1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Favorite kershaw

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Earl1, Oct 27, 2020.

1. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    My answer has recently changed, the Launch 13 is my new favorite:

[​IMG]

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I really like the Turbulence which has been discontinued, Link and Bareknuckle

3. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    And Alabama Damascus
    image.jpg

jfk1110, Tx308 and Ajack60 like this.
  4. jaseman

jaseman

Jul 28, 2016
    Before I knew a whole lot about knives, I had this Blackout in my pocket. Think I’ve had it for like 20 years. Just a hell of a hard working knife. Unfortunately about 10 years ago, the wife ran it through the washer and dryer accidentally, and it developed serious play, so now it resides in the the truck’s tool bag.

[​IMG]

About 8 years ago, I needed a new EDC, to replace the knife that replaced the Blackout. Was in a box store and fondled a few knife, but the Leek really just felt right in my hand. Was really supposed to just get me by until I found something a bit stouter, but EDC’ed it for a good year straight instead. Even after picking up something a bit heavier duty, it remained one of my primary knives. Since then, my wife has apropriated it for her purse, and won’t relinquish it... think she’s had it 5 years... LOL

[​IMG]

One of these days I really need to pick up a Knockout... and maybe a Natrix... and possibly a Launch....

5. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I did really like my Shallot; and, at times, I regret giving it away...if only it wasn't a/o. I have one Kershaw left - my favorite, the Vapor II.

6. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Me too. The underrated part might be starting to change. Recent articles and discussions from Larrin here have helped to show the value of 14C28N. It seems to have become the default budget steel for Ruike. We've seen a few other Chinese manufacturers using it as well. We've also been seeing more 12C27 used in Chinese knives. In a recent cut-testing video, Outpost 76 demonstrated how much work you can get out of a cheap Sanrenmu in 12C27.

These Sandvik steels are vastly superior to 8Cr13Mov. I'd choose 14C28N over Chinese D2 any day of the week. I've really enjoyed it in my American-made Kershaws and Chinese-made Ruikes. I'd love to see Kershaw switch over to 14C28N for their Chinese-made knives.

ktataragasi and jfk1110 like this.
  7. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    My favorite is tied between two:
    1. Chill - R.J. Martin design. It's thin in the hand but doesn't feel delicate. Nice little flipper. Blade is just the right size and shape. $25. No one ever talks about this model, and I don't know why. I guess because it has an 8Cr blade and costs less than $50.
    2. Leek - The sharp point is useful just about ALL the time. Fits the hand great and is never intimidating.

8. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    The Chill is one of my favorite "cheap" Kershaws. My runner up Kershaws would include the Tremor, Chill, Concierge and Tumbler. I paid ~$12 for the Tremor and got a ton of use out of it.

The Launch 13 is IMO fantastic, however, so it's my new favorite. I don't know why I slept on out the side autos--I love button locks already, and now the Launch 13 and Piranha X are two of my favorite knives.

grownstar likes this.
  9. Mingecutter

Mingecutter Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2011
    My all time favorite is the Kershaw RAM 1910 in sandvik steel

20201027_223927_copy_1814x2419.jpg

My runner up is the Blur :D

10. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    My Kershaws that seem to get most pocket time are the Chill and Al Mar AM-3.

I Have 2 Chills that I made wood scales for (ipe and osage orange). Having a wider handle really makes them nice to use.

the Al Mar? Well I've always liked Al Mar's designs. Several of my first quality folders were the UltraLights.

11. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    In order of favor:

Blur
    Knockout
    Link
    Dividend
    Leek

Budget:
    Clash

jfk1110 likes this.
  12. tatsu

tatsu

Oct 2, 1999
    [​IMG]

13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    66E6597A-AB7A-49E9-9B04-7AA2EFF92C12.jpeg

jfk1110 likes this.
  14. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Tremor, Skyline XL, Piston, ZT 0700, Echelon, Leek smoke blue.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    jfk1110 likes this.
  15. jeepin

jeepin

Jul 20, 2003
    The Kershaw Lahar was great. I don’t know why they discontinued it.

jfk1110 likes this.
  16. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I was going to get one, but never did. I can't remember why.
    I think they were a little expensive ($60) compared to the Blur($35).
    After it was discontinued (2010?) it became hard to get because it had VG10 blade steel, which was in demand 10+ years ago.
    It looks thick and heavy. No lanyard hole either.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  17. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Wholeheartedly agree with you!! That 14C is amazing stuff especially with their solid heat treat!! Fingers crossed to it making a big comeback!

18. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Damn..thats a hard one...

I think the Blur will always be a favorite, along with the Knockout. The Launch 9 is a really solid performer that doesn’t get enough screen time. And many of their import models are really, really good like the Natrix, Static and the Deadline. The Maximus is one many people overlook but has worked great for me whenever I’ve put it in pocket. Their recent foray into the modern traditional market didn’t disappoint me as I picked up a Gadsden and absolutely loved it.

Centuriator likes this.
  19. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Leek and Injection

by numbers, the Injection is my favorite - i have several, sometimes they see pocket time, but I have them stashed in cars and bags all over.

20. Michael D'Auben

Michael D'Auben

Oct 16, 2020
    I've not tried a lot of different Kershaw knives, but of those I've handled I'd say my favorite is the Ken Onion Leek. I've got one of the standard models, and one of the composite blade version. Nicely made, light weight, smooth opening, and decent price.