Fiddleback Forge Intro Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Hello Knife lovers, welcome aboard. I'm Andy Roy, and I started Fiddleback Forge Knives in my garage in 2007. I had been bitten by the knifemaking bug after making a few simple knives from files and old hickory knives I'd cut up. At the time I was an engineer working in an antenna design company. Knives are so much more interesting to me than electronics and before long, I had followed my passion into a business. I started out part time, and then on May 1 2009 (layoff) became a full time maker. I started out making 6 a week in my basement (we had moved). I don't know if it was myself, or my wife who was more surprised when a few months in, we were still making ends meet. Knives turned out to be the right direction for me, and Fiddleback Forge, with your help and support is growing. We now make our knives in a separate facility from my home, churning out over 30 knives per week and have two employees and an apprentice helping us to finish the work.

Handles and grinds are the focus of my knives. I am a toolmaker, and strive to make a real cutting tool that is comfortable to use. The grind I like to put on knives (I still do all the bevel grinding) is the convex grind. I fell in love with convexed knives from the Himilayan Imports khukuri. I like the strength of the convex knife, and I find them the easiest to maintain. This is especially true in the field, certainly sandpaper is easier to carry, and less likely to break. The other aspect of my knives that make them special is the handle. I shape each handle with grinders and files, and try to make each handle comfortable to use, and naturally indexed in the hand. I always liked carving walking sticks, back in the Boy Scouts, and I think the shaping still appeals to me on that level. I think for a long time, the comfortable handles sold the knives, while I worked out exactly how to make the convex grind look as good as some of the other grinds. As a knifemaker, I strive to make the handles more comfortable, and the grinds cleaner with every batch.

I sell my knives two ways. I work with four dealers who are excellent folks that I am very happy to work with. Those are Knives Ship Free ( www.knivesshipfree.com ), Arizona Custom Knives ( www.arizonacustomknives.com ), The Knife Connection ( www.theknifeconnection.com ), and USA Made Blade ( www.usamadeblade.com ). Please help us out, by checking out their sites, and supporting them as well. I also sell directly right here on Bladeforums at weekly Fiddleback Friday event. For those who do not know, each week I put a selection of the knives that week up for sale in a thread titled Fiddleback Friday. Its first come first serve, and common forum 'law of the sharks' applies. This event has been a success, and we at Fiddleback Forge thank everyone who paticipates.

There are a few important threads pinned to the top portion of the Fiddleback Forge forum at Bladeforums dot com.

1. The user pic thread is for folks to be able to post and browse pics of my knives.

Also, feel free to look at pics till you can't stand it anymore at: http://public.fotki.com/FiddlebackForge/

2. The warranty thread is for folks to post warranty issues. I will respond in the thread there. It explains the warranty, and a bit about the warranty history at Fiddleback Forge knives.

3. The introduction to Fiddleback Forge thread, ie, this one.

4. The Fiddleback Flea Market, which helps folks who are gold or better members at Bladeforums to sell their used Fiddlebacks.

There are a small family of knifemakers that I have worked with, and have learned to make knives with me and at my shop. I'd like for you to check them out as well. First I'd like to mention Dylan Fletcher, of Fletcher Knives who makes his knives out of our shared shop. Also, check out Dan Eastland of Dogwood knives. They both have forums here at Bladeforums where you can find their work. Two newcomers came around this year that are both so talented its hard to stand. Those are Damon Lusky of AK Knives (technically, Dylan's apprentice) and Adam Andreasen of Valkyrie Knives. These two guys both walked up to a grinder, and pulled a perfect convex sabergrind first try. This year we also added Judy Yoon of 40 Point and Allen Surls of WAS Knives to the shop family. I am very proud to have been able to teach a bit of knifemaking to this family of guys, and I can tell you that I have learned as much from each of them as they have learned from me.

Thank you for supporting Fiddleback Forge Knives. We are excited and humbled to be able to make knives for you, and hope you enjoy USING our tools!! Function comes first here, but we strive to make a knife pretty enough to show off.

