1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fiddleback community center

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Joe Duder, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Well 2018 isn’t ending so well for my family. Spent last night in the ER looking at the insides of mom’s arms while the surgeon tried to figure out how best to piece them back together. A couple hours earlier she was sitting on a friends living room couch after delivering her friend some homemade soup. The friend left the living room, let her big dog in the housevia the breezeway, and didn’t come back inside. This was a rescue dog that apparently had shown warning signs of aggression in the past year. The dog (lab/pit/??mut) ran into the living room growling showing teeth and attacked mom on the couch. Mom protected her face/neck, escaped through the front door and called my brother who later showed up to the scene; her sweatshirt/pants/shoes covered in blood and flesh. 3 county sheriffs police and an ambulance arrived soon after. PRAYING for minimal infection (potentially the most dangerous part of this event).

Dog owners — PLEASE personally introduce your pup to strangers (people the dog doesn’t know) and let them know they’re friends, especially those that come into your house. When I visited the shop a few weeks ago @VANCE left Andy’s tiny dog in the office....because he gets it. They need to be introduced properly.

Mom is the biggest dog lover on the planet. Every day she wears a rubber wrist band with dog prints on it. I’m Sittng here right now looking at her xmas tree that is covered in dog ornaments. There are even dog figurines climbing a ladder to get on the tree!! Shehas two small dogs. Hospital staff left the bracelet on her right arm during the surgery. The irony. The impact on us. I can’t imagine the additional horror, had my 2.5 year old been there with nana.

When I was in 1st grade, a neighbor dog tried to bite off my arm but settled for a chunk of my shoulder. It had bitten a neighbor girl in the face a week prior to that. It’s so important to address warning signs early.

I’m not trying to instigate arguments about how to handle/train dogs but I know this was preventable and hope this post somehow helps prevent a future dog attack.

Bmurray, blue333 and varga49 like this.
  2. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Oh My Lord. Sorry to hear of this unfortunate situation. Prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong and please keep us updated.

varga49 and jaz322 like this.
  3. Scotcha

Scotcha

Oct 25, 2013
    Very sorry to hear of this horrible incident. Prayers for your Mom, you and your family.

varga49, jaz322 and Choppaman like this.
  4. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Oh, no. I’m so sorry to hear about this. Keeping my fingers crossed that your mom will recover soon. Situations like this are so heartbreaking. You have given some sage advice in your post, and it’s always good for dog owners to be reminded of this from time to time.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now, J.

5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

6. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    How horrible @jaz322! I can't imagine going through that. I hope your mom recovers fully and quickly.

varga49, Choppaman and jaz322 like this.
  7. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hey @jaz322 ... uhhhhh Happy New Year :cool:

That's just awful. I hope her recovery goes well and I'll send out some prayers.

btw, that was a nice way to word a public service message also.

8. Luca917

Luca917 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Unbelievable! Hoping for good news, and a fast recovery. Terrible. Please update us.

jaz322 and varga49 like this.
  9. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I hope everything heals fast and the the New Year gets better from here.

jaz322 and varga49 like this.
  10. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Oh Man am I sorry to read this. A speedy recovery both physically and emotionally for your Mom. Blessings to you all.

jaz322 likes this.
  11. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Mom had her stitches removed and there is no sign of infection --- thanks to the ER for initially spending a considerable amount of time irrigating the wounds, which looked to be the most painful part of the process. The doctor's office sent her back to the ER to have the stitches removed since they were so thick (like 70lb braided fishing line) and deep. Plus the ER gave her better anesthesia to deal with it. Wounds are still a horrible black-ish mess that require daily cleansing and wrap.

Authorities attempted to remove the dog from the house but had to sedate it. After 10-11 days of observation, the vet concluded it would likely attack again. The dog has been euthanized.

12. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    So good to hear your mom is healing. We will continue to keep her in our thoughts.
    Probably the best thing about the dog.

jaz322 likes this.
  13. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Wow, so sorry to hear your mom was hurt Jason. I hope she does okay in all this. We'll keep her in our prayers.

jaz322 likes this.
  14. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Well...fingers crossed. Tomorrow is a day I have been waiting on for 27 months. With any luck, tomorrow afternoon I will no longer be legally attached to the woman I married almost 14 years ago, and will finally be able to get on with my life, hopefully moving in much more positive direction than what has been happening for the last 8 years.

Bmurray, NoRest, jaz322 and 5 others like this.
  15. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Best of luck.....hoping you can find some resolution and peace when all the dust settles. :)

B Griffin, jaz322, varga49 and 2 others like this.
  16. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    On a lighter note.... A fellow once said to Willie Nelson, “Willie, why’s divorce so expensive?”...Willie, being himself, and without missing a beat replied “ cuz it’s worth it” .
    Anyway Good Luck on this one Brother!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you. It is an uncontested and agreed to divorce. I've had primary residential "custody" of our daughter since Lisa finally agreed to the divorce I had first asked for back in the autumn 2015 when I couldn't take living with her anymore. But Alayna has always spent a lot more time hanging out with me than anyone else since she was four years old. Lisa and I get along fine, now that we don't live together and I've quit having any expectations of her ever helping us get anywhere in life. We are still on friendly terms and all and haven't had an argument since we separated 27 months ago, we just clearly want different things from life. We have lived the parenting plan we've submitted to the court for the last two years, our daughter is doing fine, and our lives are much more peaceful thank god. There was a slight snag at court today, as we had put some of our facts, figures, and info in the wrong spaces on some of the paperwork as we filled it out together, so I had to come home and re-write the permanent parenting plan today, and I have to re-file it tomorrow after we get it notarized and request a new court date. BUT the judge says he knows what happened and why, and is okay with granting the divorce once the paperwork has been corrected, so there was definitely progress made today.

Thank you Douglas! And yes, he's so right. The peace is certainly worth the expenses.

18. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    There is no life without death. I think no one knows this better than you. Been divorced 2X, it is a hard path but an opportunity for a new start. Smoke up.

Bill

B Griffin likes this.
  19. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you Bill! Yes, this is my second go at all this too man, I don't think there will be a third time of me signing those papers lol. At least not until I'm old enough that I have a reasonable hope of dying before I have to go through this crap again :)

KP likes this.
  20. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    My big boy MAXIMUS went on his final walk today. He turned 9 back in January but for the past 6months has been slowly consumed by the effects of degenerative myelopathy . DM is a progressive disease that has no cure and ultimately leads to all limbs being paralyzed.

It started as something that i didnt even recognize until one night I "paused" the tv before taking him outside. Kylie could hear his back left paw dragging on the carpet. Since then it had progressed to him essentially having no control or use of the back left leg and the other side was weakening as well. I would literally have to pick him up and reset his back legs underneath him 5 to 10x every time we went outside to "potty".

Something hit me the other night. He had fallen down in the backyard and looked up at me and let out a "sigh" as if he was trying to tell me he was tired of "getting back up"
    This morning Kylie & I had to make the decision that all pet owners dread the most. We were both there until the very end.It F'n sucks

From the beginning to the end he was the best dog I could have ever asked for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I miss you more than you know big boy Maxi

Choppaman, Nbrackett and KP like this.