Favorite mini compass or a better solution

:( read this K&M are not useing Suunto anymore http://www.kmmatchcase.com/compass-update-matchcase-2010.html
they went with a Japanese compass made by the Sun Company im not sure what the quality is like on them maby someone on here has one and can post

That's actually the company that makes mine. They do all the keychain advertisements for rei, coleman, etc. Mine has been pretty reliable. I check it next to my Ranger every now and again and it's still pointing north. If you buy one make sure to check it next to a higher quality compass in the store before you buy.

I have had 2-3 TruNords in the past, it was a good suggestion but I don't recommend them for wrist carry. They are liquid-filled but the casing isn't strong enough for crossing rough terrain or doing activities like sailing or kayaking. I kept cracking the faces. They're incredibly accurate though, I can set it side by side with my Cammenga and they always read the same. The needle doesn't seem to be very influenced by nearby ferrous material, which is always an issue with button compasses.

just be careful if you attach a small compass to key chain or whatever metal can throw it off.If you are doing nav it can make a huge difference

I have had 2-3 TruNords in the past, it was a good suggestion but I don't recommend them for wrist carry. They are liquid-filled but the casing isn't strong enough for crossing rough terrain or doing activities like sailing or kayaking. I kept cracking the faces. They're incredibly accurate though, I can set it side by side with my Cammenga and they always read the same. The needle doesn't seem to be very influenced by nearby ferrous material, which is always an issue with button compasses.

Interesting PayetteRucker, they must have changed their compasses since you bought yours. Just checking their site and TruNord specifies on the Product Description that the compasses are not liquid-filled - "No fluid in Compass".

I wonder if TruNord was having problems with the liquid? I know i will never buy another liquid-filled compass.

I just ordered a tru-nord after reading Bryan's suggestion. The Marbles are now made in China, unless you can find an old one.

I used to have 2 of these, long gone now, great little trinket, from Lee Valley. It's a rare earth magnet, so it's really powerful. It lines up N/S like a shot, even in your palm, hard to imagine unless you actually witness it. I think I just convinced myself to order a couple more. :) Not great for orienteering but perfect for a small survival kit.
99k3870s1.jpg

This tiny (1/4" long) barrel-shaped rare-earth magnet is a near-indestructible compass.
Set on its side on a smooth flat surface (or on a leaf in water), it will quickly swivel to a N-S orientation, indicated by a red dot on the north end. It comes in a screw-top, waterproof aluminum cylinder with an integral loop that makes it easy to attach to a belt, button hole, strap, etc.

Last edited:
I used to have 2 of these, long gone now, great little trinket, from Lee Valley. It's a rare earth magnet, so it's really powerful. It lines up N/S like a shot, even in your palm, hard to imagine unless you actually witness it. I think I just convinced myself to order a couple more. :) Not great for orienteering but perfect for a small survival kit.
99k3870s1.jpg

This tiny (1/4" long) barrel-shaped rare-earth magnet is a near-indestructible compass.
Set on its side on a smooth flat surface (or on a leaf in water), it will quickly swivel to a N-S orientation, indicated by a red dot on the north end. It comes in a screw-top, waterproof aluminum cylinder with an integral loop that makes it easy to attach to a belt, button hole, strap, etc.

I may have to pick one of these up too. Throw in some tinder and you have a nice little addition to the keychain.:D

based on a response to this thread, I ordered one of the little Trunord compasses. I am wondering if they are still in business, as I have not received the compass I ordered, nor do they respond to email or phone messages................

based on a response to this thread, I ordered one of the little Trunord compasses. I am wondering if they are still in business, as I have not received the compass I ordered, nor do they respond to email or phone messages................

How long has it been since you ordered it?

If I remember right, they "tune" the compass to whatever area they are shipping it to. Takes like 10 days to process.

I was going to give you the phone number but I see you have already tried that. Did the payment clear?

I've got a little silva button compass on my g-shock, nice and tough, but i may be up for something a little more hmm reliable? To get a reading im comfortable with ill always take it off and set it on something flat etc etc but theres sometimes im not sure to trust it.. you guys in the northern hemisphere get all the cool compass's! By the way Wapiti this one has a full wrap around buckle that i kinda wedged/forced on my watch, but its not going anywhere.

20120229_232446.jpg

20120229_232507.jpg

Trunord called me finally, and will ship this week. All seems to be good. :D

Good deal.

I have a small Silva on a keychain and have been surprised to find it durable and reliable.

No fluid in this one that I can tell. I have to take it off the ring to get an accurate reading due to the metal stuff.

Your declination in Central Florida should be five deg. negative. Is Trunord adjusting your compass prior to sending it?

SDC12096.jpg

I was playing around with my wenger swiss champ earlier and noticed that the button compass pops out. It's non liquid, fast, and accurate. I wish I could find more to purchase. Maybe some dealers carry them.

99k3870s1.jpg

These are great little compasses - I use them in my PSK.

Doc

Your declination in Central Florida should be five deg. negative. Is Trunord adjusting your compass prior to sending it?

I expect they're adjusting for latitude, not declination. If you're north of the equator the north end of the needle has to be weighted to make it work in a horizontal position.

Brunton also makes a couple different micro sized compasses. I dont think I should post links to a sales site but they are easily found at online markets. I have these and would recommend them to anybody. tie a loop of paracord through it and hang it around my neck. good to go.

The website says "Longitude and Latitude," yes. So if you go anywhere with it you can't just allow for declination; you'll have to calculate the difference in declination between where you are and where you live (or used to live) and allow for that. Doesn't seem like a great idea to me....

Back