Favorite SAK Alox

That's a nice one Ash. I was thinking that I might like a Cadet with scissors in place of the nail file. I have a green one just laying around.

Jeff

Finding 84mm scissors is quite a difficult task. I've been keeping an eye out for a pair myself. :D Also I sent you a PM.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Yes, the worn alox takes on great character, your Pioneer looks great :thumbup: It's good to know I can expect at least 27 more years out of my Farmer!

Yes, the worn alox takes on great character, your Pioneer looks great :thumbup: It's good to know I can expect at least 27 more years out of my Farmer!

Can't vouch for that, I haven't carried it for a number of years. It did get several years of use. Luckily, they are affordable knives.

Can't vouch for that, I haven't carried it for a number of years. It did get several years of use. Luckily, they are affordable knives.

Ah, well, it feels like it'll last for 30 years, haha. The spring is still just as strong as the day I got it.

They are indeed affordable, great value.

Outside of Baltimore where I grew up, we had the Best Catalog Showroom Stores. They were like the Service Merchandise chain of stores. The first place I ever saw a Swiss Army knife was in that catalog. They were like the Boy Scout knife only cooler because of the incredible selection of different tools on the different knives. I got a knockoff one Christmas, but it wasn't the same. The plastic scales broke off pretty quickly. Anyway, every year I would look through the new Best catalog weighing the merits of obtaining a model with scissors or the saw, corkscrew, etc. I didn't end up getting a Swiss Army knife until I was out of school and getting ready to move into an apartment. I had no money at all but needed a handyman tool box and kitchen gadget drawer all in one, so this is what I got. Aside from the knockoff, this is the only Swiss Army knife I've ever had.

I remember when I was a little kid my big sister and her friend got mad at me and threw my little sak over the hill. I was probably only 7 or so and still to this day it bothers me. Every summer since then until I moved from my home place I looked over the hill for that little red sak. I never did find it but as you can tell I never forgot it. I don't know if it was a real victoinox or not but I can see the little knife with its red scales plain as day in my mind. It was one of my favorite items then and thats why she threw it. I went looking that day and couldn't find it. Maybe someday someone will come across a rusty ole sak and wonder what the story behind it is.

I like the Pioneer best, with the Cadet a close second.

101_0048-1.JPG

Pioneer Harvester.

It is similar to the farmer but the pruning blade replaces the can opener and it does not have the annoying split-ring attachment that digs into the palm. I like it and the Farmer because of the saw and awl/reamer.

DSC_8407.jpg

DSC_8410.jpg

I'm with Tim; I have the silver Harvester and it's a keeper :thumbup:

I have a plain old silver Farmer that is far an away my favorite SAK; knocked the Super Tinker right out of my pocket. My wife and I plan on doing a lot of camping this summer, starting in March. The Farmer is going to see a lot of action this year.

Does the colored alox models wear fast or is that just from carrying them in the pocket with other objects? I was thinking of tracking down a red alox farmer but if the color removes quickly I might as well get the cheaper silver.

I think I prefer the Victorinox Soldier for my favorite alox. It was good enough for the Swiss Army and its good enough for me too!

Does the colored alox models wear fast or is that just from carrying them in the pocket with other objects? I was thinking of tracking down a red alox farmer but if the color removes quickly I might as well get the cheaper silver.

It's like any other anodized coloring: it wears after a while from loose pocket carry with keys, dropping it, letting it get scraped on stuff...just general use. In my opinion, it's pretty tough though. It definitely does not wear like that just from handling. And on these textured alox handles, the coloring only wears from the tops of the knubs and scale sides. Pretty difficult to wear the coloring in the valleys/troughs, for lack of a better description.

I started using an Uncle Bill's Urban Wallet recently, and the farmer fits nicely in one of the pockets. I imagine if I used a sheath like this earlier, the completely blue look would have lasted much longer.

My favorite is this Farmer. I filed off the keyring stud because it dug into my hand, and I don't use a lanyard.

The pic is when it was new - it has a little more character now, but not nearly as much as JohnnyR's or HikingMano's. :D

rf2.jpg

Idk why but red and the farmer go so well together imo. I think its because I think farmer = red barn. :)

Sent from Ash forum mobile

My favorite is this Farmer. I filed off the keyring stud because it dug into my hand, and I don't use a lanyard.

The pic is when it was new - it has a little more character now, but not nearly as much as JohnnyR's or HikingMano's. :D

It'll get there :) :thumbup: Love saks, such useful tools...and the alox ones are just tough and classy.

Back