Favorite, next one, dream Spydie

Sigsog226

Gold Member
Just thought id start a thread for some friendly Spyderco talk. I like always like hearing everyone's opinions and ideas on knives, makes for good discussion.

Like the title says, whats your favorite Spyderco you own or have owned, whats your next buy you have lined up, and what do wish they would make next?

Current-Mine are the s110v pm2, cant believe they so happened to pick my favorite color and a steel i thought would only exists in sprint runs. And to make it a production knife at that.

Next-The Opus is what i want next, mostly just cause i think its so damn good looking.

Wish list-And a Dragonfly 2 in damascus with titanium handles. Kind of surprised this one doesn't exist yet. Seems like the dragonfly kind of hangs out with endura, delica, and stretch, which all have damascus blade variants.

Great thread idea! Let's see...

Current favorite would have to be my Slysz Bowie. I try to keep the collection down to only models that I reeeeally like, so while I genuinely love everything I own this one always manages to take the cake. It's just undeniable when you have it in your hand.

Next up: Blurple Manix 2. I finally just added an all black Manix 2 and I can't believe how much I love this knife. I'm also a big fan of blurple!

Dream spydie: I think I'd have to say a Native 5 with either a ball bearing lock or a compression lock. I absolutely love everything about the Native except the back lock, which is a deal breaker for me.

And, of course, we need a picture!

4e4a357201f15631166dc0077da02978.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite right now? Blade HQ PM2 M4/natural G-10.

Waiting to buy? One Eyed Jack.

Wish list? Hap40 Lum Tanto with grey G-10 scales.

Favorite right now is my dodo. Sold a blue g10 and picked up a carbon fiber, but kinda miss the grippiness of g10. Honorable mention to the Native in 440v serrated. Powerhouse knife.

Waiting for an original terzuola I found on the Bay. Modern next is likely to be a hap40 meerkat and/or Lil temp 3. Sal was carrying a prototype Lil temp in vg10 at the outlet sale back in 2015. I'd like to steal that right out of his pocket. Politely.

Dream spyderco I can barely imagine. A g10 dragonfly in super blue. A remake of the salsa in cpm154. Full Serrated native lc200n but with the older grip. No... A scorpius with any handle but stainless in serrated anything but vg10. Love the design but needs a tougher steel and a thicker scale. Man I miss living in Colorado.

favourite right now: Spyderco Military Cruwear
waiting to buy : Fish hunter
dream : flashbatch nilakka

Favorite: GB1
Waiting to buy: Spring PM2 52100 CF
Dream: A Tenacious with a fancy steel

Current- S110V Military

Next- KW Exclusive S90V Framelock Military

Dream Knife- RWL-34 and Foliage Green G-10 Military!!

Dream spydie: I think I'd have to say a Native 5 with either a ball bearing lock or a compression lock. I absolutely love everything about the Native except the back lock, which is a deal breaker for me.

Hi VE, I know everyone's tastes are different but I'm curious what it is you dislike about the back lock? It is probably my favorite lock of any I use. I have more faith in its function than a liner/frame and for me, one hand closing is easier/safer than any other lock type. I also love the sound of a good back lock snapping into place. They are nice for lefties or ambidextrous guys too. I'm always curious why some people don't like them. Is it that they aren't good for flicking open?

RE: the original question-

1. Favorite: Cruwear Millie with "tip-up" conversion.

2. The Hanan: That's just a beautiful design.

3. A 3.5-4" folder designed for the Salt line. Something with an ideal blade shape for fishing and hunting and made fully rust proof with lc200n.

Hi VE, I know everyone's tastes are different but I'm curious what it is you dislike about the back lock? It is probably my favorite lock of any I use. I have more faith in its function than a liner/frame and for me, one hand closing is easier/safer than any other lock type. I also love the sound of a good back lock snapping into place. They are nice for lefties or ambidextrous guys too. I'm always curious why some people don't like them. Is it that they aren't good for flicking open?

RE: the original question-

1. Favorite: Cruwear Millie with "tip-up" conversion.

2. The Hanan: That's just a beautiful design.

3. A 3.5-4" folder designed for the Salt line. Something with an ideal blade shape for fishing and hunting and made fully rust proof with lc200n.

Hey Surfer! Don't mean to hijack the thread but I would like to answer your question.

