Fear the Walking DEad? *possible spoilers* read at own risk

I fear watching the next episode - The two-bit Johnny Depp imitation was almost enough for me to write it off. It looks like they are going down the familiar character path. Start weak... Cry your way through a full season...Evolve...Become the savior of humanity. Why can't we focus on a group of prepared individuals who, without hesitation engage an unarmed, slow, and decaying enemy. Think Joe Teti and Rhonda Rousey leading a band of like individuals and killing at a 50:1 ratio. Instead I am forced to accept that it is the inherently weak who survive the initial zombie/bad human onslaught to give hope to a brave new world. I know that I am watching a make believe show about zombies - I get it! Does it have to defy all logic. Besides, the best science fiction(Herbert, Heinlen, Asimov) often focused on exceptional characters performing the impossible and saving us all.

I liked the first episode. It's an interesting contrast from the Walking Dead. In the Walking Dead, the show essentially started after it all hit the fan. They had an established group and the threat was already well known(except to Rick). In Fear, they are starting it from nearly the beginning. The plague has already started to spread but slow enough that it is thought to be rumors or exaggerated stories. I think we're going to see the chaos and characters slowly build as the outbreak becomes more apparent and engulfing. Glad it's not just a rehashed version on the Walking Dead. And we're pretty much going to get the Dead all year round. That's a win in my book.

I am reserving judgement until next epidsode. I guess I am just too much of a country boy to understand the city mentality. Probably always gone be more of a fan of the redneck, Daryl persona but I am willing to give this one a chance.

Garth

From what I understand, just 6 episodes this season. Picked up for another 15 after this. It was a little hard to watch. Hopefully gets going next episode.

Slow, but I'll also withhold judgment for future episodes. It looks more like they're setting up a "family" of survivors than a group of strangers. None of the new characters is particularly impressive, but we'll see. Of course I'll watch it, but the body count and the pace need to pick up.

Johnny Depp,knew there was a reason I didn't like him unless he dresses as a pirate or Willie Wonka.
At the first with that weird shirt thing he had on and the drug house set up puts me in the mind of a Johnny Depp-Jim Morrison hybrid.

My take: the junkie kid did a good job being a junkie, I've known some junkies and they do act in a similar way. The step dad has a lot on his plate, blending families, being a new guy, in a new house, with new people, and the baggage of both families. I don't think they meant this to be a shoot em up, kill em all type of show from day one. That would have been a little more boring. In order to succeed, there needs to be character development and some sort of solid story line. Non stop gore and violence will not appeal to a larger audience and translates into diminishing viewership. Given the main characters having mundane lives like most people, there was no reason for them to suspect that all hell was breaking loose and turn all "supper prepper 'Murica" on the spot.
For the first 90 minute show, it was good. There was just enought o get most people interested in what the next episode would be, that is the point. Keep them watching to see what happens next.
***nerd glasses on***

Isn't this suppose to take place 3 or so years ago when the original Georgia gangs started ?

***pushes glasses further up on nose***

Gas was not 2.38 a gallon especially in California!!!
And they did not have i phone 6's then!!!!

Hmmph

:)

Looked like an iPhone 4 to me. I missed the gas prices, didn't even see. Nt sure if it's supposed to be 3 years prior, Scott Gimple said it was going to be the same timeframe as when Rick had gotten shot in the line of duty and was hospitalized. I'd guess about 6 months give or take.

Looked like an iPhone 4 to me. I missed the gas prices, didn't even see. Nt sure if it's supposed to be 3 years prior, Scott Gimple said it was going to be the same timeframe as when Rick had gotten shot in the line of duty and was hospitalized. I'd guess about 6 months give or take.

not 3 years prior to the Georgia group, 3 years from today maybe 4 ?

Just got me to thinking. If LA (which would ve a desert if not for ifnastructure) got hit, everyone's best bet is to move north, well past Bakersfield................excuse me, I have magazines to load.

LOL! it is a lot of chow! Will they use Surachai or Tapatio? Also you're right about the kid at school they will be covering stuff up. I hope we see more of that kid...he might be the most prepared out of the cast so far

Sad the most prepared person so far is only armed with a kitchen knife hahaha. He has the right mindset at least add far as nor trusting the government and strength in numbers...

Rev is right, non stop killing with wooden characters would get old, you have to have emotional investment. Another thing they can (and did) play on is the fact that you know it's going to go really, really bad, you just don't know when (the scene where the main lady was trying to get the principle's attention had me on the edge of my seat).

Snoozefest! So much time spent on slow character development without giving us characters interesting enough to care about. I did like hot-but-brainy-teen's text to no-show BF "you better be dead." She will be a key player, looks + smarts. What I THOUGHT they were going to do, which would have been really cool, is in the last distance shot where they eare standing over dead zombie dealer guy, would be to pan over to the train that was going by, zoom in through the window, and show all zombie hell breaking loose inside. Would have been awesome. Could have been awesome. Which sums up my thoughts on the show so far, but we'll see . . . .

Next episode will be much better. Seems like it's gunna show the National Guard come in and try to subdue the panic

I fell asleep after Mommy wanted the step Dad to 'show her' the drug house. I'll watch it again later. We are use to Daryl, Rick, and Shane types. It might take a few episodes to get into the new group.

I figured the first episode was going to be slow. Have to build characters, get a feel for them, etc. When the world collapses it will be gradual, instead of just jumping into it like the Rick and being in a coma and waking up in it.

The nest episode looks a lot more promising, when civilization starts collapsing.

^^^With TWD we started off with Rick waking AFTER everything was done, right in the thick of it.

This time they start us from scratch.... You wouldn't get a whole crowd of zombies popping up all of a sudden. It doesn't happen that fast. In general, you get bitten, get feverish, really sick, you die, you turn a bit later. Of course, the process is fastest if you just happen to die for some other reason. But I don't think that you get 100 th of people dying in one city at the same time.

OK, when did that L.A. ditch that is in every movie from Grease to Terminator 2 to the Fast and the Furious lose all of its graffiti ? was that digital effects or did they actually paint it grey ?
And with all the people going down in there you would think they would put a gate up by now :)

:) A Nerd I am.

Back