Fiddleback community center

Scary stuff to hear about but I'm glad that it wasn't any worse than it was. I hope everyone is doing alright or feels better soon.

Wow! I bet you all are sore today. Looks like your car weathered the side impact really well, which I guess is reassuring. I hope you aren't all feeling too shook up. Whenever I've been in a fender-bender, I've felt the chill breath of mortality...

What a day.

My mom called me today around noon and asked what I was doing. Kylie had gone off to meet her mom & sister for lunch so I said "nothing, what's up?"

Mom - " I fell down and can't get up...my shoulder hurts real bad, I need you to come over and help me and probably take me to the ER"
Oh $hig

Once I arrive at her house, I holler out "Mom", and she replies "I'm in the kitchen". She was sitting on the floor with her arm held tightly to her stomach.
When I walked up to her she attempted to move and cringed in terrible pain and I realized that I am not going to be able to try and get her up without causing her more pain. So, I decided to call 911. After being placed on hold with Gwinnett County, GA 911....I finally was able to get a human and gave them the details of what happened. The EMTs and Firetruck arrived and was able to help my mom.
They stabilized her arm and 4 of the EMTs/Firemen picked her up off the floor trying to cause as little pain as possible. During this time we discovered that prior to the fall she was cleaning a portion of her floor with spray floor polish type of cleaner which caused her to slip and fall. She said several times that she fell due to her "stupidity".

They transported her to the ER. I followed behind and Kylie was quick to get there after leaving lunch with her Mom and sister.
After numerous Xrays, they discovered that she fractured her Humerus bone, just below the ball joint right below the shoulder.

She is now in a sling and we will need to call and Orthopedist on Monday. Please keep her in your thoughts as she is 71...soon to be 72 on 09/02 and in a bit of pain. We are hoping that she takes it easy but she is just as stubborn...if not more..than myself (according to Kylie).

Things we have discovered today...
1. You cannot open a water/diet coke bottles with one hand.
2. You cannot open prescription bottles with one hand.
3. Getting dressed/undressed is very difficult (thank you Kylie for helping my mom with this one)
4. Sitting in an ER waiting room is not a fun place if you are not sick or not in an ER situation. All ERs should have a "non sick person waiting room". Sitting next to someone who has been throwing up for days or who has just sliced their hand open with a table saw is not pleasant and I am a germaphobe.
5. My mom is one tough Mother$^$&$!!! She took the pain like a champ. She made pain her B*$ch! And I love her!

Thank you.
Phillip and Kylie

Sounds like mom called the right person - good efforts Phillip/Kylie, and here's wishing her a speedy recovery!

Sounds like you did a great job of taking care of your mom when she needed you. Wishing her the best in her recovery.

So sorry to hear that Phillip. I wish your Mom a full and speedy recovery.

These incidents can be very scary and stressful. Something similar happened to my Dad a few weeks back.

Wait, go back to the part where you called 911 and were put on hold?!

:mad:

I'm sorry for your mother's injury, and glad you and Kylie were near enough to help.

Big hearts, yours.

~ P.

Hey buddy,
Sorry to hear about your mom and even though her injury is no small thing, I'm glad it wasn't worse.
Times have changed, your mom and many others from her era are some tough cookies. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Well, I hope your mom has a speedy recovery and your weekend starts to look up.
Take care,
Sergio

Sounds like mom called the right person - good efforts Phillip/Kylie, and here's wishing her a speedy recovery!
thank you Jason
Best wishes, Phillip, Kylie, and Mom! Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.
we appreciate it. thank you
Sounds like you did a great job of taking care of your mom when she needed you. Wishing her the best in her recovery.
Nathan, thank you. Very stressful day
So sorry to hear that Phillip. I wish your Mom a full and speedy recovery.
These incidents can be very scary and stressful. Something similar happened to my Dad a few weeks back.
Thanks Abe. I feel your pain. NOT fun at all
Wait, go back to the part where you called 911 and were put on hold?!

:mad:

I'm sorry for your mother's injury, and glad you and Kylie were near enough to help.

Big hearts, yours.

~ P.
Yep. Automated "HOLD"..Dont hang up, someone will be with you shortly. I guess thats the price you pay for living in one of the largest counties in GA.
Hey buddy,
Sorry to hear about your mom and even though her injury is no small thing, I'm glad it wasn't worse.
Times have changed, your mom and many others from her era are some tough cookies. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Well, I hope your mom has a speedy recovery and your weekend starts to look up.
Take care,
Sergio
Thanks Sergio.
Im very proud of her and have no doubt she is going to be OK
If I could get her to log in here, I would have her tell you about the time I was 7 and hid a fractured leg until it was too late to do anything about it. TRUE STORY. I guess I get that from her.

Saddest part of the day was when they started to load her in the back of the ambulance & she started crying..."the last time I was in back of of an ambulance my husband was dying".....tough for me and her.

Hey Phillip,

I am glad that you were available to answer the call and provide help when your mother needed it. That is a bad place for a break. I hope she heals up quickly and completely.

Older parents and/or in-laws require a lot more patience and support than they want to admit or accept. It is very hard for them to ask for help when it reminds them that full independence is gradually slipping away. What used to be easy is not any more for them. It is a challenging situation for all involved.

Please keep us posted how your mom is doing.

Phil

Dang Phillip, I'm really sorry to hear about that. Our thoughts and prayers will be with your Mom.

Back