One handed opening and closing is important for me, partly because of preference and partly because of my job. In order to close my Native 5 g10 with one hand I would press the lock, flip the blade down, then reposition my hand and close it the rest of the way. In order to do this my pivot had to be suuuuuper dialed in. Too loose and I had bladeplay, too tight and the blade wouldn't move when I depressed the lock. I prefer to have my pivots on the tighter side, but that wasn't really an option with my native.

It's not that I'm a flicker and I also loved the sound of the lock engaging. Also, my Native had ZERO up and down play, which I loved. I just didn't love the way that the lock necessitated so much time adjusting the pivot for good one handed action. I'd love to own one again anyway, though!

...One handed opening and closing is important for me, partly because of preference and partly because of my job. In order to close my Native 5 g10 with one hand I would press the lock, flip the blade down, then reposition my hand and close it the rest of the way. In order to do this my pivot had to be suuuuuper dialed in. Too loose and I had bladeplay, too tight and the blade wouldn't move when I depressed the lock. I prefer to have my pivots on the tighter side, but that wasn't really an option with my native.

It's not that I'm a flicker and I also loved the sound of the lock engaging. Also, my Native had ZERO up and down play, which I loved. I just didn't love the way that the lock necessitated so much time adjusting the pivot for good one handed action. I'd love to own one again anyway, though!

My default closing method, for safety & positive disengagement, is using the palm of my weak hand against the spine while gripping the knife & interfacing with closing device in my strong hand...pretty standard for everyone, I recognize.

I like mid locks and Walkers and RIL's...and if I have a need or mind to close my mid locks one-handed <only> I'll dis- engage the back lock with my strong hand thumb and place the spine against my thigh...with the Walkers and RIL's, I'll disengage the lock with my index finger with the spine against my thigh.

I'm used to this method probably due to EDC'ing slipjoints exclusively prior to the 1990's, plus my Dad taught me to close it that way whenever I couldn't use the palm of my off-hand in a more safe, secure, and positive manner.

Favorite: PM2
Next: Advocate or Euroedge
Dream: Ti handled Superleaf in M4

One handed opening and closing is important for me, partly because of preference and partly because of my job. In order to close my Native 5 g10 with one hand I would press the lock, flip the blade down, then reposition my hand and close it the rest of the way. In order to do this my pivot had to be suuuuuper dialed in. Too loose and I had bladeplay, too tight and the blade wouldn't move when I depressed the lock. I prefer to have my pivots on the tighter side, but that wasn't really an option with my native.

At the risk of continuing to derail this thread...the blade on most of my Natives will fall when I depress the lock bar. I haven't adjusted the pivot on any of them but they did require a little break in time. On back locks that don't have free falling blades I just use my index finger in the Spydie hole to guide the blade down. Then I flip it over and use my thumb in the hole or on the spine to close it the rest of the way. It is a two step process but not much slower than closing a liner or frame lock.

20170201_120559_zpsux7wu0qi.jpg

Back to the regularly scheduled program....

1. Favorite depends on what day it is. Currently it's the Mantra
2. Next is the Caly 3 HAP40 Sprint
3. No real dream knife for me

i wish spyderco would make there LW models in carbon fiber instead of FRN. id pay more and buy most of them most likely. no metal liners.

Favorite. Para1 Spyderedge.
Incoming. Native 5 Never Summer. This will be very interesting.
I'd love to see a Sprintrun of the Yojimbo 1.
rolf

Plenty of favorites but my next will be the K390 Police.
And if I had a dream knife it would be one of the projected upsized Natives with a ffg 3.5" M390 or maybe 3V blade and a Ti handle.

Current fave = Yo2 and Ti Military
Up next possibilities = Myrtle , S90V/CF/Ti Military (KW Excl)
Dream = Sprint Yo2 w/ 204P & Titanium , Nirvana w/ satin blade and stonewashed Titanium w/ steel insert.

Such a great thread.

My dream Spyderco would be the Slysz Bowie or the Brend/Pirela Mamba. I think they both are very good looking knives.

My current favorite is my EDC knife. I carry an Endura 4 FFG w/ grey FRN (I'm not very exciting). I've been a huge Endura/Delica fan since my first one I got back in 1992.

My next knife is the Knife Center exclusive Manix 2 lightweight in brown FRCP with a CTS-XHP blade. I just ordered it this morning.

Back