Female hiker lost or abducted?

A experienced female hiker is missing in the north Georgia mts. & may have been abducted. she had her dog with her. someone said that a man was seen close by carrying a police baton. all that has been found was two water bottles, her sunglasses, a dog leash & a baton. I dont have the link, to the news clip. she is said to have martial arts training.

offtopic:
hehe, posted the same minute.
But I have to admit I didn't play it totally fair.
I posted first, and afterwards read the full article.:D

I hope she will be found unharmed, but with a handsome young woman abducted by some old toothless freak, I'm fearing the worst .:grumpy:

I have been following the story since I first heard yesterday. I hope she is okay. Did she have the baton or did the suspected 50-60 year old man. I have hiked that area quite frequently. Knowing the area fairly well I can say that, unless she wandered off the trail, which isn't likely, it's very easy to find your way back out with the trails being marked. So, I doubt she's lost out there. I wish I could do something to help, being a local myself.

I love martial arts comments. I cant count how many times I and friends successfully threw down with black belts. More often than not they were the ones looking for the action. It gives people a false sense of security including women. It does very little in a proper street fight or life and death struggle. She had to be either cocky or dumb to be hiking alone in an isolated area.

I hope she is ok as crime is bad enough in urban areas it should not be allowed in the backcountry, wishfull thinking I know.

Skam

I just seen an update on ch:2 news they have a pic, of the old man they are looking for & a licence plate number from Decalb co. Ga.

I just called Union county sheriffs office and they are still out there searching. The dispatch office said that they haven't found anything yet and are not sure if they will do another search tomorrow.

Most of the people interviewed on tv said that they will be back at first light to continue searching!

:eek::eek: Searching should be done at night its the best time to find people.

I wonder if there is an actual SAR team searching or Leo's that need mums cooking and satin sheets.:rolleyes:.

Skam

This whole deal has bad vibes...when on Washoe County SAR we had a girl go missing over the holidays about ten years ago. It didn't end well. Hope this works out for the best.

Why the night?

Less ambient noise. Easier to hear. Less people destroying clues being in the area. Sound travels more at night. Lights and flares are seen easier.

The biggest reason is that the lost subject is usually not mobile at night and can hear calls or can be caught up with by limiting the size of the search area.

That said its still a 24 hr operation and in no way should be over in one day unless positive id is made elsewhere.

Skam

I hope this has a better outcome than these things usually do. I pray for her safe return.

Honestly , hiking alone in remote areas, this time of year is foolish.

While I hope she is okay my sympathies end there , common sense is a 24/7 sort of thing.

Makes you wonder about foreshadowing from the lengthy 'two-legged snake' thread from the holidays!

Wishing this poor soul the best of chances.

Hope she turns up okay and just frightened and not anything worse than that. Seems unlikely now, but still hoping for the best.

Honestly , hiking alone in remote areas, this time of year is foolish.

While I hope she is okay my sympathies end there , common sense is a 24/7 sort of thing.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit here? Without knowing the rate at which solo hikers are hurt either by accident or foul play, it's impossible to say it's a foolish activity. For example, if you could verify that, say, 50% of solo hikers meet a violent end, then it's reasonable to conclude that such an activity is foolish. Similarly, if only .1% of solo hikers meet a violent end, one could conclude that solo hiking is a generally safe activity.

Lacking such data, one cannot draw conclusions.

This is sort of like saying owning a gun is foolish, after reading a story about someone being shot. Without knowing the rate of such incidents occurring, let alone any actual causes.

Not only that, it's entirely possible for an assailant to overpower a small group of hikers. Hiking with others guarantees nothing.

Blaming the victim is premature until it can be established the victim was truly reckless.

It doesn't sound good, but I hope she's alright. The guy and baton is what sounds disturbing. I'm in Ga, If I wasn't sick I'd search myself.

I hike alone all the time. Anything can happen to a solo or a group. I doubt she did anything wrong to deserve what happened. If this guy abducted her then he is the fool.

Back