Fiddleback Forge Kephart Mid Tech in S35VN Full Review and Testing

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
I was given the chance to test and review the Fiddleback Forge Kephart Mid Tech.

This will be my full testing and review, testing on rope, cardboard, wood, zip ties and power cord. Also will have some basic field type uses on wood.

Knife Specs:

Blade Length: 3.75*Inches
Handle Length: 4.85*Inches
Blade Metal:*1/8'' Crucible CPM S35VN Stainless Steel
Handle Material:*Black Canvas Micarta*or Natural Canvas Micarta
Tang:*Full Exposed
Grind:*Flat

1st off we have the beauty shots out of the box.

DSC_5771.JPG

DSC_5772.JPG

DSC_5742.JPG

DSC_57431.JPG

DSC_5730.JPG

DSC_5737.JPG

DSC_5735.JPG

DSC_5768.JPG

DSC_57741.JPG

DSC_57751.JPG

DSC_57792.JPG

Last edited:
Now that the beauty shots are out of the way we can get down to performance. I reprofiled it to 15 DPS on the Edge Pro and final edge finish is 400 grit.

1st up is the rope cutting, the Kephart made 560 cuts on 5/8" Manila rope before reaching 20 LBS of downforce as per my standard testing. It would still slice phone book paper after testing.

DSC_57812.JPG

DSC_5780.JPG

After the rope cutting I resharpened it before the cardboard stage.

DSC_5782.JPG

Next up was the Cardboard:

The Kephart cut 3,800 linear ft of cardboard before I stopped, it would still slice phone book paper after this stage.

DSC_5788.JPG

DSC_5790.JPG

DSC_5789.JPG

Next up was my standard wood cutting to test edge strength, would still slice phone book paper after the wood.

DSC_5792.JPG

DSC_5793.JPG

DSC_5795.JPG

Then we have the power cord, cut through easy and still phone book paper slicing sharp.

DSC_5797.JPG

Next was 175# zip ties, they are not easy to cut, the edge still phone book slicing sharp at this point.

DSC_57991.JPG

DSC_5800.JPG

DSC_5801.JPG

Last edited:
And now we have some basic field type use. :)

I stropped the edge to bring back the bite on my silicon carbide loaded strop, and as you can see it's hair shaving sharp. Took all of about 30 seconds to bring it back to this point.

DSC_58041.JPG

And some basic whittling and notching and light battening.

DSC_5810.JPG

DSC_5811.JPG

DSC_5812.JPG

DSC_5813.JPG

DSC_5814.JPG

DSC_5817.JPG

DSC_5816.JPG

DSC_5818.JPG

DSC_5819.JPG

DSC_58201.JPG

DSC_58222.JPG

DSC_5823.JPG

Conclusions:

Excellent knife overall, the edge retention and strength of the CPM S35VN really pays of here. The HT is very good and I noticed no chipping or damage at all. The knife is very comfortable in use for me, no hot spots noticed even in extended cutting. The quality is superb, truly a mid tech here and the sheath is 1st rate, love leather sheaths.

The geometry is pretty thin at .010" out of the box and .015" after I reprofiled it to 15 DPS. With that thin geometry and great blade shape it makes for an excellent cutter.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Any plans for a kitchen review? I used mine to slice peppers, onions, and tomatoes for an omelet and the knife did very well.

Good stuff. Any plans for a kitchen review? I used mine to slice peppers, onions, and tomatoes for an omelet and the knife did very well.

I planned on doing some kitchen stuff when I have a good amount to do. :)

Nice review and pictures! Thank you!

best

mqqn

Nice review Jim! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes this knife. I think it is a great all around design and a lot of bang for the buck for a good quality field / bushcraft knife. I haven't reprofiled mine yet, but I will soon. I am glad to see the edge does well at that degree of angle. I think they did a very good job on the heat treat.

Great review of a great knife. The custom shop version is awesome as well.
627f74532e6c06caf99ff540bdf7f1b7.jpg

2511849aff9462fe63ceaf8a764f8feb.jpg

Great review! Thanks for putting it through all those tests and sharing the results with us. I have one and I love it.

Nice review Jim! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes this knife. I think it is a great all around design and a lot of bang for the buck for a good quality field / bushcraft knife. I haven't reprofiled mine yet, but I will soon. I am glad to see the edge does well at that degree of angle. I think they did a very good job on the heat treat.

Thanks Brian. :)

I agree, I think it's a great value for the money. :thumbup:

Good review. The pro-kep is my favorite knife made. Just a perfect blade.

Yeah, I have seen a few nice custom shop versions of the mid-tech Kephart pop up in Andy's sale threads. One day the right one will pop up at the right time and I'll snag one.

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

Brian,

I think it's nice they are giving people the options when available. :thumbup:

Jim

Brian,

I think it's nice they are giving people the options when available. :thumbup:

Jim

Me too. I'm still trying to talk him into a custom shop version with his bullseye lanyard tube...but he wants to keep a distinct differentiation to the two lines of knives. I don't blame him, I just like the bullseye :)

Me too. I'm still trying to talk him into a custom shop version with his bullseye lanyard tube...but he wants to keep a distinct differentiation to the two lines of knives. I don't blame him, I just like the bullseye :)

That's smart I think. :)

Putting the custom handles on the Mid Techs is a nice touch though. :thumbup:

Nice one Jim, a different layout for your review, looks sweet, great looking photos.
G2

Back