Fiddleback Forge Pro-Kephart

Bmurray

Gold Member
I'm always on the search or the best all around user knife. All of my knives are users to me but if I don't intend to use them then they eventually get offred up to all of you. I can say I've handled more knives than I can even remember in this quest for that one knife to take the top spot in my collection. For me I'd take the absolute ugliest knife over the most refined finished blade out there is it feels better in the hand. This is not to say I don't like beautiful custom knives, I just love a good user way more.

Look at it like the good solid pair of boots you have. There may be fancier ones out there but you prefer to wear your go-to pair that are comfortable and just feel right.

This search is ongoing for me, but a many knives came close but all have come up short trying to take that top spot. It wasn't until reading Mistwalkers review of this knife and seeng his pics, that got me inclined to want to try one out.

So I contacted Whitty at USA Made Blades and he offered to send me the Pro-Bushfinger and the Pro-Kepart to try out and see which one I liked. Well the pro-bushfinger was immediately boxed and returned to him. Not that it was a bad knife, just too thick of a blade and too thin at the handle or scales for me.

The top knife in my collection is still the Pro-Kephart. Very light and nimble with a full and slightly square grip profile that just locks in your hand. Superb textured machined scales by Nathan the Machinist are so well done for a user knife. The S35vn steel has held an edge very well and hasn't shown any signs of rusting. The centered tip drills like a machine and makes for fine delicate carving.

Having this one for almost two years now, there's really not one thing about this knife that I don't like, and thats a rarity for picky me. Price point is perfect as well for this quality and design. I HIGHLY recommend everyone of you have one of these in your bag or pack amd really try ot out for a few weeks to a month. Just don't be surprised when it becomes your go-to knife like mine has. I just need to order a spare now befo re they'e all gone.

Thanks for sharing. Been looking at one or the prod hiking buddy.

Nice knife.

I like the Kephart style.

But then FF makes super nice knives.

Have been looking at the excellent LT Wrights.

Link to Mistwalkers review (assuming its here on BF)?

Were you given this knife or how are to understand, that you were sent knives to try out?

As I dont know you, you might be a knife reviewer or have a close relationship with the manufacturer etc - either way ...

Not implying anything - just interested in how that works.

Nice knife.

I like the Kephart style.

But then FF makes super nice knives.

Have been looking at the excellent LT Wrights.

Link to Mistwalkers review (assuming its here on BF)?

Were you given this knife or how are to understand, that you were sent knives to try out?

As I dont know you, you might be a knife reviewer or have a close relationship with the manufacturer etc - either way ...

Not implying anything - just interested in how that works.

Bmurray is a friend of our shop and one heck of a knife nut. He was not sure which one he wanted so we sent him both to look at and he kept the Kephart and paid for it. Obviously he really liked it. No outside influence on this post but we appreciate the plug. Fiddleback Forge makes some amazing knives. Check them out!

Bmurray is a friend of our shop and one heck of a knife nut. He was not sure which one he wanted so we sent him both to look at and he kept the Kephart and paid for it. Obviously he really liked it. No outside influence on this post but we appreciate the plug. Fiddleback Forge makes some amazing knives. Check them out!

Thx for response.

I KNOOOW, they are amazing!

Now I want to be a friend of the shop and be a FF knife tester!

How does one get such a job - Im immensely qualified; Ive been nicking my fingers with knives for decades!?

BTVnHkI.jpg

Kephart knife:
colclesser-Kephart-hero-2-600x401.jpeg

Pro Kephart...

OckMWcI.jpg

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure it's a great knife. It looks beautifully well made, great all-around utility blade shape, handle looks comfortable, etc... were it called anything else I'd have no reason to reply to this thread other than to thank you for your review of it because now it's on my radar as a future purchase.

That said, I struggle to see how it's a Kephart? The blade shape is different, the grind is different, the handle shape is different... I mean... I guess apart from that, the general dimensions are roughly the same, but that seems to be where the similarity stops.

I guess the marketing department won that fight in the back room! "Hey guys, dont call it Bushcraft. That's like totally 3 years ago. These days call it a Nessmuk or a Kephart. People will buy them!"

Someday I’ll track one of these down with custom scales. Great knife and thanks for the review.

I also don't see calling that knife a Kephart. But I like the knife. I want a really "good" Kephart design, but I haven't settled on things as of yet.

I also don't see calling that knife a Kephart. But I like the knife. I want a really "good" Kephart design, but I haven't settled on things as of yet.

I've decided to call my new one, my modern version of a Horace Kephart knife.
Mine is also 3V, and that isn't carbon steel last time I checked. Mine has Micarta, not wood. Mine has a FFG. What did Horace's have? Mine has a 90 degree spine. Mine is a tad pointy like the BR.
Like I said, my version.

Last edited:
I like your Kephart with modern steels!
I could of had 1095 and I thought long and hard for a few days. I had to sleep on it. While I really wanted to be a purest, to me (3V) is like having power steering and brakes on a 69 Z28.

Bmurray Bmurray that's a dang good looking knife you have there and I'm sure as heck, she'll serve you well. Like mine, she's Kephartish. :)

Back