Ferric Chloride Etching

Im curious as to whether anyone else etches knives like this. So far I've seen various forms of etching but haven't seen anyone do them like this. Am I the only one??

Are you using stencils? I've done a few using FeCl and vinyl sticky stencils with custom patterns printed off at a local t-shirt shop. Interested in your process.

No, I free hand etch with no stencils involved. The base solution is ferric chloride with other solutes. I cover the blade with a nail polish solution with other thinners and solutes mixed in. I'm ambiguous and vague pertaining the details because I've spent a lot of time perfecting and honing the process. There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing various methods of etching, I am weary of divulging ratios and exact details because of the corporate like sense of ownership I feel over this proprietary method I have developed.

Last edited:
Yes both are my videos showing the knives I've done.

Well then, just a heads up....You might want to check the rules before you run afoul of the mods, because

"*The only members who may promote or display their personally built knives, their products, or services in the discussion threads, signature, home page listing or their user profile are "Manufacturers", "Dealers", and "Knifemaker/Craftsman/Service Provider"."

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

Oh I'm sorry I was not aware of that. Can I still sell them on the exchange ?

Essentially, if you make money from modifying knives, you need a knife maker membership. If you are doing it purely for the love of doing it and there is no monetary return in it, you don't need a knife maker membership.

Allow me to clarify.
You modify a knife for your own personal enjoyment and don't modify knives for others for a fee. You can display your knife if you want to at any membership level.

You have a knife that you modified for your own enjoyment and you don't modify knives for others for a fee. If you sell the knife, Gold membership covers it.
(That works for a knife or two. If the mods see you selling a lot of modified knives, you are going to need that knifemaker / craftsman membership.)

On the other hand:
If you modify knives for others for a fee, then you need a knife maker / service provider membership in order to display knives that you modify. even if they are your own.

If you modify knives with the intent of customizing them to increase their value so you can sell them for more money, then you need a knifemaker / service provider membership. (If you sell a lot of customized knives, the mods are likely going to require you to get that knifemaker membership, no matter what your stated intentions are.)

And you need a knife maker / service provider membership if you are going to advertise your services in your signature line. Ahem....

Eloquently stated. I think my best course of action will be to get the knife maker / service provider membership. I am working on a cold steel Finn Wolf right now and should (hopefully) be done in a few days.. or another dozen hours, depending on how you want to look at it.

I have sold the knife seen in the second video to a bladeforums member. That is the only one I've sold on here. I'm a broke Canadian university student and the $75 USD is $93 CAD. How far can I push the envelope? How much discretionary mercy will I receive? If I could sell just the two others I'd have some room to breath financially. BladeForums is the only place I can showcase my work to a broad, receptive and intrigued demographic of people. If I can that'd be fantastic, and if not then I completely understand.

I think it's a unique hobby niche that would do well... Looks like fantastic work to be sure!

As long as your goal isn't to make a living at it I think you will have fun and provide a cool service, and even make some side cash :) For someone like myself or others that do this full time what would have to be charged for the time invested wouldn't really be feasible I don't imagine. I would love to e more of your work so the sooner you get the upgraded membership the better ;)

You say - took me 25 - 30 hours total to complete - The waiters in Canada have an average salary of 9.34 Canadian dollars per hour The usual waitress for waiters in restaurants is 15-20% of the bill. etc.
it looks like you're schooling for :poop:

Last edited:
Actually Canadian minimum wage currently stands at $11.25 CAD. I'm taking political science major and Sociology minor (3rd year) with intentions of going into law or some government job. Its rather cynical to view schooling as being worthless in my opinion. People pay to have things engraved and engraving is exponentially more expensive than what I'm charging. Im not asking thousands of dollars but a reasonable hourly rate.

warning for insults
:eek:political science major and Sociology minor (3rd year) with intentions of going into law or some government job.
Another bullshiter that workers need to feed :eek:

chumaman- why don't you show us some of YOUR artwork or handiwork?
Mythrillblades is a young guy who is attempting an art form that is very rare today, and is to be commended.
Politics is not what we discuss here.

One warning with points issued for insults.
The only reason two warnings were not issued is I try to only issue one warning per poster per thread. But keep going and I will be happy to make an exception for you.

What is the politics for you, the statement that an increasing number of pseudoscience professions are living on the upright of a less and less paid worker .... for the disadvantage of you I have been unlucky to live in more social arrangements but in all the same gentlemen intellectuals are also floating.
To understand that I have nothing against his art, what I think is very good is only expressed in Chinese counterfeits even though he denies it ...
Next ... my crafts are not just mine because I work through Infamous Blades
along with my buddy so if you're interested use the search engine.

truly sorry to better read than write English because it is not my native language :(

You seem to mix up Chinese counterfeit/replica knives of established knife companies and OEM products. This knife is branded and sold under a couple of company names.. its not counterfeit.
You seem to be some a person disgruntled with the bureaucratic system which puts us in the same boat. Im for limited govt and hold conservative social and economic views. Politics is the study of who gets what and how much. Why are you so quick to attack me on things you apparently don't know much about

My younger sister is a graduate political scientist, but she is older and more experienced than you. Again, the older brother's experience is more than paper, it's just a life that you will only experience ... now you are still full of ideas and faith that you will move the world.
I'll ask you for 20 years ;) live long and prosper :thumbsup:

And.....prove your statement o_O
This knife is branded and sold under a couple of company names

Last edited:
website are selling counterfeit Fox products
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fixed-Blad...hash=item4672227b21:m:m_9i_KN5xuhvmKVrWOvp8VA
OEM ? c'mon :rolleyes:
prove it....but that is .... mission Impossible :oops:
quote-is-politics-nothing-other-than-the-art-of-deliberately-lyi.jpg

Last edited:
Back