Favourite double edge razor blade...

I shave with Merkur 23c safety razor and it works great,gives me equal straight razor shave without iritation.Have tried variety of blades,still some of best shaves i had were with super max super stainless green and yellow blades.Have tried feather,personna and derby and most other brands.What are your favourites?

I use a Rex Ambassador to shave my noodle and get my most comfortable shave with Derby Premiums. If I'm in a hurry and use it on my face I find Kai followed by Feather give me a nice close shave. That being said I know there are many more I have not tried yet.

Tried out feather and its too rough and sharp for my face,derby is not bad,these new dorco prime i gorlt for bargain price and are excellent shavers,but super max gave me best shaves ever.

Yes, Feather blades can have a unrefined edge. When I use one and it gives me nicks, I'll take it and strop it on leather loaded with the green
rouge. Then shave with it. After 20 passes per bevel the edge will give a buttery smooth shave and no nicks. A big difference from a new blade. DM

My current stash is Gillette Silver-blue, and gillette 7 oclock super platinum (black)
One of the things I have found is that not only do you have an overall "sharpness" of each blade, and a longevity curve, but also that you may be more or less sensitive to how a particular blade works in a particular razor handle. For example, I don't find feathers to be "unrefined" at all in my gillette comb tech, but that they are so sharp that I can easy over-do a patch if I'm not being good with my prep. I also find that if I don't prep well when doing my scalp, my gillette adjustable will "skip" a bit, and the silver-blues will happily take a slice. Are those the blades fault? I don't think so.
I've also noticed that there can be a subtle difference in the flexibility between blades, and so how supported the blade is in the handle may make more of a difference in some instances. Since we are often talking just the slightest amount of leverage and razor handles, depending on age, can have pretty loose tolerance between units, there suddenly becomes this massive number of variables. All that is a long way of saying, shave what you like.

Gilette nacet is good blade,i like it,got myself parker 99r and is very good razor,feather ss razor is excellent btw,just little expensive,at the end technique plays important part,can shave with almost any blade without iritation,just some blades are sharper than others,and some like feather too rough for my skin.

Lord blades are my favorite. I bought a sample pack from West Coast Shaving 5 or so years ago and tried a dozen or so different brands including : Feather, Derby, Wilkinson, Personna, Shark etc. I found I liked the Lords best so I bought 500 blades on eBay for less than 20 bucks. I'd never go back to "modern razors" like the expensive garbage Gillette now sells.

Yes, Feather blades can have a unrefined edge. When I use one and it gives me nicks, I'll take it and strop it on leather loaded with the green
rouge. Then shave with it. After 20 passes per bevel the edge will give a buttery smooth shave and no nicks. A big difference from a new blade. DM

Wouldn't stropping 20 passes on any blade improve its cutting ability? Even the bargain blades at the drug store.

Sure it would. ^ But the point is all blades may not need stropping to smooth them out when they are new. DM

Wilkinson Sword out of Germany. Just stocked up on a package of 100.
7AM blades out of (??) are probably my second favorite.
Personna Red third.
Merkur 4th.

I'll never buy Feather again. Tore my face up. Whether using my Merkur 23C, or my Rockwell. Didn't matter. Bad razor burn.

Wilkinson Sword out of Germany. Just stocked up on a package of 100.
7AM blades out of (??) are probably my second favorite.
Personna Red third.
Merkur 4th.

I'll never buy Feather again. Tore my face up. Whether using my Merkur 23C, or my Rockwell. Didn't matter. Bad razor burn.

Had a similar experience with Feathers. Tried them multiple times, same result.

Yes, one can get clawing from Feather blades. But stropping will fix it. DM
Great way to be able to use them without just throwing them away. Fortunately, I only ever bought one package of 5 blades (they're also unreasonably expensive, IMO), and have finally used them all up. Won't ever buy any more.

That's fine. But my wife wanted to do something nice for me and bought a 100 pack and gifted them to me. Thus, I had to figure out some
way to make them work. It's really not much trouble. Then after I strop it once and I get one week worth of good shaves it can be brought
back quickly to a good shaving edge on my Charnley Forest stone. So, that's the manner I roll with them. DM

Back