1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ferric chloride (acid etch) vs abs plastic

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ILoveAniceOpeningHole, May 14, 2019.

1. ILoveAniceOpeningHole

ILoveAniceOpeningHole

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi everyone. I have an old crkt no bother small fixed blade ,it has a black stone wash finish with black abs inserts in the tang as handle scales ,I want to sand down the blackwash n replace it with an acid etch/finish

My question is will the ferric chloride react badly with the abs and damage it?

I would like to add a picture of the knife but cznt figure out how to do that

2. Michael Pattarozzi

Michael Pattarozzi

Jul 15, 2018
    I watched ferric chloride etch and destroy the stainless steel surface of a field mass spectrometer. I doubt your knife would survive.

3. ILoveAniceOpeningHole

ILoveAniceOpeningHole

Nov 10, 2018
    Everyone uses f.c to acid etch stainless steel...Everyone. I've used it to etch a few knives without any problem. And I wasnt asking about the steel because I k how it's going to be fine to use on that

4. ILoveAniceOpeningHole

ILoveAniceOpeningHole

Nov 10, 2018
    Because I know*