Favorite hunting knife?

I decided to try my hand at knife making. So, since the small game hunter was my first design I made and has been proven in the field for a couple years now I figured it would be a good place to start. Here's my first attempt at knife making in 0.10" Elmax, maroon linen micarta over white G10 liners, and mosaic pins...
IMG_3917_zpsznlvf7ow.jpg

I decided to try my hand at knife making.
I would say you did quite well. Looks like a perfect small game size and good enough for larger as well.
My favorite lately has been this buck 118 with d2 blade. The d2 zips right through hide and meat.
IMG_20141106_164959491_zps0377544b.jpg

I would say you did quite well. Looks like a perfect small game size and good enough for larger as well.

That was the intent of the design. I'm primarily a small game hunter but I still chase deer and hogs at times. This one is small enough to work well in the small game and just big enough to be efficient for medium sized game. The handle is designed for use in a modified saber grip with the thumb along the side and in a choked up grip with the index finger along the spine. The handle profile is left thin with minimal contouring to allow it to fit in a smaller grip as well as to provide increased tactile feedback about the knife’s position while in the chest cavity of medium sized game. The spine of the knife is squared with a slightly chamfered edge to allow for tactile feedback without risk of tearing your latex gloves when cleaning game animals. I've had this design that I came up with made by two other makers prior to me jumping into knife making myself and I've been using this design for a few years now with total satisfaction. The ideas for the proportions and design elements came from my favorite features of over 20 higher end production blades all put together into my ideal for how I use a skinner to clean game and remove meat.

What are the dimensions of that? Ive thought that i would like to try my hand at making my own of similar design. I know that specialized equipment isnt required, luckily bc i dont have them, but havent yet jumped into the project.

What are the dimensions of that? Ive thought that i would like to try my hand at making my own of similar design. I know that specialized equipment isnt required, luckily bc i dont have them, but havent yet jumped into the project.

Overall length: 7.5"
Blade length: 3"
Blade height: 1" or just under ~1.25 including the false guard
Blade thickness: 0.100" thick Elmax flat ground to 0.010" behind the secondary bevel which was set at 30* inclusive
Handle: 0.060" G10 liners with 3/16" micarta that was left darn near full thickness at the highest points along the pins

I gave the handle fronts a 45" bevel down to just above the G10 liners to reduce thickness for my thumb in the modified saber grip and then gave the handles a continuous, gentle curvature to about 1/2 of the thickness of the micarta in all places. The curvature keeps it from feeling blocky but still leaves it flat enough to be positive of where you are by feel and helps when twisting or torquing the blade along the inside of ribs on deer or when cutting out the hip joints on deer/hogs.

1990 USA Schrade 225OT Son of a Gun.

25 years and the 1095 well patinaed 5 1/4in clip blade is still going strong. The stainless bone saw is still razor sharp after Many elk and mulies breast plates.

Here is a picture of one, not mine but exactly the same.

Schrade225OTSonofaGun.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite for the past 10 years has been an Argentinian boker fixed blade, stag handle, 4.5ish clip point.

The knife that has seen the most action isan old school Cold Steel Master Hunter in Carbon V. Last year I got an old Buck Kangla folder that I really like. After using it on a couple deer this year, it will stal in my pack

WHat knife is that? BRKT what model please?

That is my Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter. I mentioned to Jason at DLT I'd like a stag CDPH and a few months later he presented this to me. I was thrilled to say the least. I used it this year to dress out my bowkill.

I'm waiting on this one from JK. I designed it so I hope it works as well as I expect it to. It's smaller brother sure does.
This one has a 7in blade and certainly should be a hunting workhorse.

12509289_1065651976819626_7634710294603438461_n.jpg

Crkt ken onion skinner, I haven't been able to find anything that can compete with it for the price

Back