Fiddleback Forge Kephart Mid Tech in S35VN Full Review and Testing

Nice one Jim, a different layout for your review, looks sweet, great looking photos.
G2

It's a different kind of knife so I had to change things up some. :)

Was looking to expand them anyway, putting everything into one instead of spreading things out. :D

Man, great review. I can't thank you enough for working it hard like that. I'm glad you liked it too. Of course, CPM S35VN and Peters Heat treating, I wasn't worried about the edge. Glad you noticed that I make thin edges. I love cutting with a thin edge, believe in their integrity with some common sense usage, and can't abide by having to sharpen the thicker ones.

Man, great review. I can't thank you enough for working it hard like that. I'm glad you liked it too. Of course, CPM S35VN and Peters Heat treating, I wasn't worried about the edge. Glad you noticed that I make thin edges. I love cutting with a thin edge, believe in their integrity with some common sense usage, and can't abide by having to sharpen the thicker ones.

Thanks Andy,

I guess some have cinder blocks they have to baton or concrete to need those thicker edges, never could figure that one out. :confused:

Personally I believe thinner edges cut better, are easier to sharpen and maintain and as you said with common sense usage. :thumbup:

At around .010" behind the edge out of the box for a mid tech is excellent. :)

Jim

HAHA. I asked the double disk machinist to get me .003. He laughed and said the lowest he would go was .010. I think 3 mils would have been fine.

HAHA. I asked the double disk machinist to get me .003. He laughed and said the lowest he would go was .010. I think 3 mils would have been fine.

I bet he did. :D

For the Kephart and the intended use of the model I believe it turned out great. :thumbup:

You are right though, S35VN can be taken down and work well in the .005" range, but then you are talking about another range of users, education is important.

Jim

Last edited:

If you ever mid-tech the Esquire in 3/32 at 3 mils I will forget I have it on me :)

Jim, I just got one of these yesterday, and as I agreed also with Brian's review, well done too Check Brian aka mistwalker's review via this link, I sharpened mine up, but as I don't have a means of gaging the dps on the edge bevels I think it's a little more than yours, judging from how wide the edge bevel is on yours.

The width of my edge bevels measure about .040" wide on both sides and the thickness at the top of the edge bevel comes in at about .020" thick making it a pretty good slicer.
I did take the stones up to 8k shapton and then stropped the edge, ending with a very keen edge but I'm sure not as biting an edge as you got with the 400 grit ones, I'll have to experiment some more with that level.

Question on your test, you sharpened prior to some events, was that just to set the benchmark for the test so each type of test began with a fresh edge and not be skewed from the previous testing? Just wondered how it would fair moving through all the test without any touch ups, where along the trail it might begin to show some need for touch up.

G2

Checking on line math wise I guess it's about 15 dps

Last edited:
Jim, I just got one of these yesterday, and as I agreed also with Brian's review, well done too Check Brian aka mistwalker's review via this link, I sharpened mine up, but as I don't have a means of gaging the dps on the edge bevels I think it's a little more than yours, judging from how wide the edge bevel is on yours.

The width of my edge bevels measure about .040" wide on both sides and the thickness at the top of the edge bevel comes in at about .020" thick making it a pretty good slicer.
I did take the stones up to 8k shapton and then stropped the edge, ending with a very keen edge but I'm sure not as biting an edge as you got with the 400 grit ones, I'll have to experiment some more with that level.

Question on your test, you sharpened prior to some events, was that just to set the benchmark for the test so each type of test began with a fresh edge and not be skewed from the previous testing? Just wondered how it would fair moving through all the test without any touch ups, where along the trail it might begin to show some need for touch up.

G2

Checking on line math wise I guess it's about 15 dps

It's just the method that I use, I separate the rope from the cardboard and the rest of the testing.

In the testing of this knife I added the field type work after the standard testing that I normally do. So I stropped the edge to show how easy it is to bring it back to hair shaving sharpness and than use the knife to do some basic tasks.

As far as the other question you had.... No, there are not many would do as much work out in the field with their knives that would compare to the amount of cutting I did on the cardboard etc.

Sharpening is extremely important, getting a burr free apex, combine that with the edge finish that I use and one has an edge that will last a very long time.

CPM S35VN is an excellent steel and a good choice for this type of knife.

Last edited:
A good review but these knives have No belly. A downfall which is in vogue today. DM

A good review but these knives have No belly. A downfall which is in vogue today. DM

Depends on the model. The Bushfinger has more belly than the Kephart, and the Duke has more belly than the Bushfinger. I find belly on a "buschraft", fishing, or small game knife of very little if any use, and often a detriment to those types of uses. To me belly on a belt knife only serves a use for skinning out and processing larger game, which is something I don't do a lot of these days. One reason I prefer the Kephart over the other models. I think they will do the Recluse at some point which has a straight spine and a good bit of belly, and works well for skinning. I wouldn't say it is exactly in vogue though. There are plenty of knives on the market that do have belly. It's one reason I have never been drawn to the GSO knives. They all have a lot more belly than I want on a knife. Different strokes for different folks...

I'm with Brian on this, I prefer a blade with a lower point, almost a modified wharncliffish type, I find it a more useful design.

Mine right now is winging it's way to the Great State of Texas to Hale Storm aka Ronnie to get fitted up with a taco kydex rig.

Kephart by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

updated photo link, you can view full size on Flickr now :)

Last edited:
There is enough room on this Forum to disagree. Unless it has a decent belly to allow for other uses and eye appeal I won't pull out my wallet. These broad-head shaped knives do nothing for me. To carry one is akin to bird hunting with an ugly dog. They do have excellant shaped handles. DM

Well you all know how I feel about it because you read it. :D

I normally also lean towards blades with points more on centerline for general use, but also have other types of blades for other more specific uses.

The Kephart works extremely well due to the design. :thumbup:

There is enough room on this Forum to disagree.

Absolutely there is, it would be a boring Blade Show if we all liked the same thing :) It's just that for my uses carrying a deep bellied knife is akin to trying to dig a splinter out with a spoon :D As I said earlier Different strokes for different folks, and why we have such a diverse market to choose from :thumbup:

I agree about the blade shape needed to dig out a splinter. That requires a thin point. Even for that I'd find a clip point or a thin drop point with belly moved back. That's a specialize task. But for most of my cutting chores I prefer a different shape and like the way those work. DM

There is enough room on this Forum to disagree. Unless it has a decent belly to allow for other uses and eye appeal I won't pull out my wallet. These broad-head shaped knives do nothing for me. To carry one is akin to bird hunting with an ugly dog. They do have excellant shaped handles. DM

DM,

Is there a builder of the same quality, build and eye appeal that has knives with belly?

Dave

Well sure. Loveless built many, as well as Bob Dozier and D'Alton Holder. All made a living from that shape. DM

Back