Female hiker lost or abducted?

I might be wrong (hope so), but have you ever, I mean EVER heard of a Labrador or Golden Retriever defending anyone? (Retriever owners please tell me I'm wrong)
I didn't think about it until now, but over the years I've read some newspaper articles about dog attacks and whenever the victim had a Retriever or Setter with him, it did nothing at all to protect it's owner.
When I had my retriever mix, he stayed close by and when I tried to lose him to see if he could find me, he would find me without breaking a sweat, it was a game he was good at.
How far was the dog from the parking lot where her car was parked?
and how far from the dog was the person of interest found? Same direction? LE should have some good leads by now.

They found her dog 49 miles away from her car. Dosn't sound good.
Toro

I hike alone all the time. Anything can happen to a solo or a group. I doubt she did anything wrong to deserve what happened. If this guy abducted her then he is the fool.

I am not sure I understand what your saying. :confused:

I see a girl running frequently on a main 2 lane road on my way home from work. I have talked to my wife about how naive she is, there are some very bad areas close to where she runs, she runs a predictable route and people drive like maniacs on the road. I would like to tell her what she is doing is not too smart but I don't even know her.

There are so many people that go through life thinking everyone is as nice as they are, the truth of the matter is, is that a good amount of people are little more than predators sizing you up. I hike, hunt and fish a lot by myself, I am also not a young female and I am also armed and not just with a little keychain pepper spray. Chris

I might be wrong (hope so), but have you ever, I mean EVER heard of a Labrador or Golden Retriever defending anyone? (Retriever owners please tell me I'm wrong)
I didn't think about it until now, but over the years I've read some newspaper articles about dog attacks and whenever the victim had a Retriever or Setter with him, it did nothing at all to protect it's owner.
My neighbors had a Golden. When I worked in the back yard, he brought his Frisbee (or a slimy tennis ball) to the fence and whined for me to play with him. Nice doggie.

When the Mrs. was at home alone, the dog would bark at anyone who came to the door. This was intimidating to the Girl Scouts selling cookies etc. Mrs. developed a pattern of putting the dog behind a closed door when she answered the front door.

One day, someone rang the door bell. She put the dog in the kitchen and closed the door before answering the bell. The thug at the door pushed in and grabbed her. The Golden broke through the kitchen door and went after the thug. Lots and lots of blood. The thug went to the hospital in "critical condition." Two of his fingers -- and some globs of this and that -- went along in a Dixie Cup.

After that, nice doggie was not locked up when the door bell rang.

I am not sure I understand what your saying. :confused:

I see a girl running frequently on a main 2 lane road on my way home from work. I have talked to my wife about how naive she is, there are some very bad areas close to where she runs, she runs a predictable route and people drive like maniacs on the road. I would like to tell her what she is doing is not too smart but I don't even know her.

There are so many people that go through life thinking everyone is as nice as they are, the truth of the matter is, is that a good amount of people are little more than predators sizing you up.

Well put. It is very difficult to convince young people-especially young women-about the dangers of solo backcountry travel. Whether its naive or
misplaced trust, I am not sure. They need to understand that human predators, like their wild counterparts, look for weakness and vulnerability. Many feel that hiking with a dog will protect them from people but not all dogs have the protective instinct. Packing a knife or gun is not enough.
But it helps.

GB

I was walking my friends black lab at night in a park in NYC, two guys started charging down a hill directly at us, I don't think they saw the dog, it was dark and she was peeing behind a big tree. When they got about 15 feet away, she charged at them, going up on her hind legs and pulling on the leash and snarling and growling. I have now doubt that if I let go of the leash they would have been toast. In any case they took off faster than they came.

49 miles away from her car
That's not good. Somebody gave him a lift and the dog's hair/fur/DNA will be in the car.

OT: personally I prefer retriever mixes. Mine was mixed Golden and Labrador with a touch of Rottweiler; that touch changed his personality a lot.

Well put. It is very difficult to convince young people-especially young women-about the dangers of solo backcountry travel

Very true. I once lived with a woman who asked to borrow my mtn. bike to ride a trail in the national forest. The trail is heavily used but, located where it is, you can still ride for miles and see no one. I told my GF that she could not borrow the bike to ride there because it was stupid for female to be riding there alone. She was PISSED! Feminism, blah blah. Less than a week after this conversation a woman riding on the trail alone was very badly beaten robbed and raped. I wish I had been wrong.