Warranty- I back my knives with a satisfaction guarantee. When you get the knife it should make you happy. If it doesn't, return it in unused condition within the first month you own it. I'll refund your purchase price, plus shipping (domestic) back home to me when I receive the knife in unused condition. I guarantee my work to be free from mechanical defects under normal usage, and will repair or replace such a knife/problem as necessary as long as I remain able to make knives. Natural handle materials such as stag, bone, wood, pearl and ivory may shrink, crack, and/or discolor with change in temperature, or humidity or age. As this is normal, expected, and can normally be avoided with maintenance these issues would not be covered under this warranty.

Machete Warranty - Machete's are guaranteed for satisfactiion on arrival same as my knives. I also guarantee that the blade won't break, and the handle won't pop off. Either of those two happen, and you get a new machete. However, edge damage is common to machete's, and to be expected from machetes, and is therefore not covered under my warranty. File it out like any other machete and go on having fun cutting.

Stupidity - I don't cover stupidity. Ask yourself why your knife failed. If you're batonning a skinner, then you have fallen into the stupidity catagory. They're designed to cut flesh. I can likely fix your knife, and will do it as cost effective as possible, but you are not getting a free knife. Skinners, kitchen knives, Nessmuks etc are designed, and intended to be used for their specific intended function. Get an outdoor knife with a thicker edge if you are going to be batonning it through knotty wood. I believe this is common sense, but it had to be said.

Dealer website links:

www.knivesshipfree.com
www.usamadeblade.com
www.bladecousa.com
www.the-knife-connection.com

Pricing (these are base prices without sheaths):

• Very Small Knives: Runt, Karda and BLJ, etc.....- $220
• ~3” Bladed Knives: Bushboot, EDC, EDCII, HikingBuddy, Bushcraft Karda, EDKarda, Woodpecker, Carver, F2, etc..... - $250
• 4” Bladed Knives: Bushcrafter, Terrassaur, Ladyfinger, Arete, Recluse Bushie, Snubnose, Bushfinger, Bushpik, KPH, Nessmuks, Sneaky Pete, etc.... - $275
• Woodchuck, Hunter, Bourbon Street Skinner, Protagonist - $325
• Forager - $350

• Fiddleback Fighter, Woodsman, Duke - $380
• Camp Knife - $490
• Competition Cutter - $550
• BLC - $$$$

Commonly used up-charges include:

• $60 for stainless steels
• $50+ for using Ironwood
• $35-100 for stabalized woods
• $40 for expensive g-10's and micartas
• $40 for custom phenolics
• $50 for hand rubbing
• $40 for Bolsters
• $60 for forged curly cue
• $40 for tapering a tang

Fiddleback Forge, Inc
5450 Technology Parkway
Suite 700
Braselton, Ga. 30517
470-239-4263

e-mails:

andy at fiddlebackforge dot com

fiddlebackforge at att dot net

paypal payments:

fiddlebackpayments at att dot net

Last edited by a moderator:
3 Inch and Smaller

The most useful knife is the one you have with you when you need it. Small knives are handy. A lightweight easy to carry knife is a tool that gets used often.

We carry several small lightweight models.

Bow Legged Joe:

This is a small knife that was designed on a post it note during a meeting. It is designed for small quick chores like opening packages.

Runt:

The Runt is another very small knife that was designed on a post it notepad. It has a 2.25” long blade and 3.25” long handle. Its one of those knives you hold in the palm of your hand and stare at. It is good at opening boxes and cutting string and quick light chores.

Karda:

The Karda is a historical knife design. It is the small accessory knife behind the khukuri in the sheath. This one has a 3.5” long handle and 3” long blade. It’s a small utility knife that will find uses for itself.

Bushcraft Karda:

Turns out, the blade shape of the Karda is so functional that we made one with a full sized bushcrafting handle. It worked. This knife is an excellent utility cutter.

