Favorite kershaw

My answer has recently changed, the Launch 13 is my new favorite:

SPJdkAm.jpg

I really like the Turbulence which has been discontinued, Link and Bareknuckle

Before I knew a whole lot about knives, I had this Blackout in my pocket. Think I’ve had it for like 20 years. Just a hell of a hard working knife. Unfortunately about 10 years ago, the wife ran it through the washer and dryer accidentally, and it developed serious play, so now it resides in the the truck’s tool bag.

KSSqjNz.jpg

About 8 years ago, I needed a new EDC, to replace the knife that replaced the Blackout. Was in a box store and fondled a few knife, but the Leek really just felt right in my hand. Was really supposed to just get me by until I found something a bit stouter, but EDC’ed it for a good year straight instead. Even after picking up something a bit heavier duty, it remained one of my primary knives. Since then, my wife has apropriated it for her purse, and won’t relinquish it... think she’s had it 5 years... LOL

n4fFuej.jpg

One of these days I really need to pick up a Knockout... and maybe a Natrix... and possibly a Launch....

I did really like my Shallot; and, at times, I regret giving it away...if only it wasn't a/o. I have one Kershaw left - my favorite, the Vapor II.

... Love that underrated sandvik steel ...

Me too. The underrated part might be starting to change. Recent articles and discussions from Larrin here have helped to show the value of 14C28N. It seems to have become the default budget steel for Ruike. We've seen a few other Chinese manufacturers using it as well. We've also been seeing more 12C27 used in Chinese knives. In a recent cut-testing video, Outpost 76 demonstrated how much work you can get out of a cheap Sanrenmu in 12C27.

These Sandvik steels are vastly superior to 8Cr13Mov. I'd choose 14C28N over Chinese D2 any day of the week. I've really enjoyed it in my American-made Kershaws and Chinese-made Ruikes. I'd love to see Kershaw switch over to 14C28N for their Chinese-made knives.

My favorite is tied between two:
  1. Chill - R.J. Martin design. It's thin in the hand but doesn't feel delicate. Nice little flipper. Blade is just the right size and shape. $25. No one ever talks about this model, and I don't know why. I guess because it has an 8Cr blade and costs less than $50.
  2. Leek - The sharp point is useful just about ALL the time. Fits the hand great and is never intimidating.

My favorite is tied between two:
  1. Chill - R.J. Martin design. It's thin in the hand but doesn't feel delicate. Nice little flipper. Blade is just the right size and shape. $25. No one ever talks about this model, and I don't know why. I guess because it has an 8Cr blade and costs less than $50.
  2. Leek - The sharp point is useful just about ALL the time. Fits the hand great and is never intimidating.

The Chill is one of my favorite "cheap" Kershaws. My runner up Kershaws would include the Tremor, Chill, Concierge and Tumbler. I paid ~$12 for the Tremor and got a ton of use out of it.

The Launch 13 is IMO fantastic, however, so it's my new favorite. I don't know why I slept on out the side autos--I love button locks already, and now the Launch 13 and Piranha X are two of my favorite knives.

My Kershaws that seem to get most pocket time are the Chill and Al Mar AM-3.

I Have 2 Chills that I made wood scales for (ipe and osage orange). Having a wider handle really makes them nice to use.

the Al Mar? Well I've always liked Al Mar's designs. Several of my first quality folders were the UltraLights.

Tremor, Skyline XL, Piston, ZT 0700, Echelon, Leek smoke blue.
qfvqITH.jpg

Last edited:
The Kershaw Lahar was great. I don’t know why they discontinued it.

I was going to get one, but never did. I can't remember why.
I think they were a little expensive ($60) compared to the Blur($35).
After it was discontinued (2010?) it became hard to get because it had VG10 blade steel, which was in demand 10+ years ago.
It looks thick and heavy. No lanyard hole either.
1488246071_51_318_1-600x500.jpg

Last edited:
Me too. The underrated part might be starting to change. Recent articles and discussions from Larrin here have helped to show the value of 14C28N. It seems to have become the default budget steel for Ruike. We've seen a few other Chinese manufacturers using it as well. We've also been seeing more 12C27 used in Chinese knives. In a recent cut-testing video, Outpost 76 demonstrated how much work you can get out of a cheap Sanrenmu in 12C27.

These Sandvik steels are vastly superior to 8Cr13Mov. I'd choose 14C28N over Chinese D2 any day of the week. I've really enjoyed it in my American-made Kershaws and Chinese-made Ruikes. I'd love to see Kershaw switch over to 14C28N for their Chinese-made knives.

Wholeheartedly agree with you!! That 14C is amazing stuff especially with their solid heat treat!! Fingers crossed to it making a big comeback!

Damn..thats a hard one...

I think the Blur will always be a favorite, along with the Knockout. The Launch 9 is a really solid performer that doesn’t get enough screen time. And many of their import models are really, really good like the Natrix, Static and the Deadline. The Maximus is one many people overlook but has worked great for me whenever I’ve put it in pocket. Their recent foray into the modern traditional market didn’t disappoint me as I picked up a Gadsden and absolutely loved it.

Leek and Injection

by numbers, the Injection is my favorite - i have several, sometimes they see pocket time, but I have them stashed in cars and bags all over.

Just wondering what is everyone's favorite jershaw,should info back to a knockout or dividend or is there something else anyone could reccomend
I've not tried a lot of different Kershaw knives, but of those I've handled I'd say my favorite is the Ken Onion Leek. I've got one of the standard models, and one of the composite blade version. Nicely made, light weight, smooth opening, and decent price.

Back