• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

fed ex sucks bigtime!!!!

there should probably be an update, wiki style even, to "how to wrap and send items", with various tips on how to package stuff, label, what tape to use... all that.

i get a lot of my shopping done with the intarwebs, it's fast, convenient, and often fairly inexpensive compared to local - if local brick and mortar even HAS what i need. the packaging ranges from "we tossed your unprotected item into an envelope (ranging from paper, plastic, mylar, tyvek...) to "in case of nuclear attack, this box will protect your item". amazing really the thought some people goto.

when *i* sent something worrisome, i generally photograph the item (digital is cheap/free), including serial numbers, and wrap the item up so there's almost zero free play inside. momentum of moving box == eventual displacement of contents == item launching out... make your items as round /blunt as possible. tape. lots and lots of clear tape, all the seams taped first, wrapped in a particular pattern that ensures it won't unravel at all or easily. photographs along the way too. no complaints so far.

now, fedex vs ups vs DHL/GOD vs USPS are legion. ups is usually the worst around here, and USPS usually the best. UPS drivers seem to ... burn out quick. the DHL drivers tend to be much cuter ;> (they hire more womans and they are buff :> ahem)

fedex will eventually pay out claims. you just need to harrass them everyday, get names, take numbers. call everyone on the chain. keep working UP the foodchain. eventually, someone gets pissed and they say "pay them"... even if it's a case of a fedex truck body slamming your car because they drove like a crazed ox in heat. 3 months, but they paid.

and yeah, funny how they magically find your 20 day lost package the day after you harrass enough people ;)

bladite

That would be Sticky: How Should You Package Knives for Shipping? I sometimes think the best way to keep a secret is to put it in a sticky thread at the top of the forum. No one ever looks there....

oh, yah, i know about that one, which is why i was thinking "wiki" style - get all the info nuggets into one condensed nugget... the end all be all this is what to do (for various services) (for various items)... just my inner admin thinking outloud.

some of the info stickies are ... very very long - good, in depth, but lots of duplication too. and very long :)

thanx!

bladite

fed ex still sucks, still no word from them. except some guy who called to say he was looking for the knife and would call back in two hours. its been three days.

yes i believe i have, ground. or not, but i dont think it matters, if fedex allows 'contract' employees to wear their uniform, then they are partly responsible for their employees behavior while in the workplace. they still assume the liability regarding damaged/stolen/lost packages.

I've recently had occasion to send some knife materials worth just over $20K (about 120-pound package of damascus and titanium) across the country.

This is a nerve wracking experience, but I picked up some useful tips along the way.

1. When packaging your items, mark everything inside the box with your contact info so that if the box is broken/opened, the other packaging and every other box inside--especially the one(s) with the valuable item(s) repeat the pertinent contact info.
2. Send things you really care about overnight. The reason is that a ground package is handled something like 20 times on its way across the country whereas an overnight package is handled maybe 7. That means less likelihood of mishandling.

yes i believe i have, ground.
So it was FedEx Ground. Okay. Thanks.

"Or not?" You don't know how you shipped it? :confused:

but i dont think it matters, if fedex allows 'contract' employees to wear their uniform, then they are partly responsible for their employees behavior while in the workplace. they still assume the liability regarding damaged/stolen/lost packages.
I'm certainly not saying that if it was a contractor wearing the FedEx label that FedEx isn't responsible. It was FedEx that took responsibility for delivering your package, so of course FedEx is responsible. I'm just trying to get clarified whether it was real FedEx or FedEx Ground. From a perspective of getting ones package delivered, I believe it matters. It shouldn't, but I think it does.

I'm certainly not saying that if it was a contractor wearing the FedEx label that FedEx isn't responsible. It was FedEx that took responsibility for delivering your package, so of course FedEx is responsible. I'm just trying to get clarified whether it was real FedEx or FedEx Ground. From a perspective of getting ones package delivered, I believe it matters. It shouldn't, but I think it does.