EDKarda:

The EDKarda is an every day carry style karda bladed knife. Its handle is a bit smaller than the Bushcraft Karda making it easier to carry, and it still has that super useful Karda blade.

EDC and EDCII:

The EDC was designed to be easy to carry in day to day settings. The leaf shaped blade very useful for everyday kind of utility chores. The EDCII has a different handle shape, and a bit of a guard for the fingers.

Hiking Buddy:

The Hiking Buddy is a small bushcrafting knife. Its purpose is to replace large folding knives with a more reliable small fixed blade knife. This is a useful no frills design that excels at many outdoor tasks. Its light weight and ease of carrying makes it very useful to the hiker.

Bushboot:

The Bushboot is a beautifull and highly useful small knife with a 3.5” blade and 4” handle. This is also the size of the Hiking Buddy, and they share a lot of the bushcrafting and utility functionality. This knife also has a sexy barfight kind of bootknife inspiration, and adds a little of the tactical utility to the small knife category.

Shank:

This one is for last instant self defense. Use this knife when the unsuspecting bad guy things he has you out for the count. Yep. It’s a throat cutter, a gutter fighter, a backstabber. Use with caution.

Last edited:
4 Inch Blades

A 4” bladed knife will serve a person for most tasks. We make many outdoor knife models in this size category. When choosing between these, look at the shape of the blade, and handle. It is highly a decision of personal preference. Do you like drop points or spear points? Which handle shape is more pleasing to you?

Arete:

The Arête is a spearoint bushcrafting knife designed by Talfuchre during a contest at Blade Forums. This knife is one of the many Fiddleback Forge knives in this category that have 4” blades and 4.5” handles.

The design thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682848

My thread showcasing #1:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723387

Tal's review:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725980

March100_1786-vi.jpg

March100_1787-vi.jpg

March100_1788-vi.jpg

March100_1789-vi.jpg

March100_1790-vi.jpg

Bushcrafter:

The Bushcrafter is intended as a non threatening Boy Scout friendly kind of drop point fixed blade knife. It has a stout point for drilling and is a great knife for just about any outdoor task. This knife is one of the many Fiddleback Forge knives in this category that have 4” blades and 4.5” handles.

Bushfinger:

This is our signature knife and best seller. It has a drop point blade but the tip is much pointier than the Bushcrafter. Both knives are great outdoor and bushcrafting knives, butt the Bushfinger has a bit more sex appeal. Bolstered scales look particularly good on this one. This knife is one of the many Fiddleback Forge knives in this category that have 4” blades and 4.5” handles.

Ladyfinger:

The Ladyfinger is a slimmer profile bushcrafting or fishing knife. This was the original Fiddleback bird and trout knife. It is very useful around the camp kitchen, is great for game prep, and is still quite good for bushcrafting. This knife, the Hunter and the Woodsman were designed together early in our line, and have influenced Fiddleback Forge knives heavily. The Bushfinger was designed from this knife. This knife also has a 4” blade and 4.5” handle.

KPH:

The Kismet’s Practical Hunter is a game processing knife/skinner. It was designed by Kismet, from Bladeforums, and the first ones were made by Sarge. Himilayan Imports also makes the knife. These men and HI have both heavily influenced our knives. Kis asked Andy to make the knife, and we are honored to make each one. The belly on this knife makes it an ideal skinner. The finished product has a look that is distinctive and very handsome. Thank you Kismet. Blade, 4”, handle, 4.5”

The Nessmuk:

George Washington Sears knife had a thin blade with a ‘broken old buffalo skinner’ profile. He used it as a third of a trio of cutting tools including a folder and a small hatchet. The knife excels at skinning, and kitchen work. The hump of the back is also good as a spoon for your potatoes. It’s a piece of Americanna, and it is the first knives Andy made and sold. It was also the Fiddleback knife that was carried in the AG Russell catalog. This new re-design is extra sexy with all the rustic function. Again, 4” blade and 4.5” handle.

