prefer tantos do you like the compound grind or the same bevel all the way across?

Hollow grind with the flat grind after the yokote is not my preference. Strangely, I have two knives that ARE like that now (it seems to be getting popular) so I guess I can't say that I hate it.

I prefer the same grind before and after the yokote. I had a knife once that was zero ground ahead of the yokote and that was pretty cool, I'd like to see some more of that.

I don't think a hollow grind is necessary to achieve good cutting geometry. Use an appropriately thick blade and then use a narrow shinogi and you can get pretty thin at the edge if that's what you want without the shorter life of a hollow grind.

With a wider shinogi you can do a full zero grind and get more realistic final edge geometry.

I like single blade drop points, but also multi blades, I try to have both on me.

Thats my preference but of course I do not stick to that all the time, I like all types of points and grinds

Hollow grind with the flat grind after the yokote is not my preference. Strangely, I have two knives that ARE like that now (it seems to be getting popular) so I guess I can't say that I hate it.

I prefer the same grind before and after the yokote. I had a knife once that was zero ground ahead of the yokote and that was pretty cool, I'd like to see some more of that.

I don't think a hollow grind is necessary to achieve good cutting geometry. Use an appropriately thick blade and then use a narrow shinogi and you can get pretty thin at the edge if that's what you want without the shorter life of a hollow grind.

With a wider shinogi you can do a full zero grind and get more realistic final edge geometry.

Thanks for the detailed response man. I prefer full flats. I know tantos are more commonly a "stabbing " knife so I see the need for the thicker tip. Just personally not a fan of the aesthetics of compound grinds

What is your favorite blade shape, and how much does it influence your purchases? Do you favor multi or single bladed knives?

My current favorite blade shape is the clip point. Just aesthetically pleasing to my eye. The one blade shape that I really don't care for is the tanto.
I much prefer single bladed knives...at least for now ;)
My favorite is clip point as well. I have been carrying my Case Trapper a lot lately.

I neglected to mention the CRK Insingo blade. I have a small, and a large Sebenza 21 with micarta inlay. So I would have to add that, and perhaps a well done sheepsfoot.

I don’t like tantos. I once got rid of a knife because it had a tanto blade. Not too fond of trailing points. The one on an Opinel is pretty subtle, but I still usually drop the points of the ones I carry. I generally prefer single blades, whather modern or traditional, but I also like to have a straight-edged blade on me, so it’s two knives or a multi-blade that includes a straight edge: stockman, Improved Muskrat, SAK Electrician.

Spear / Drop / Clip with a swedge... I have 4-5 multi-blade that's all. No tantos, Sheepfoot, warncliff, kukris, carambis and such patterns. And for machetes, I like a plain vanilla Latin design.

I like the classic look but I'm not very found of scales made with bones, ivory, stag, wood etc... Not really because I don't like how they look but because I damage them too fast. I like G10, Micarta and I'm also quite fond of leather handles.

Back