Favorite Canoe?

Hey, all! I've been away from BFC for a while now. Looking to pickup a new knife and I got a hankering for another Canoe. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for a good Canoe before I just go and pickup another Case. Currently my favorite is the Case in CV, although I was given a Bulldog by a fellow forum member a while back that is also pretty sweet. Thanks in advance for any buying tips!

GEC just released a canoe pattern for the first time. While I dont own the canoe pattern, I do own a few of their knives. Highly recomend you give them a shot :)

Queen in D2 in Maple or Amber Stagbone

Single spring
The main blade is very stout but thins out nicely
The secondary pen blade is thin and laser sharp
Patinas over a long time to a nice grey
An excellent knife, and reasonably priced

(this was givenaway)
attachment.php

This is my user
attachment.php

The only Canoe is a C. Schlieper, Solingen in stag. That´s a nice knife. You should look for it - maybe the C. Schlieper Canoe pattern is available in the US...

Old Boy, Welcome to the Traditional forum!
That is one Beautiful stag Canoe you have there:thumbup:
Love those nail nicks!

Old Boy, Welcome to the Traditional forum!
That is one Beautiful stag Canoe you have there:thumbup:
Love those nail nicks!

Thanks for your welcome, sit flyer.

These nail nicks are typical for nearly all Carl Schlieper / German Eye knives ... because they are looking a little bit like "eyelashes" :)
Only some of the stainless Schlieper blades don't have them.

I'm wrestling with several GECs at the moment including the new canoe; hardest choice yet! With all they offer it sure makes it hard on a traditional addict! At least I know this much if it is the canoe it will definitely be the Tidioute as I don't care for lines and dimples on the canoe pattern!

Also another "welcome" Old Boy:thumbup: I agree with Duane in that's a great "Canoe" there.

I'm really partial to the old CASE 1970's Canoe's. I love the main blade etch---not everyone does though:)

pb2701082.jpg

pb2701062.jpg

pb2701092.jpg

Paul

Just received a new GEC canoe in tulipwood, it is a sweet little knife. Definitely different from the Case, a tiny bit wider which makes it feel great in the hand.

I really wish I didn't look at those Eye Brand canoes, now I want one :D

The single spring Queens are my favorite, followed closely by the Eye Brand.

I'm really partial to the old CASE 1970's Canoe's. I love the main blade etch---not everyone does though:)

The etch is one reason I have seriously considered looking for one of these Case canoes, even though the pattern is not one that calls out to me. With my native American heritage, it seems appropriate to have one as a memento.

Beautiful knife Paul!

GEC just released their #16 Canoes. They're 3 1/2" closed and single spring. Its the only true canoe I have. Another option is a Canal Street Cutlery Cannitler. It has 2 springs, D2 steel, and an extra coping blade.
IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

I just have this one, your original idea, and thought I'd post it.

I like the blade etch as well. Not as nice as Paul's but I love it.

6383539759_3642e1a43c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Since you already have at least two canoes, you should think about picking up a Case raindrop damascus model. Also keep an eye on GEC because they will be bringing more to the market soon.

I like the Queen amber stag bone, make sure your retailer will give you a satisfaction guarantee. You also get D2 steel. :thumbup:

Ed J

Last edited:
another vote for the Case, I like the Amber Bone, but now that I know they made a Damascus version( thanks Ed! ) and haven't got a GEC yet,it's my favorite for the time being...

IMG_3291_zps5c7e2164.jpg

Last edited:
Trand how are you liking your new ebony #16 IG? Here's a image for those that said they like the look of the etch and I too am prideful of my native heritage...
004-4.jpg

Mr. Patina has since covered it up!

Oh wow, I didn't know they put out a canoe slipjoint. The last I knew, their canoe knife was a fixed blade. I'll take a look at these. For the OP, take a look at these as well!
GEC just released their #16 Canoes. They're 3 1/2" closed and single spring. Its the only true canoe I have. Another option is a Canal Street Cutlery Cannitler. It has 2 springs, D2 steel, and an extra coping blade.
IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Back