Favorite SAK Alox

Farmer :D

1000997p.jpg

Sent from Ash forum mobile

If I have to pick one, the Cadet in plain old silver alox. The Cadet is a very practical, everything I need for urban days, carry. And it's light.

If I could pick others, the Pioneer Pruner and the Harvester. I like the Farmer too, but I have quite a liking for the Vic pruning blade on the Harvester and Pruner.

And I like the silver alox, which is lucky for me since it's invariably the cheapest to obtain.

Pioneer Harvester.

It is similar to the farmer but the pruning blade replaces the can opener and it does not have the annoying split-ring attachment that digs into the palm. I like it and the Farmer because of the saw and awl/reamer.

DSC_8407.jpg

DSC_8410.jpg

Last edited:
Cadet by a mile. I hope that someday they'll make an Alox Sportsman. Same thing as the Cadet but in plastic with a corkscrew and awl on the back. The corkscrew comes in handy. If the Cadet had one I'd never carry a backup Leatherman again.

Cadet by a mile. I hope that someday they'll make an Alox Sportsman. Same thing as the Cadet but in plastic with a corkscrew and awl on the back. The corkscrew comes in handy. If the Cadet had one I'd never carry a backup Leatherman again.
I carry a Sportsman II. It's the Sportsman with nylon scales, which I like better than the usual shiny plastic.

I have a Farmer that is currently being transformed into a "Deluxe Farmer" by adding pliers. Who could ask for anything more?

Jeff

For me it would be the Wenger SI.

Of all the sak's that have come and gone in my life, the old Wenger has been a constant sinc I got it many years ago. I don't have any cellidor models left aside from my classics, and the Wenger does back up duty now and then on trips where my edc Case Peanut may be a little too small. I prefer the SI over the soldier because I want a place for a lanyard attachment on a ask, and the soldier didn't have one. The pioneer has the lanyard ring in an awkward place where it digs in my palm in use with some hand positions. Why Vic dropped the hollow rivet is beyond me. Besides, I love the bail on the SI, it reminds me of the scout knives of my youth.

If I'm going to be carrying a sak other than my classic, it's going to be the Wenger SI. Plus, it seems to me that the SI holds a bit better edge than the pioneer.

Carl.

I have a Farmer that is currently being transformed into a "Deluxe Farmer" by adding pliers. Who could ask for anything more?

Jeff

How about a Farmer with added scissors?! That's the one I've got coming.

Used well over 3 years and still going strong :) :thumbup:

3584b922.jpg

fe9b3ea2.jpg

I EDC this blue one, have several silvers floating around, and have a red as backup in case I lose this blue one. I wouldn't mind trying out a pioneer harvester one of these days. I have a Pioneer Rancher and like the pruning blade well enough for pruning or cord cutting tasks.

Would love to have a Bushcrafter, and a modded farmer with a small blade added.

I'm the luckiest cause I have a completely built to my wants custom sak by Steve. :D He is also making me another AND adding scissors to one of my blue farmer. :thumbup:

ash135.jpg

Sent from Ash forum mobile

That's a nice one Ash. I was thinking that I might like a Cadet with scissors in place of the nail file. I have a green one just laying around.

Jeff

My favorite is my 30 + y.o. Pioneer. I love the look of worn alox and like the simple cross on my old one.

IMG_4236-1.jpg

Back