Fiberglass Resin on Scales?

I have 3 knives and they are Knives 1, 2 and, 3 of my knife making career(LOL career).

The scale material is Orange Osage, Curly Walnut, and Maple Burl.
Can I use the fiberglass resin to like clear coat or like seal these?. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't?

There were other things I wanted to ask but i can't remember them right now LOL anyway I'll get this started

Thanks for any and all replies

MMM not a good option, it may go off on you before you are done, not sure how durable it is used like that.

Richard

Ive use casting resin from a surfboard/boat supply but never as a sealant. Well one time I used it to sort of glue a pice of paper to my clipboard and put a layer on top that sealed it. No complaints. It might have been epoxy but I think it was the casting resin.
I have never banged it around so I dont know, but it made a fine sealant for a flat thing on a flat thing!

I would think there would be better sealants. A polyurathane would probably be good, after all its made for wood. There are wood hardeners too, even a water based one but I dont know how well it would work on a surface.

is any of this materail stablized? Use super glue if you use anything.

It will chip very easily. Fiberglass resin is too viscous to really penetrate wood without a lot of pressure and is usually brittle when cured (though epoxies are tougher than polyesters). So your coating is just going to be sitting on top of the surface rather than being truly bonded to it. Any impact is going to cause it to crack and flake off.

I have used epoxy resin to seal wood grips many times. Its only possible weakness is that it will eventually breakdown if exposed constantly to UV light. This is an unlikely problem unless it is displayed out in the open permanently. I only use epoxy to coat knives that will be used in wet or dirty conditions rather than for display.

Apart from that it works well on most timbers. I put the epoxy on with a rag and rub a light coat over. When it gets sticky I put another very thin coat on. Depends on the wood but 2 or 3 coats is usually enough. Rubbing in on with a rag avoids a gloss finish - I like a matte finish that is waterproof but not slippery. Wear disposable gloves.

Superglue is good but is trickier to use.

Back