Fiddleback Forge Mid-Tech Duke

Another thread to live vicariously though your exploits :) nicely done Brian, looks like a very solid blade right there.
G2

Another thread to live vicariously though your exploits :) nicely done Brian, looks like a very solid blade right there.
G2

Thank you Gary. The Duke is very solid, yet without excess or unnecessary mass. It performs admirably and handles very well.

Beautiful knife, and the design looks very well thought-out, as would be expected from Mr. Roy. A very nice choilless option for field use :thumbup: Thanks for putting the review together, this one may have to go on the short list.

Beautiful knife, and the design looks very well thought-out, as would be expected from Mr. Roy. A very nice choilless option for field use :thumbup: Thanks for putting the review together, this one may have to go on the short list.

I have grown to not care as much for choils as I once did. The size, weight, and balance of this knife negate any need for them for me anyway.

Welp, I was finally able to order my Fiddleback Forge Production Duke in black canvas, and it'll be here on Monday!
I never would have known about the Duke, or Fiddleback Forge for that matter, if not for this wonderful thread with pix started by mistwalker.
I am grateful for the shared knowledge and awesome images.

One of the features that really makes sense for me is the lanyard hole, which is carefully examined in both words and pix.
That said, it led me to the Production Kephart, which I chose over the Production Bushfinger due to the lanyard hole configuration, which mistwalker also covered extensively in another thread.
My thanks and kudos to mistwalker and Fiddleback Forge, I'm really looking forward to using both knives!

Outstanding review. Bookmarked it!

I have several Fiddlebacks. Wonderful knives, great fit and finish -- and I LOVE those handles.

My Fiddlebacks are in the Permanent Collection!

Welp, I was finally able to order my Fiddleback Forge Production Duke in black canvas, and it'll be here on Monday!
I never would have known about the Duke, or Fiddleback Forge for that matter, if not for this wonderful thread with pix started by mistwalker.
I am grateful for the shared knowledge and awesome images.

One of the features that really makes sense for me is the lanyard hole, which is carefully examined in both words and pix.
That said, it led me to the Production Kephart, which I chose over the Production Bushfinger due to the lanyard hole configuration, which mistwalker also covered extensively in another thread.
My thanks and kudos to mistwalker and Fiddleback Forge, I'm really looking forward to using both knives!

Thank you, I hope you enjoy them. I use the Kephart more due to the size and me liking pointy blades, but the Duke is awesome too.

Outstanding review. Bookmarked it!

I have several Fiddlebacks. Wonderful knives, great fit and finish -- and I LOVE those handles.

My Fiddlebacks are in the Permanent Collection!

Thank you sir, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy the Fiddleback knives very much. I have a few I intend to never part with.

Awesome review thanks mistwalker.
Your reviews are always indepth and intriguing!

Can i ask if you see any performance difference between spartan's s35vn and this? And if so, which do you prefer (if any)?
Cheers

Awesome review thanks mistwalker.
Your reviews are always indepth and intriguing!

Can i ask if you see any performance difference between spartan's s35vn and this? And if so, which do you prefer (if any)?
Cheers

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them. All things considered, with the Spartans being thicker steel with slightly more obtuse edges meant for rough use in a combat environment, I think the heat treats are of similar if not equal quality. But in all honesty, comparing the knives would be an apples to oranges comparison, they are designed for different roles and have a different geometry.

What an awesome review. Thanks for posting. A great help for a purchase decision.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the post.

How did I miss this one Brian, good job. I love the Duke I got from @Southern Gent. To me it is the "one" knife option. Very few 5"+ can fit that title. The 5/32" blade thickness, material and design really makes it shine. It's no secret that I think the production Fiddlebacks are the best knives on the market, and the Duke is no exception. When we finally move to Florida and get out for some island camping, you can rest assure the Duke will be on my belt.

Last edited:
You all should stop buying this knife because...I want them all. :) Excellent review! I have a Duke (and a Kephart), and for me the true value of a knife this size and geometry is best found in the kitchen. Sure, it's good in the woods, but most of the time I'm home and preparing food. The Duke slices and dices and chops just as well as any of my chef knives. It wipes clean, and comes back to hair popping sharp with a few strokes on my strop. If there is any knife that fits the "one knife does it all" category I would say the Duke comes closest for me.

Awesome looking blade. Thanks for the review.

Amazing review Brian! The pics are awesome, the blade is sweet and dam with those feathersticks! You've really to that down to a T!

Amazing review Brian! The pics are awesome, the blade is sweet and dam with those feathersticks! You've really to that down to a T!

Thank you sir! I am really sorry I missed this post man. June last year was the beginning of a LOT of major changes in my life, you've heard about them since then, and I wasn't on the forums much...it was hit and miss... Yeah, I get a lot of feather stick practice :)

I understand that the Duke is in 3V and S35VN and I wanted to know which would be best for Coastal Blade. If you were on Vancouver Island which steel would be better and could both do the job? I have a few 3V knives and they are robust but how will the S35VN do in light battoning, carving, and general bushcrafting? I don't want a steel that chips or rolls easily or dents either. I like the cost of the S35VN over the 3V. Do you think S35VN is better than CPM 20V?

The duke isn’t offered in 3V. But even if it was I would suggest going with the S35VN. It is a great all around steel with strong corrosion resistance properties. It is easier to sharpen than other super stainless steels. It also is more than tough enough for batoning and general bushcraft.

Really nice review! Thanks Brian / Mistwalker! This sounds like the blade I should be looking at instead of a Survive! or possibly an ESSE.

Back