• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fehrman Knives 10" Hood Hunter

Just in time for werewolf hunting season! Here is the classic stabby chopper by Ron Hood, the precursor to the current Buck Hoodlum. One can consider this a Hoodlum with a serious mean streak (and without critical design flaws). I get that Ron made this for wilderness survival, but look at this thing. The asymmetric guards, hollow-ground swedges, and full flat blade profile with razor sharp edge are hungry for more than wood chips. It's also 1/4" of 3V steel and comes in the rare hand-polished finish.

Here is Ron's original posting about this model:

http://survival.com/html/hood_hunter.html

I bought this very knife in 2007 from Fehrman. After making its way through multiple owners, it came back to me. I removed the handles, cleaned off all corrosion, wiped it down with Marine Tuf-Cloth, and stropped the edge on naked leather back to its original meat-eating razor sharpness.

One of the previous owners was kind enough to have a custom leather sheath made for it, which fits perfectly and works a lot better than the surface-tearing kydex that this knife originally came with. I am happy to report that the original kydex sheath will NOT come with this knife, it has been ritualistically destroyed.

Other previous owners used it somewhat, so there are surface scratches on the blade. There are also horizontal rub marks from the aforementioned kydex sheath. Aside from this and the inevitable patina that comes with age (mostly noticeable on the spine, butt, and tang under the handles) this thing is practically new.

These things were rare when they were made eight years ago, and rarely surface on the open market. I bought this from Fehrman for close to $500, then repurchased it this year for $400. Now it's back, better than ever, for only $350. Price includes US shipping and Paypal. Shipping will be Priority, so hopefully this thing won't have time to eat its way out of the package and escape back to the wild.

Dammit - I'm trying not to buy more knives, but I always regretted not getting one of these.

If the tip and edge are in good shape, and there is no pitting, I'll take it.

LOL @ Brummie ... and thanks ... my wife would have killed me with this if you hadnt beat me to it.

Funds sent. Luckily I have no wife - only my own scruples to circumvent.

Man for $350 how could anyone go wrong. What a hunk of steel!

You can get some big chunks of 3V at very reasonable prices these days, not least the CS Magnum Warcraft - 12" blade that can readily be found for only just over $200. But the Hood Hunter is rare and fairly unique, and I'd consider this a good price for one.

Back