Favorite Front Flipper

I haven't used too many front flippers. The only two I can remember handling are the Boos Blades Smoke and the Boker Exskelibur 1. The former I owned and sold, and the latter I own and intend to keep, because it is exactly what I want, aesthetically speaking (the minimalism is beautiful), and it slices like a dream. I'm not saving anyone from cars on fire, nor do I need to fend for myself in the jungle, so the knife is really all I need it to be.

What are your thoughts on the matchup of these two? Or, if you're unfamiliar with one (or both) of them, what is your favorite front flipper?

The only front flipper I have is the Olamic Busker, which I really like. Great action, super fun.

Thinking about picking up one of the new Boos Blades Smoke preorders. Very tempting.

Kizer Feist.
It is surprisingly well crafted.

Feist1.JPG

I might have asked before, but what are the largest production front flippers? Anything in a 3.75 - 4 inch range? I think one of the biggest is the Bestech Shinkansen at ~3.6 inches. Anything larger? I have a Real Steel G5 Puuko which is quite nice and I wanted to add another front flipper. Also as a random side note, you can front flip a Spyderco Shaman if you don't like your thumbs and give it some wrist, neither comfortable nor fun though. :D

I was told by Andre Thorburn that he doesn't use a front flipper on his larger knives because after a certain size they become difficult to actuate properly. So I would guess that is why we see mostly <3.5" blades on front flippers.

OP Right now the best stuff is in the custom/mid-tech world. More specifically the South African makers. Production wise front flippers are only recently picking up in popularity. There should be more coming within the next year or two.
Check out Trevor Burger's site. He has a Field Grade line that may cost less than a typical custom

Last edited:
Smoke is pretty hard to beat, loving mine. It’s like a 940 and an 0450 had a full flat grind baby, but with better fit n finish than both, and a front flipper. Plus I can spydie-flick it so it’s pretty great.

Pulled this baby out just for this thread. She was a little gunky and a little dusty but she's now wearing a fresh coat of CLP. Cold Steel 33C UltraLock clip point circa 1994 featuring it's trademarked (!) ThumbGlide opening system, "just like using a Bic lighter."

IMG-20181121-234454.jpg

IMG-20181121-234425.jpg

So far my fav is a Kizer feist.
I have a 3.25" shamwari on the way. So ill see which one i like better. Where is Lapedog Lapedog ? He love him some FF.

The Exskelibur 1 kind of spoils you for anything else. :) Mine has the cocobolo scales and is one of my favorite folders out of around 200 or so, including a few front flippers (G3-G5-2 or 3 others). Good looking, smooth, slices like a dream (as you said), VERY light. Imaluvit! :D

I might have asked before, but what are the largest production front flippers? Anything in a 3.75 - 4 inch range? I think one of the biggest is the Bestech Shinkansen at ~3.6 inches. Anything larger? I have a Real Steel G5 Puuko which is quite nice and I wanted to add another front flipper. Also as a random side note, you can front flip a Spyderco Shaman if you don't like your thumbs and give it some wrist, neither comfortable nor fun though. :D

Check out the Katsu knives Titanium framelocks. These are the biggest production front flippers I know about with 4 inch blade and is very well built, well worth the asking price if a big front flipper is what you want.

g25N64K.jpg

566rmpM.jpg

Btw my fav production front flipper? I can only go based off ones I have owned so Kizer Feist. Its just so portable and handy.

Pulled this baby out just for this thread. She was a little gunky and a little dusty but she's now wearing a fresh coat of CLP. Cold Steel 33C UltraLock clip point circa 1994 featuring it's trademarked (!) ThumbGlide opening system, "just like using a Bic lighter."

IMG-20181121-234454.jpg

IMG-20181121-234425.jpg

I think there was a Kershaw that had a similar opening system to this. That jimping that goes around the tang and is exposed all around the pivot area. I can’t remember the name though.

Back