Recluse:

The Recluse is a bushcrafting utility knife. It was designed by Fiddleback Forge for a special run coordinated by Knives Ship Free Dot Com and made at Bark River Knife and Tool. It is one of the 4” blade and 4.5” handle crowd. Though the BRKT run is finished, we still make this useful knife.

Terassaur:

The Terassaur is designed by Joe Flowers. Its got a 4.25” long blade and 4.5” long handle. It is a slightly drop point knife with plenty of belly. Joe is one of those guys that uses the hell out of knives. We’re glad to make this one. This knife is a no frills bushcrafter, a hard working tool.

KE Bushie:

The KE Bushie was designed by Kevin Estella. It is a spearpoint bushcrafting knife with a 3.9” blade length. The 4.5” handle with belly and a beak all work together with the blade profile to make the neatest little bushcrafting knife you can imagine. It’s a hard working knife that looks good on the belt.

Sneaky Pete:

The Sneaky Pete was designed as a dagger. We made one up with a high convex bushcrafting kind of grind it really clicked. This is a spearpoint blade with a beautiful handle that feels like a handshake. The lengths, as you know are 4” blade and 4.5” handle. This knife was featured on Equip to Endure. The design is a good tactical fighter as well.

Bourbon Street Skinner

This knife wasn’t designed to skin deer in the woods. This is a barfighter. Its scrappy. Its got a 4.5” blade and a 4.5” handle. I’d hate to face it.

Woodchuck:

The Woodchuck features a 4.5” blade and 4.5” handle with an elliptical cutting edge and sheepsfoot style blade point. We make this knife with a guard and guardless. Its good in the kitchen, and the sheepsfoot blade shape makes it great for other utility type jobs.

Hunter:

The Hunter is an excellent outdoors knife. It is big enough to do some shelterbuilding and light chopping, and has a lot of belly for game prep work. It’s a big handful with a 4.75” long handle and wide 4.5” blade.

Camp Nessmuk:

This knife has a Nessmuk resembling profile with a bit different function in mind. It is for camp duty, light chopping, and shelterbuilding, etc. It would replace the small hatchet in a Nessmuk trio. It has a 4.5” long blade and 4.75” long handle.

Last edited:
5+ Inch Blades

These are larger sized belt knives.

Choppers

These knives are big. They are made for camp duty, making small shelters, etc. The Competition Cutter is designed to Bladesport specs. The Bow legged Chopper is a rare one. It is a monster knife. The Camp Knife is a manageable camp sized knife that is at home around the campfire. We also make a line of machetes. The blades are made by Imacassa Tool company to a Fiddleback Forge design. Imacassa is the company to go to for machetes. We put the handle on and shape it right here in Cumming.

Camp Knife:

The Camp Knife is the perfect camping companion. It has a beefy 7” long blade and a 5.5” long handle. This handle design is taken from the khukuri, so that you can hold it in two positions, and increase or decrease the amount of snap you use when chopping. Shelter building and camp fire processing are typical chores this is designed to handle.

Competition Cutter:

This knife is designed to Bladesport specs. The overall length of the knife is 15” and the handle is 5.5” long. This is a big ole knife. Its comfortable to swing, and the handle allows you to hold the knife in 2 positions, much like a khukuri.

Machette

These are real machetes made from 1075 steel with proper and traditional machete heat treat. We designed the handle to give some protection for your fingers that just isn’t present in machetes. This allows us to bring the edge all the way down the blade, so that the knife can do bushcrafting chores such as notching with ease. In addition, the khukuri style bulge in the handle allows for chopping with the hand in two positions using varying amount of wrist snap. We currently make them in 12” and 14” blade lengths. The 12” model has a 3mm thick blade that is tapered from edge to butt, while the 14”er is made from 2.2mm thick steel.

Bow Legged Chopper:

The Bow Legged Chopper is a monster of a knife that was designed to inspire shock and awe. It is a rare one, so grab it if you get a chance secondhand. Only a few were ever made and we currently don’t have them scheduled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back