Unfortunatly it does matter. It is a different company. It was bought by FedEx and renamed but it is still run independantly and rather shittly at that. I discovered this when I had a problem with a delivery from them. That is also why the have their own colors instead of using the real FedEx colors. Grounds is green and something. The customer support and grievance policys are like night and day.

Unfortunatly it does matter. It is a different company.
Yes, I know. I first brought that up in this thread all the way back on page 1. (And expanded/clarified on page 2.) That's why I'm trying to establish exactly which FedEx MORIMOTOM used.

There may be some problems down this way in Oklahoma. They showed several pictures of a double FED-EX trailer jackknifed and upside down East of Oklahoma City on the I-40. We are having all kinds of fun now with all Turnpikes shut down East , West, AND North. When I saw the trailer I wondered what all was on it.

Yes, I know. I first brought that up in this thread all the way back on page 1. (And expanded/clarified on page 2.) That's why I'm trying to establish exactly which FedEx MORIMOTOM used.

it was indeed ground, 'or not' referred to whether i had previously said so. i didnt want to read through all the posts to confirm whether i had said it was ground or 'real' fedex.

still waiting, claim has been filed in its entirety twice.

got a call last week from someone claiming to be working at the local hub, and he was looking for the knife and would call me back in a couple hours. i was half asleep so didnt get a name or number. needless to say he never called back.

no word from that pos company.

I just want to reaffirm the belief stated previously that you must be persistant with your claim. Last year I had an item that was shipped FedEx Ground receive obvious shipping damage. I filed a claim and it was denied a few weeks later with no explaination. I got on the phone and spoke to the claims people and explained how it was unacceptable. I got nowhere and figured it was a lost cause. A week after that phone call, lo and behold a check from FedEx arrives in the mail paying out my claim. Again, no explaination given as to why the about face. They (FedEx Ground) probably deny a large percentage of legitimate claims in the hope that people will drop the matter instead of pursuing it. I imagine most shipping companies operate this way since I have never heard of someone having a pleasant and expediant insurance claim payoff.

Ed

The 2 issues I've had with UPS resulted in a refund check to me for the total of the item (up to the $100 since I didn't insure it) + the shipping. They've always sent me a check within 21 days.

Fed Ex is one I refuse to use and USPS-Priority Mail - I've never had them lose a package but they did take 15 days to get a package from WA state to Michigan. And it went Priority Mail in a Flat Rate Box so it was clearly marked.

So you would rather UPS lose 2 packages than have UPSP be late on 1......don't make much sense to me, but to each his own.

still waiting, claim has been filed in its entirety twice.
got a call last week from someone claiming to be working at the local hub, and he was looking for the knife and would call me back in a couple hours. i was half asleep so didnt get a name or number. needless to say he never called back.
no word from that pos company.

how long has it been so far? write that down on a legal pad, as well as everything you know so far. make sure you have have all the 800 numbers you can find. you're going to make some calls :>

week 0:
get out your legal pad. write down their number, and the time. call them. note the person's name and extension if you can. have a nice chat, make some notes, keep it clean and professional. got a claim #? no? get one. get a ticket, get in the system.

then call them the next day. same deal, give them the case #. takes notes, names, numbers. see if you can't get another fax number, and the name and fax for the supervisor or area rep. see how far you can push.

that's week 0. fax them a copy of week 0's notes and number :) you can type them up neater and add/omit if you like; esp nice if you fax via your computer - no cost to you :>

week 1, call the numbers, immediately bump for supervisor. get the names. be polite and firm and ask when you are eitehr going to get resolution on a refund/etc, or knowledge that the package was shipped and all costs refunded. keep at them. call the regional names if you have any. start collecting email address. now is the time to also let them know that you are "blogging" this and 1000s and 1000s of people read it.

end of week 1. as before, fax them everything, and email now if you can...

the idea is you keep doing this, working up the chain, and document everything... they are going to HATE you, and sooner or later it's going to be easier to pay you off. don't necessarily accept the first offer unless it's what you want.

good luck...

bladite

Back