Favorite folders from American companies under $35

What are your favorite folders, designed and sold by American companies even if manufactured elsewhere, that you can buy under $35? For each one you list, what do you like about it?

A few of mine:
  • Kershaw Injection 3.5. Strong lockup, nice blade profile with the Rexford design, big thick handles. The 8Cr13MoV steel took me 5 minutes to get to shaving sharp, but it wasn't bad right out of the box. Did I mention price? $13.99 at BladeHq. :)
  • Buck Small Selkirk. Very nice flat ground blade profile. 0.75" thick handles, super comfortable to hold onto, in fact more so than some of my higher $$ folders. Mine has just a LITTLE blade movement, but lockup is solid. Blade comes shaving sharp.
  • Ontario Rat 2. Slim profile, weighs about 2.7 oz. Great for lightweight carry. Strong lockup, comfortable designed grip though slim, nice Aus 8 steel that is easy to sharpen, like the other two.

Reactions: Mo2
The Buck 110 is the best knife you'll find in this category and is actually made here in the USA by a great family owned company who treats their customers right. It's such an iconic American Classic and was my absolute holy Grail as a kid. It's just a great knife and you either love it or you don't.
( Often found at Walmart for 28$ aroun the holidays , though mine was $36 )
Next would be the Case sodbuster, more specifically the jr which is also actually made in the USA. ( Mine was $30 at the local hardware and are about $25 most places) it's a great utilitarian blade, and is called a sodbuster for a reason ;) the Case sodbuster is iconic here in America, but has roots way back in Germany and throughout the old world as a proper workin' folder.

Last edited:
Let's see, The RAT 1 and RAT 2 both come to mind. So does the Kabar/ Dozier folding hunter. All three are decent knives for the cash asked. The Utilitac 2 also comes to mind at about 29-35 dollars. These three knives are what I recommend to people wanting a decent budget knife for a little cash.

My favorite has to be the Dozier #4065. I think that is the model number. It has a small hole in the blade instead of a thumb stud.

Some of my favourite budget blades are the Kershaw Emersons and g10 Cryo.

Kershaw definitely has some good stuff. Just because theh are at the lower end of the price spectrnum doesn't mean they are bad. Though they obviously have some better stuff too.

Sadly Kershaw used to make higher end knives, now only zt does.

Rat 2, definitely, love mine. I also have a Rat 1 for use of a large folder, and can buy in walmart here now. for $28-30 either are really hard to beat @ value imo, their AUS steel is great and comes very sharp from the factory.
Buck 110 is classic and a solid knife, but heavier if planning to carry and has no pocket clip. I have one, just prefer others for carry/use for some reason.

Case Sodbuster JR in CV.

Gonna use it on my after lunch apple at my desk right now. :cool:

I picked up one of the new made in USA Gerber Sharkbellys for a buddies birthday and they're a really nice affordable USA made knife. Another just over the $35 mark is a Spyderco FRN UKPK.

k5LuFHcl.jpg

:D

Rat 2
Kershaw Cryo
Kershaw Volt II
Kershaw OSO Sweet
Kershaw Chill
Kershaw Injection

Geez, we have some similar tastes in inexpensive folders. :D I have 5 of the knives in your list, all but the OSO.

Honestly, when I compare some really well-built Kershaw folders, like the Injection, to some of my high $$ folders: sure the more expensive ones are more refined in design, use better materials, and maybe go twice as long between sharpening due to using harder steels. They definitely have a few advantages. But in terms of knife fundamentals--things like a solid comfortable grip with good ergos, good strong lock-up, blade profile that is good at common cutting/slicing/piercing tasks, actual cutting performance, and use of a steel that is easy to sharpen, resists corrosion, etc--these knives are virtually the equal of my expensive folders. My $13.99 Injection performs every bit as well at real world knife tasks than my $240 ZT 0561. In fact, BETTER at every day cutting tasks, due to the Injection having a thinner blade profile. It's really true, you don't have to spend a ton to get a great knife.

Buck Vantage Select is a nice knife that can be found for under 20 bucks.
Buck Vantage. https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-Vantage-Select-Large--5581
Great thin grind. Good bos treated steel. Merica

An enthusiastic :thumbsup:. I'm an absolute fan, with Selects both large and small. Also in the stash is a 110 that I save for sustained cutting jobs. It's the most comfortable blade I own for that kind of work.

Thanks, this thread made me pull the trigger on a Buck Vantage, LOL. Been eyeing one for a while now.

You won't be sorry.

CQC-4KXL . I paid ~$26 for a new in clamshell . Surprisingly ,near perfect in function and finish . 4" Blade is like an SE dagger . Very stabby for SD but also a good one for any slicing and utility use .

But , wait ... ain't Kai a Japanese owned co. ? Maybe should be" off limits" like Ganzo ?

Last edited:
Back