Favorite Book Series - here are mine - what are yours?

harleyguy02 - That series looks good!

Should I start chronologically with American Assassin? or go by publication date? (with Transfer of Power)

I appreciate the generosity of your offer. I've got credits on my audible.com account - ready to pull the trigger on this one.

Dan

I think I have started the Wheel of Time series 3 or 4 times. I just can't seem to get into it. It is very slow at first. Since I do my reading while working...slow books = slow work....action/thriller books = better productivity. So, I end up reading lots of thrillers/suspense/mystery/etc.

It's not ideal and somewhat one-dimensional (says my wife :D), but hey, that's who I am...and that's what works for me.

Dan

harleyguy02 - That series looks good!

Should I start chronologically with American Assassin? or go by publication date? (with Transfer of Power)

I appreciate the generosity of your offer. I've got credits on my audible.com account - ready to pull the trigger on this one.

Dan

Dan,

You want to read them in order:

Chronological Order Of The Mitch Rapp Storyline
The Mitch Rapp story begins with American Assassin, followed by Kill Shot, Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power, Memorial Day, Consent to Kill, Act of Treason, Protect and Defend, Extreme Measures, Pursuit of Honor and The Last Man (November 2012).

They are easy, fast moving reads.. I don't think any of them took me more that 2 days to plow thru..

Buy the first one, and see how you like it.. then let me know.. I have every book just sitting on my shelves at home, happy to send them to you.

I just got books 5 and 6 of the Dark Tower series. Looking forward to continuing this journey. After I think I'll
explore a few of your suggestions Dan :thumbup:

Song of ice and fire is great I think but Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles are amazing in my opinion.

:thumbup::D I can't wait for Rothfuss to finish the 3rd book. Another great series (well the first book was exceptionally good) is The Emberverse series by S. M. Stirling.

Lord of the Rings
The Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Kingkiller Chronicles
The Black Company (only read the first three books)
The First Law
A Song of Ice and Fire

It sounds like there may be a sequel to American Gods in the works. If the second is anything like the first I'm sure it will join the list. I just bought the Foundation Trilogy, I'm hoping it's as good as The End of Eternity; I'll start that once I finish Best Served Cold by Abercrombie.

The Farseer series was also pretty good. That and the first four or so books in the Sigma series by James Rollins, they just became to repetitive though.

now reading the latest Dan Brown book - Inferno. Anyone else?
Dan

I have several favorite series over the years. From the Jerry Ahern "Survivalist" series (though these are incredibly hard to find), to anything "Discworld" related from Terry Pratchett (he's the comic sci-fi king IMO!)

Is Inferno any good so far? Brown is usually a little too formulaic, but they make for really good beach books.

Formulaic - yes, of course. I won't *truly* know until I finish the book...but it seems like it so far.

Something new - Langdon starts off by suffering some retrograde amnesia and has to "trace back" the facts/events/people/story/etc...to figure it all out.

But like you said, it's still quite enjoyable. Especially to anyone who likes art/numerology/symbols/conspiracy/history/etc.

Dan

If you like Dan Brown then you really need to try the earlier books in James Rollins Sigma series of novels. Same basic idea in regards to symbolism, mythology, cults/organizations, etc.

Really enjoying the foundation trilogy so far, on the third now.

Last edited:
Nobody's mentioned Ted Bell yet. His Alex Hawke series is pretty good.

Matthew Rielly's Scarecrow series is excellent! Nonstop action.

Simon Green's Nightside series is a fun read too.

Great suggestions, guys. I've added them to my to-read list. :thumbup:

The Hannibal Quadrilogy (is that a word?)
-Red Dragon
-Silence of the Lambs
-Hannibal (he purchases three Spyderco knives in this one :p )
-Hannibal Rising

Dark Tower series (did you read the throwback novel King just released for this?)

Song of Ice and Fire. IMO, the first three books were tremendous. Nobody can get you inside such a variety of characters' heads as Martin, and do it so well. However the story and characters really struggled for me in the latter books, and I'm pretty uninterested in what is to come after being let down by Dance with Dragons.

Tried to like Wheel of Time, but I couldn't do it. Everything was too cliche but bearable early on, and then got even worse about four books in.

Chronicles of Narnia. Loved these as a kid, and these were probably the books that sealed my fate as someone who will always daydream of fantasy settings. Haven't read them as an adult to see if they stand up to my reading standards now, though.

Dang, I know there's more. I've read a lot of mediocre series, but there have got to be some good ones I'm forgetting....

So the Foundation Trilogy was really good. Classic Assimov, crazy ideas that support relatively shallow characters. I personally enjoyed The End of Eternity more, but it was absolutely worth reading.

Dan,
Nice to see another Iron Druid fan! I'm usually not too keen on first person novels, but this series sucked me in and won't let go. I have recently added the Grimoire novella and Hunted to my kindle, but haven't started them yet. They are definitely in the must read category.
As far as other series:
Malazan Books of the Fallen series
Lord of the Rings
Vince Flynn/Mitch Rapp series (shame Vince passed away RIP)
Night Angel Trilogy
Brian Ruckley's Godless World trilogy (dark and gritty, very enjoyable epic fantasy)
David Gemmel's Troy trilogy (historical fiction)
Conn Iggulden's Genghis series (historical fiction)
I'm with you on the Song of Ice and Fire. I just couldn't get into it.

John

Back