Favorite Outdoor Gear

Post photos or tell us about your favorite outdoor gear. What are the items that you always make sure you take with you on every outing? What items have special meaning or have proven themselves invaluable? Bonus points for cheap or free!

My all-time favorite item is a ground sheet made from an old tonneau cover. Back in the 80's a climbing partner of mine sacrificed his cover to make three ground sheets to keep us from sleeping in the mud of the New River Gorge. More than thirty years later, it's still keeping my bag off the ground and my butt out of the snow around a fire.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Carhartt Fencing Glove. Cheap and very durable, great for processing and handling firewood (in or out of the fire).

37955068ded5e95ecb48954737f30bf6.jpg

Those are a couple of my special items. What are yours?

Jeff

I need to find a picture of the one thing I always have on our Michigan outings. I'll post it later.

Not stupid at all, that's what I'm after. Anyone else?

Jeff

97b65f337d1e05165d316a59bbe37c2d.jpg

50ce43cfc1d8a63c42cfdb09b23ea73b.jpg

4e90dbef8813408e9480da459f744ae7.jpg

c58a7d3f2244f595c6db88942de56b71.jpg

The only one I currently have pictures of would be my Stanley thermos (technically just the cup, but I need the whole thing!) Will try and add some other items later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, I'm a truck camper and being a truck camper means I can bring the gear that makes me comfortable and the trips more enjoyable, so I'd have to say my truck is my favorite piece of outdoor gear. :) (hell, it even lives outdoors the lucky dog! :rolleyes:)

DSCN0080-2.jpg

Then there is a comfortable chair.
It has to be a recliner so I can kick back and star gaze at night without straining my neck.
I love to kick back and watch for shooting stars and satellites while enjoying the heat and crackling of the fire. (the chair is great for napping in too btw ;) ).
It's all about comfort for my old bones.
I also have various small folding tables and small stools I found at thrift shops.(I have a table and stool for the tent also :rolleyes: )

I also have a chuck box I made out of scrap 1/4" plywood and brass from my old job making radiator cores.
The corner edges are reinforced with scrap brass strips I cut down on a shear and bent on one of the breaks.(hard to see as I painted the whole thing)
The box, cooler, water jugs and sleeping bag along with a small duffle for clothes are about the only things that don't stay in the truck permanently.(guns and knives also of course)

Then there is the tent.
It has to be big enough for a cot and to stand up in.
Also to have a chair in in case of rain so I can sit it out comfortably and read. (the old bones don't like crawling into a tent, stooping, or sitting/sleeping on the ground! ;) )

005-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

abc074e5.jpg

Camping gear load in the back of the truck.(notice the three sleeping pads? Yeah!)
DSCN0233.jpg

Besides the truck as my favorite piece of gear there is this old Kelly Works Demon axe head I found stuck in a tree with a broken handle when I first started exploring this area in 92 or 3.
Shown before the last rehang.(I believe it was the third handle I put on it, or is that.. it on? :rolleyes:)

DSCN0451.jpg

The three pics below the truck pic are at my favorite camp site my brother and I found back in the late 90s.
The benches and stove table along with a big stack of cut rounds were there when we found the place one spring outing while hunting for Morels.
I suspect they were cut and made by deer or elk hunters the previous fall.
It sure was nice of 'em to leave all that wood for us, saved a lot of work on our part!:thumbup:

I cut and painted the green table tops you see on the two rounds in the second pic as it's good to have plenty of space to put stuff up off the ground.(Pistols, binos, knives, books and whatnot)

Oh and honorable mention goes to my camp crapper.
I throw a couple of trash bags in the bucket and I'm ready to 'go'.;)
DSCN0235.jpg

The folding seat I made at the aforementioned job after one elk hunt/camping trip where it was raining and sleeting one morning and I had to 'go' before heading out.
I ended up squatting over a bucket in the tent.:eek: Damn!
Well, like I mentioned earlier...these old bones don't play that game so I made the folding seat out of some 1/4" thick aluminum angle stock we had no use for and some old seatbelt I scrounged somewheres for the straps to keep it from collapsing under weight and added the cat litter bucket for the ultimate outdoor crapper for usins' that don't cotton ta squattin'.:D

I love repurposing stuff and making my own gear when I can.
At the mentioned job above we went through a lot of brass sheet and I made a carrying case for a single burner coleman stove out of brass scraps and the case to store coffee filters you can see right below the black filter holder hanging in the third pic, along with the two round ash trays seen on the stump in front of the travel alarm clock in the same pic.

Long winded, but there you have it. :)

Last edited:
Good stuff Mykel. Your post makes me miss camping in my old Ranger. It's nice to back up to the fire pit and be cozy in your bag while watching the fire.

Can you post more photos of your chuck box? That's on my project list.

Jeff

I love truck camping, looks like you have it figured out. We still are not back to where we were before losing so much camp gear to the flood but we did get out last year. We keep two large containers loaded with the basics. When we decide it's camping time we grab the containers, tent, water, chairs, and perishables(bacon, eggs, beer) and we're ready to go. Thanks for the great pics.

Good stuff Mykel. Your post makes me miss camping in my old Ranger. It's nice to back up to the fire pit and be cozy in your bag while watching the fire.

Can you post more photos of your chuck box? That's on my project list.

Jeff
What do you need? Inside shot, sides? Hopefully not a bottom shot.(because then I'd have to empty the dang thing :rolleyes:)
I have to warn you, it isn't anything fancy, just a box I painted with a can of spray on primer and is crammed with as much stuff as I can get into it and still get the top closed.(mostly cooking gear, some of which you see in the 'kitchen' pic #2.)

That's some nice gear you made!
Thanks John, not as nice as the gear you make.;)

I love truck camping, looks like you have it figured out. We still are not back to where we were before losing so much camp gear to the flood but we did get out last year. We keep two large containers loaded with the basics. When we decide it's camping time we grab the containers, tent, water, chairs, and perishables(bacon, eggs, beer) and we're ready to go. Thanks for the great pics.
You're welcome. It sounds like you've got it figured out also. :thumbup:
All this talk of favorite gear and camping has me jonesin' for some woods time.

Come on spring!

Hey Myke, the photos would be for inspiration purposes. I already have a plan.

Jeff

Here ya go Jeff.
It's fugly, but has been doing the job for 15+ years.:)

DSCN0863.jpg

DSCN0868.jpg

I have a lot lol but 2 of my favorites are my zebra light headlamp and my snow wolf cooking sets modded with bailing wire. I usually end up with these items out in the woods or even car camping

Back