Fiddleback ANYDAY Pocket Dump....Updated title

My first Fiddleback, love everything about it.
New_Trads2_7_11_16.jpg

Man, I love this thread. I bought two O-lights last week. (And I kept a sweet Monarch too, so it was a good week.) I'm watching excitedly.

OK Ive bought two Olights and a damn prince flashlight since this thread started. I also got a sweet flashlight at Bladeshow. (Jetbeam). The blade show light has been my only one each year for a few years now. This thread has consequences. Don't tell Leah.

It's not a pocket dump item, but on the topic of flashlights, I'm looking to get a larger one to keep in my car. Any recommendations? I have a spare S30R that I keep in there right now but something a little brighter and with more run time would be sweet.

I would stay away from lithium ion for a car flashlight. I use a 5 Cell D maglight for the car. The alkaline batteries are less heat sensitive and, when they do fail, do not do so catastrophically.

I let this knife go a year and a half ago and recently had the opportunity to bring it back in. Looking forward to making this kit work again for pocket carry. The grips and rounds have changed since then as well, so I will take an updated photo soon!

2fmsiRf.jpg

I would stay away from lithium ion for a car flashlight. I use a 5 Cell D maglight for the car. The alkaline batteries are less heat sensitive and, when they do fail, do not do so catastrophically.

That's a good call. How about NiMH batteries?

Good choice, recyclable, does not explode violently. Only cons are they have a lower voltage than comparable batteries so check runtime/voltage against the light. Candlepower forum might be able to help you there.

I still can't decide which light to get.. bwahahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All of them ;)
My pocket can't handle all of them.. 1 at a time.

I have these

AAA Maratac
AAA Streamlight Micro Stream

Then my big light is a
Cr123 x2 in a Streamlight Polytac HP

Want something brighter for the pocket carry, the Polytac is just too big to carry..

B

steve-o

that slip joint is awesome!!

Kymedic45

get one like the olight Andy & I bought. It's freakin sweet:thumbup:

My pocket can't handle all of them.. 1 at a time.

I have these

AAA Maratac
AAA Streamlight Micro Stream

Then my big light is a

Want something brighter for the pocket carry, the Polytac is just too big to carry..

B

I'd suggest the Olight S1 Baton then. It's a single CR123A so it'll be smaller than your big light but still puts out 500 lumens.

Then my big light is a

I would strongly advise swapping those out for a single AW protected 17670. Two CR123's lined up like that is very unstable and will result in an explosive reaction over time. Bonus is the 17670 is rechargeable and has nearly identical width and voltage to the double CR123A.

The batteries lose charge at different rates resulting in a scenario where one begins to fail and starts drawing power from the one with juice in it. They are not designed to charge each other and so gas and heat begin to release as the lithium ion metals react. Since they are in a closed space pressure builds before catastrophic failure of the aluminum flashlight body and ... something amazing happens. Then, the EPA come to your house.

The single battery may still fail but the AW protected version has a circuit to shut it down under adverse conditions such as rapid discharge, and the specific means of failure presented above is eliminated by presence of 1 battery.

Last edited:
Back