FBM Update

I was thinking how the AR 9.5” is kind of like my SYKCO Mistress. (Which is a great name, btw) :cool:
Figured I should compare it to an actual Battle Mistress to see how similar they are(n’t). Since I don’t have a Battle Mistress, I went over to the Busse Combat site to get the specs. But there were no specs, because the Fusion Battle Mistress is no longer available. :eek: :eek:

Perhaps a new regular offering is upon us.....? o_O

I'd sure like to see three full sites loaded up with regular offerings.

I would, but my wallet wouldn’t.

Fusion Battle Mistress BG
Specs:
Overall Length approx. 16.25"
Blade Length: approx. 10"
Steel: SR101
Thickness: approx. .250"
Bevel Grind: Saber

Regular Price: $397

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-baddest-blade-in-the-land-returns.1516985/

Btw, don't have a Regulator to compare, but the 1111 is the SYKCO Mistress imo. ;)

My man!
Okay, so not very different on paper. Seems the AR 9.5” has half an inch less blade and three quarters of an inch less handle than the FBM, but it’s thicker and INFI.
Until they release an official SYKCO Mistress, it seems there are a few contenders for the title. Would like to see a 911, AR 9.5”, FBM, and an 1111 together.

The regulator handle is awesome. I also much prefer the Full flat grind of the AR, to the saber grind of the FBM. A SYKCO mistress would be sick. I imagine the fbm blade shape with FHFG Satin INFI, with a basic res-c handle. Or maybe the regulator handle. Both handles are excellent.

The regulator handle is awesome. I also much prefer the Full flat grind of the AR, to the saber grind of the FBM. A SYKCO mistress would be sick. I imagine the fbm blade shape with FHFG Satin INFI, with a basic res-c handle. Or maybe the regulator handle. Both handles are excellent.

Until it happens, I am more happy with my unofficial SYKCO Mistress.

The AR9.5, despite being ticket at the spine, feels much lighter in hand than the BG FBM - mostly because of the FHFG vs saber grind. I'd suspect you'd get more momentum going with the BG FBM, and maybe throw more chunks, due to the more obtuse primary grind, but the AR would bite deeper. The AR also has the more comfortable handle.

I have both of these knives. And they are close to the same size with the edge going to the BG FBM, but not by much. To my mind, the BG FBM feels quite a bit larger although it really isn't. What I have noticed is that I am more likely to grab the AR 9.5 when I head out into the field. Could it be that I select the AR due to the fact that I already have a sweet, well oiled sheath as a companion piece?

It could be that back in the day, I cut my teeth on the original CS Trailmaster and have carried various incarnations of that blade until I met up with the Basic 9 that summarily displaced my faithful Thompson designed cutter. Subjectively, the AR 9.5 reminds me of the original CS Trailmaster. Perhaps this has to do with proportions/ratios etc. The handle on the Trailmaster was thinner but the blade thickness was similar. I used that knife for a LONG time and had great results, but of course, during that period there was basically no competition in factory bowie knives unless you opted for the custom route. Another thing, the Trailmaster came stock with a wonderful hand fitted sheath.

This being said, I am now using the Trash 2 as my "ersatz" survival blade. While I missed out on the original offering, I was able to snag a nice one on the secondary market. The balance/heft is just about right for most of my needs. The sweet spot is somewhere in this cluster: Battle Rat, 3/16 Ratweiler, Camp Tramp, Rodent 9, Basic 9 and of course, the AR. If I had to choose a handle material for actual use I would go with Res C every time.

Bit of a pity that the BG FBM is no longer an item for purchase. I've had more than one person complain to me about the lack of availability on the web page but if you look hard enough, there are some sterling deals out there.

Keep in mind, the wait on a Randall knife is about five years as of today!

V Varmithunter , my BG FBM weighs in at a hefty 27.5oz.

Here's the BGFBM with an 1111 and the BME2:

2020-01-30 16.28.35.jpg

Sadly the FBM hasn't gotten any love yet. Those other two are hard to unseat and I've got a bunch of other user choppers to boot.

How much different are the weights?

I should be used to it by now, but I am surprised by the weight every time I pick up the Alpha Regulator. It’s balanced in such a way that it feels lighter than a knife of it’s size has any right to. In hand, it feels similar to the TGULB. Well, at least in my hand.

Back