Very true. I once lived with a woman who asked to borrow my mtn. bike to ride a trail in the national forest. The trail is heavily used but, located where it is, you can still ride for miles and see no one. I told my GF that she could not borrow the bike to ride there because it was stupid for female to be riding there alone. She was PISSED! Feminism, blah blah. Less than a week after this conversation a woman riding on the trail alone was very badly beaten robbed and raped. I wish I had been wrong.

Damn, was your GF grateful for your concern after she heard the news?

She was no longer pissed but I don't think grateful is in her repertoire. It has been over ten years but her comment was something like "If I didn't know you were here with me I would have thought you did this just to prove me wrong." Lovely lady, now ex#2.

@Thomas: Good story! I'm glad I was wrong! :thumbup:

That story is highly unusual for a retriever breed. I have had them bark and alert but they would hold the door open for theives and help them carry out the loot.

Skam

She was no longer pissed but I don't think grateful is in her repertoire. It has been over ten years but her comment was something like "If I didn't know you were here with me I would have thought you did this just to prove me wrong." Lovely lady, now ex#2.

Gotta love feminism. What really irritates me is when they play both ends when it suits them.

"Honey can you get the groceries out of the car for me they are too heavy" .

"Mowing the lawn, shovelling snow and taking the garbage out is a mans job."

I wouldnt dare consider getting out of doing dishes tho.

:rolleyes:

Skam

I own a Chesapeake right now that will bite, I have scars to prove it. Any dog breed will bite in the right conditions and a loved one struggling and screaming will almost always trigger it. If me and my wife wrestle around and especially if she yells or struggles both of my male dogs will get aggressive towards me, if I didn't stop or were really violent I have no doubt they would bite. Chris

I'm glad to hear the Golden story. I've known of a few cases of labs taking a chunk out of a deserving individual but I've never heard of a golden biting. I'm glad that one did.

That story is highly unusual for a retriever breed.

Well, I myself prefer dogs that are bred to protect their loved ones. I have a Keeshond(Wolfspitz in german)-mix that protects even our cats!
Those dogs were very common in europe until people began to choose their dogs by their looks (almost as a fashion item) instead of their characteristics.
I won't tell anyone what dog, knife, car or gun to buy, but I personally don't like this developement very much. I won't get a hunting dog or sleigh dog for protection. That's what pinschers (including dobies), schnauzers, keeshonds, rotties and other breeds are for. A dog doesn't necessarily need to be as big as a bull to be useful. It's the instinct!

Gotta love feminism. What really irritates me is when they play both ends when it suits them

Skammer, you can believe there was no feminist attitude whatsoever during any of the discussions about alimony or divvying up possessions. I have no problem with feminism whatsoever BUT it either cuts both ways or it doesn't cut, in my ever so humble yet correct opinion.

A dog doesn't necessarily need to be as big as a bull to be useful. It's the instinct!

Totally agree. We had a standard poodle when I was a kid. Not an apparent aggressive bone in her body but I learned quickly to make sure none of my friends rough housed with me in her sight or hearing. I have a poodleX now and every time I hug or kiss my wife or child he is right there "just making sure". He isn't kidding either, as I learned the hard way when I gave my wife a playful smack on the butt. I immediately had a 40 lb dog attached to my forearm for a second.

I own a Chesapeake right now that will bite, I have scars to prove it. Any dog breed will bite in the right conditions and a loved one struggling and screaming will almost always trigger it. Chris

Agreed, As a generalization however many many times labs will not bite an attacker the breed is not naturally protective thus they are not used for guard dogs to protect anything. FOr the same reason is why they are used for service dogs as their temperment and IQ lend well for public work.

They will alert and even show agression but rarely attack. There are nasty dogs of every breed some of this comes down to nurture vs nature but the breed is sound and doesnt go off for no reason. Guard dog breeds wont be replaced by retrievers any time soon.

As far as Chessie knuckleheads;) they have a little get up and go no question.:D

Been breeding and training labs in my family for generations.

Skam

Back