Favorite steel ?

I'm going to be boring and say: any of them.

I like ZDP-189 and Maxamet for the edge holding. I like XHP, S30V etc for easier sharpening.

I'm sure I would be happy with the steels I haven't had any experience with as well... :)

Well, if your favorite steel is offered in different models, why not have a variety of blade sizes so the job will match the knife ;).

CZlYjKx.jpg

How do people like K390? I tried only two knives with this steel: Police 4 and Delica 4. I feel it takes significantly more time to get them to the hair-poping sharpness than most other steels like S30V and M390. They lose that kind of sharpness at about the same pace as these other steels, although they keep a working edge seemingly forever.

How do people like K390? I tried only two knives with this steel: Police 4 and Delica 4. I feel it takes significantly more time to get them to the hair-poping sharpness than most other steels like S30V and M390. They lose that kind of sharpness at about the same pace as these other steels, although they keep a working edge seemingly forever.
The big thing going for it is its crazy toughness. Toughness usually comes at the cost of edge retention, but with K390 you don't compromise with that. It has slightly better edge retention than M4 but significantly more edge stability. I use it to put some force into cutting aluminum cable or dig into brass with little to no edge flattening.

I like Spyderco's S30V a lot. My choice for fave steel by the company...

S90V in my Manix 2 CF. This is a great combo!

I have been using a Stretch in ZDP-189 lately. I like it, but need to touch up the edge now.

S30v has been my favorite, Rex 45 and other tool steels don't like my caustic work environment. Spyderco Cru wear has been to elusive for me... Loved my toku v but the scratches on the laminate steel were discouraging.

3v is my favorite steel so far.

I prefer S30V, S35V. Good steel/good price point.

Thought S35V would be more popular among the posters in this thread?
I haven't seen too many knives that use this steel now that I think about it.

These day's, more and more, it's whatever I'm using!

Right now, that's a lot of XC90 (Opinel carbon steel) and O1.

For stainless, which I use a lot less, it's mostly 420J2 (a nice Soldier/Tourist pattern), 154CM (fancy Case/Bose collabs), but have been tending to use S35V instead (when I feel like a Sebenza's more modern design) and occasionally S90V (when it's time for cardboard boxes). More often I'm also use 440C.

I need to remember to use LC200N more often when I don't feel like playing the patina game. I don't know why I haven't given myself a change to experience its character...

And, for the exciting part, I'm just beginning to titrate some A2 into the mix :thumbsup:

EDIT: sheesh, it's like I have knives for every possible cutting task and then a backup... I know my little gathering isn't even nothing compared to a lot of collectors, but it's like KNIVES!

EVERYWHERE!

FOR ANY CONCEIVABLE REASON!

KNIVES!!!!

:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
S90V on Spyderco's Proficient. Someday I want to try their S110V, but the Proficient I such a useful knife for what I need it for (it is the super special cardboard box venting stress/destruction I keep for this especial purpose)

but my favorite classes are simple, low-medium allow "carbon" steels like O1, 26C3, A2, 52100, etc...

personally I like the patina of O1 and 26C3 to stuff like 10xx steels

super steels are super cool, but I just love how easy it is to keep a simple low alloy steel scalpel sharp, for use in the kitchen, or with an real obtuse, but still razor sharp, edge, for use harder use working with wood

I have yet any need to chop up a cinderblock or brick or whatever

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, I don't see XHP on there?

Correct. I made the chart quite a while back and it only included steels that KnifeSteelNerds had data for both toughness and edge retention @59 - 61rc. XHP wasn’t data wasn’t available at the time (I should make a new chart).

I don’t really have a favorite folder steel. I just don’t use them hard enough for it to make a difference.

For fixed blades I like 5160. It is a simple carbon steel that has good corrosion resistance, can take a nice edge, is easy to maintain and holds up to heavy use.

n2s

Back