Fiddleback Family Trio

Probably my most used combo. Not sure if they meet the true criteria of a Nessmuk Trio, but they work for me and can handle most things. GB Hatchet with an OS Ladyfinger and Babyboot. The Babyboot is often in my pocket as an EDC, taking the place of a folder for regular small tasks.

Second combo is what I’ve used more recently in the woods. Same hatchet (or sometimes a small forest axe), Production Kephart, and Lil Lady. The Pro-Kep shines for basic Bushcraft stuff, and the Lil Lady is ergonomically perfect for me to handle the finer tasks like shaving fatwood, cutting food, etc.

Admittedly, I have only used machetes when clearing brush and palmettos from my hunting trails. But swinging a hatchet is not my strongest skill either, except for splitting firewood. So this is a chance for me to really think about what I’d be able to effectively carry and use. Looking forward to seeing other folks’ ideas. Cool thread, Nbrackett Nbrackett !

Eta: recently, I’ve also used the C Cohutta Toccoa, which is also very nice for the utility purposes mentioned above! Didn’t mean to leave you out, Russell!

Last edited:
Probably my most used combo. Not sure if they meet the true criteria of a Nessmuk Trio, but they work for me and can handle most things. GB Hatchet with an OS Ladyfinger and Babyboot. The Babyboot is often in my pocket as an EDC, taking the place of a folder for regular small tasks.

Second combo is what I’ve used more recently in the woods. Same hatchet (or sometimes a small forest axe), Production Kephart, and Lil Lady. The Pro-Kep shines for basic Bushcraft stuff, and the Lil Lady is ergonomically perfect for me to handle the finer tasks like shaving fatwood, cutting food, etc.

Admittedly, I have only used machetes when clearing brush and palmettos from my hunting trails. But swinging a hatchet is not my strongest skill either, except for splitting firewood. So this is a chance for me to really think about what I’d be able to effectively carry and use. Looking forward to seeing other folks’ ideas. Cool thread, Nbrackett Nbrackett !

Eta: recently, I’ve also used the C Cohutta Toccoa, which is also very nice for the utility purposes mentioned above! Didn’t mean to leave you out, Russell!
Those both look like great trios to me!

GWS's idea
2v2JrfokyxurAoi.jpg

Andy's idea
2v2JrfomjxurAoi.jpg

My idea
2v2Jrf9NrxurAoi.jpg

In the sprit of Andy’s Trio Giveway I thought we could post what we currently have that would fill this role and compare/discuss each other’s selection. I’m having a hard time coming up with something these three couldn’t do. Fiddleback Fiddleback 12” Machete, @allen456 Arowana and C Cohutta Baby Bearpen.

View attachment 988275
The Arowana looks huge to me! I’m curious about the usefulness of it, specifically what kind of tasks you normally use it for. Although from the picture it seems like almost too much blade for me, it definitely bridges the gap between the small utility and large machete. Wondering what your opinions/thoughts are on it, since it’s not a commonly discussed model. :)

The Arowana looks huge to me! I’m curious about the usefulness of it, specifically what kind of tasks you normally use it for. Although from the picture it seems like almost too much blade for me, it definitely bridges the gap between the small utility and large machete. Wondering what your opinions/thoughts are on it, since it’s not a commonly discussed model. :)
here is one of the blanks w/ a KEB & Trailmaster for scale
2v2JrYpsFxurAoi.jpg

edit to add to a useful link
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/loving-my-arowana.1372770/

I'm gonna have to go with VANCE VANCE 's concept here.

For the small knife: ED Karda. It's blade is sized just right for a lot of common cutting tasks, bushcraft whittling and any intricate work.

For the medium/large knife: Woodsman. When the job calls for something bigger than the EDK, the Woodsman can definitely handle it. Runner up: Bushcrafter Sr.

For the third tool... hatchet or saw? A discussion on the merits of these recently came up on the Hill People Gear FB page. Several very experienced backcountrymen preferred carrying a folding saw. I have to believe that if good ole George was present with today's manufacturing and materials technology, he just might be inclined to carry a Laplander folding saw himself. With it, you can get very precise and clean cuts that might be needed for building things. I also believe the saw will allow you to accomplish many tasks quicker while expending less energy than a hatchet.

So, I think I'd have to go with a folding hand saw as my third tool. Because there are some things a hatchet will do better than a saw, though, I'd throw one in a for a fourth tool. Would that be cheating?

30051953437_c2666935ea_h.jpg

There are so many variables that would direct my individual choices for a kit it really seems like there are endless "right choices". My mind quickly started bouncing all over the place to take in account such things as geographic location, season, duration, no camp keep moving / overnight only, multiple camps / like a northern trapper, one camp / homestead, and on and on. I would want a medium ax such as a GB small forest ax 19" added to the picture below then I could build all sorts of things.

Last edited:
That sounds like a pretty good idea to me! Thinking outside the box. It was just something I’ve never seen or heard mentioned as piece of kit, so I was curious :thumbsup:

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me! Thinking outside the box. It was just something I’ve never seen or heard mentioned as piece of kit, so I was curious :thumbsup:

This was the general idea and a little easier to file by hand than my nail punch but will have to do for now until I can find a way to grind the punch on a machine. The next size up T handle was just too big so I found something to file that worked with the one I had for a sweet 4 sided awl. Drills a pretty nice hole but now need a small leather project to test.

75A1EF21-4D0E-4028-9E7A-EF2962478853.JPG

Back