Favorite hunting knife?

Browsed a few pages and then used the search function....Couldn't find any mention of a grohmann in this thread. I carry a Grohmann #1 as a hunting knife and also just as a general purpose camping/hiking knife. Love it. I'm a huge grohmann fan. Will one day own a complete set of their knives. Currently have a #1, #4, short blade skinner and a drop point hunter from them. Next purchase will probably be a #2. Also have a couple of r murphy copies of the #1 in caerbon steel that stay in the camping geaer. Wife really enjoys them.

I carry an opinel #8 (pocket) or a mora 2/0 (pack) as a spare in the woods.

I have been looking for my "perfect" hunting knife for a while now and have gone through several trying to find it. Its kinda turned into my favorite 4 or 5 instead of the perfect 1.
Here's where im at right now.

Bark River Montana Guide
Hall Handmade Clip Point Hunter
Chris Reeve Nyala
Bob Dozier White River Skinner

Very tough to go wrong with a Cold Steel Master Hunter.

Now I am in love with my Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner. It is fantastic!

It's funny going back through this thread. Just over 2 years ago, on post #63, I stated my favorite hunting knife was a Fiddleback Bushfinger. It was true statement at the time. But after using different designs, I sold that particular knife and the newer one that replaced it. Now I favor the BRKT Gunny. For my use, this has been my favorite so far. I like the blade shape, grind and A2 steel. In fact, I can field dress and debone many deer without a a touchup on the blade.
Since the blade height is shorter than the Bushfinger, I find it it much more maneuverable. It's easier to remove meat cleaner without hacking it up.

I'll check back in a few years to see if my choice is the same or not. ;)

Schmittie, I just bought a Bravo EDC, which is like a smaller Gunny. Figuring it will make a great whitetail knife.

I have been looking for my "perfect" hunting knife for a while now and have gone through several trying to find it. Its kinda turned into my favorite 4 or 5 instead of the perfect 1.

Bark River Montana Guide
Chris Reeve Nyala

Love the top 3, but prefer a wee bit thinner blade from edge to spine.

The Gunny Hunter has become one of my "go to" field knives. Big enough to dress out just about anything you'll find in N. America, compact enough for detail work, and easy to carry. And just a perfect design - from the gradual drop point to the extremely comfortable handle. :thumbup:

ep0z.jpg

Have not hunted in many years now but it was my Kershaw Deer Hunter I got in the 80s. Prior to that I had a Gerber two knife set on one sheath. I forget the name of the larger hunter but the smaller one was called the Pixie. Both had a grippy grey coating on the handles, I think it was called 'armor hide' or something like that.

Love the top 3, but prefer a wee bit thinner blade from edge to spine.
Thanks. I just got the Dozier a couple weeks ago, so i haven't been able to use it. I think my next one will be a Loveless drop point design or a custom sharpfinger...or a hunter pattern from Big Chris.

Dozier's model K-2 in D2. Bead blasted G10 scales and their "indexing dimple" included. No thumb notches.

Great blade to handle ratio and ergonomics overall. For me it has the right balance between not enough reach and too much blade.

My current go to knife for hunting. Not real pretty. Made for work, not photo shoots:

Z

"Working knives" like that Dozier have an aesthic appeal all their own and most certainly deserve to be shown off. While not dolled up with a polished finish and mammoth ivory or whatnot, just the shape, the crispness of the grind lines, and the flawless build quality are gorgeous!

Dozier's model K-2 in D2. Bead blasted G10 scales and their "indexing dimple" included. No thumb notches.

Great blade to handle ratio and ergonomics overall. For me it has the right balance between not enough reach and too much blade.

My current go to knife for hunting. Not real pretty. Made for work, not photo shoots:

Z

Still one of Bob's best designs, IMO.

"Purty" and "made for real work" don't have to be mutually exclusive, do they? :D

Your Bark River absolutely proves that a knife can be both!

I ordered this particular model with these specific options after buying and selling dozens of Dozier knives trying to find the best combination for me.

From a practical perspective it is a supermodel in my eyes:)

Z

Bark River Montana Guide
Chris Reeve Nyala

All look like fantastic knives but I'm in love with that Hall.

Browsed a few pages and then used the search function....Couldn't find any mention of a grohmann in this thread. I carry a Grohmann #1 as a hunting knife and also just as a general purpose camping/hiking knife. Love it. I'm a huge grohmann fan. Will one day own a complete set of their knives. Currently have a #1, #4, short blade skinner and a drop point hunter from them. Next purchase will probably be a #2. Also have a couple of r murphy copies of the #1 in caerbon steel that stay in the camping geaer. Wife really enjoys them.

I carry an opinel #8 (pocket) or a mora 2/0 (pack) as a spare in the woods.
I just received a Knives of Alaska Xtreme Yukon #2 which is similar to the Grohmann design.

Back