Favorite kershaw

I think my favourite Kershaw was the US-made Zing. I gave mine to a friend with the intention of eventually picking up another but, sadly, it was disco'd before I got around to it. Then Kershaw became KAI's mostly overseas-made line and I lost interest in the brand. Still have a Skyline though.

The Blur, Skyline, and Cryo are big favorites of mine, but my all time favorite is the Junkyard Dog.

The KnifeCenter exclusive Bareknuckle in 20CV is my favorite. The Lauch series is great, too, but nothing beats a manual action.

I own over 90 Kershaws, over 50 of them "vintage" knives, including 6 variations and 1 user version of the Shallot (1840) which is by far my favorite Kershaw and among my favorite knives generally.

iu

Last edited:
Oddball here, but, since I don't get into knife fights (lol), I still love the comfortable, dependable Chive.

Of the new stuff the Sinkevich Tumbler is amazing for the price. It's clear to me they're using a new OEM for the KVT/D2 $60 range their experimenting with. Some telltale signs give it away (signature Chinese Kershaw bevel look isn't there, copious amounts of threadlocker etc.).

I think it goes neck and neck with CIVIVI in quality but has a US based warranty and Sinkevich ergos (which blow away the no-name CAD designed stuff like the Elementum).

I've been recommending it for people looking for a $60 flipper since I got it. Probably best in class in that price range right now. A wonderfully designed knife that's made just well enough.

Of the new stuff the Sinkevich Tumbler is amazing for the price. It's clear to me they're using a new OEM for the KVT/D2 $60 range their experimenting with. Some telltale signs give it away (signature Chinese Kershaw bevel look isn't there, copious amounts of threadlocker etc.).

I think it goes neck and neck with CIVIVI in quality but has a US based warranty and Sinkevich ergos (which blow away the no-name CAD designed stuff like the Elementum).

I've been recommending it for people looking for a $60 flipper since I got it. Probably best in class in that price range right now. A wonderfully designed knife that's made just well enough.

I love the design of the Tumbler but like 8Cr13Mov, Chinese D2 has become a deal breaker for me. Had they used 14C28N, I'd have been all over it. Ironically, the 14C28N that was originally designed for Kershaw and was once exclusively used by Kershaw is now being used by Sanrenmu (including Ruike and Real Steel) at prices competitive with Kershaw's 8Cr13Mov.

The premium Elementum in S35VN/Micarta is a really nice knife. I rather like some of the Civivi designs. The Baklash is still one of my favorites. While their Isham designs aren't my style, I'm hoping to see more collaborations from them in the future. Coincidentally, Civivi has recently started using 14C28N too. I just ordered their new Riffle.

If Kershaw is using a new Chinese company to do their OEM, I'd love to get one apart for inspection. Is it permanent thread-locker or just too much? Easy disassembly is important to me. Having taken apart a bunch of Civivi knives now, their internals are nicer and leave the factory cleaner than a lot of other budget knives.

I love the design of the Tumbler but like 8Cr13Mov, Chinese D2 has become a deal breaker for me. Had they used 14C28N, I'd have been all over it. Ironically, the 14C28N that was originally designed for Kershaw and was once exclusively used by Kershaw is now being used by Sanrenmu (including Ruike and Real Steel) at prices competitive with Kershaw's 8Cr13Mov.

The premium Elementum in S35VN/Micarta is a really nice knife. I rather like some of the Civivi designs. The Baklash is still one of my favorites. While their Isham designs aren't my style, I'm hoping to see more collaborations from them in the future. Coincidentally, Civivi has recently started using 14C28N too. I just ordered their new Riffle.

If Kershaw is using a new Chinese company to do their OEM, I'd love to get one apart for inspection. Is it permanent thread-locker or just too much? Easy disassembly is important to me. Having taken apart a bunch of Civivi knives now, their internals are nicer and leave the factory cleaner than a lot of other budget knives.

I haven't been able to break any of the screws loose, but I haven't tried any heat. With a regular torx driver every single screw on it is locked in place.

China D2 isn't ideal, but for $60 I'll accept it. I'd rather have 14C28N as well.

Might still be worth checking out for ya, the ergos are Sinkevich gold and the amount of edge it packs into that handle must be close to the all time record.

My Kershaws that seem to get most pocket time are the Chill and Al Mar AM-3.

I Have 2 Chills that I made wood scales for (ipe and osage orange). Having a wider handle really makes them nice to use.

the Al Mar? Well I've always liked Al Mar's designs. Several of my first quality folders were the UltraLights.

wow, I love both woods - ipe & osage, please post pics?? (the only type I like more is ironwood)

fwiw, my 14c28n leek is my fav - very light, very sharp, & low cost... what's not to love?

My favorite is a toss up between the Natrix and the Blur. Of course, I haven't bought every model they've made.

Only Kershaw I still own is a Leek and it was my fav even when I had a few other Kershaws

I prefer a 3.5 inch blade. Consequently, I own multiple Shallots (1840)(discontinued) and at least 10 3655 units. As someone criticized the clip, I removed the clips on most of the 3655 units that show up in rotation. Slowly, I am gifting away other units.

I like the Dividend and the Link. Great value for the price and even better with the upgrade steel they offered. Worth taking a look.

JonesE

I love the Blur but my most used knife far and away is the Shuffle.

Easy to carry, low price, easy to sharpen, and functions for my purposes. I use it all the time.

Back