Review Fiddleback Forge Old School Ladyfinger Appreciation

Lady1911

Platinum Member
I wanted to post up a quick review of the Old School Ladyfinger (OSL), since many of the previous threads about this beautiful knife contain photobucket images that are becoming more and more difficult to view. I thought that a fresh look might help anyone who is considering adding a Ladyfinger to their collection, or those who are wondering about the usability of it. It should be noted that the most identifiable distinction between Old School and New School models is the lack of a guard on the OS.

First of all....the specs:
OAL: 8.75”
Blade length: 4” (approximately)
Handle width: .77” - .80”
Blade thickness: 1/8” (.126”)
Blade steel: A2
Weight: 4.5oz

At first glance, the Ladyfinger (both Old And New School models) presents an attractive picture. It’s just a sleek, sexy knife with long, lean, gentle curves. The feel of this knife in my hand is unparalleled. This is where the Ladyfinger excels in comparison to other knives of this size. The handles have been designed to fit snugly in the palm, without feeling like I’m holding a broom handle. This slim design is very ergonomic and has a natural feel for a variety of hand sizes. It allows for good control of the blade in all positions.

Despite the slender handle, there is plenty of blade...the belly isn’t overly prominent, yet it makes an impression. In the Old School version, the combination of blade height plus no guard makes it ideal for preparing food. Smashing garlic, slicing tomatoes, or using the curve of the blade to rock it back and forth like a chef’s knife....all can be done easily with no fatigue or hot spots. I use my OSL mostly in the kitchen, where I’m usually chopping or slicing all sorts of veggies, meats, and fruits, but it would also be great for dressing small game, as well as fish.

It’s not limited to kitchen use, however! At a length of 4”, the blade is also well-suited to outdoor use. Although I haven’t batoned any wood with it, I have made kindling, feather sticks, and fatwood slivers with it. It’s done a little bit of everything - from cutting open burlap sacks, to slicing through rope, to de-barking and whittling pine and pecan wood - and it’s never left me wanting. The 1/8” blade width is comfortable under the thumb, and the weight is balanced in such a way as to create leverage for more precise cuts. Shaved a few curls on a stick today just for fun and demonstration purposes.

Note the tiny little sliver on the edge.....:)

I’ve had no problem with the OSL retaining a sharp edge so far. I’ve given it a few passes on a strop, just to remove the patina from the edge, and I haven’t encountered any dulling of the blade or inconsistencies. Fiddleback Forge continues to produce a quality, handmade knife in the beautiful, highly-versatile Ladyfinger.

In conclusion, this is nowhere near a comprehensive review. It’s just intended to help out the average knife enthusiast and to present a basic, informed opinion about this fantastic knife. There are tons of happy OSL owners out there. Its popularity speaks for itself!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more, I love mine! Thank you for posting your thoughts on this awesome Fiddleback model!

Nice writeup and photos especially the knife just used pictures.:thumbsup: It looks like it would be great for food prep when camping or just that quick thing in the kitchen and you kind of reconfirmed it. I think the OS ladyfinger is also one of the best looking Fiddleback Forge knives if not the best. One day I will find one that calls to me that is on the short side (under 4" blade no matter how measured). Hopefully that is really soon.

Back