Fiddleback Friday - 09/09/16

Hello DeltaPapa

TT = Tapered Tang

SFT = Skeletonized Full Tang

A tapered tang starts at one thickness and tapered down towards the pommel to thinner stock. On a SFT the knife remains the same thickness the entire length of the knife

SFT

IMG_8953-vi.jpg

TT
IMG_8951-vi.jpg

If this is still available, I'll take it.
2016 0909 06 Hiking Buddy w/ giraffe bone overblack liners and orange pinstripes. TT convex on spalted 1/8" A2- $350

Phillip,

Do I understand correctly that both are done to reduce handle weight and shift balance, and the SFT has holes drilled in the handle handle portion of the tang? Does each achieve the same weight reduction and comparable balance shift such that the choice is primarily aesthetic, or is there a performance difference between the two?

Thanks!

Phillip,

Do I understand correctly that both are done to reduce handle weight and shift balance, and the SFT has holes drilled in the handle handle portion of the tang? Does each achieve the same weight reduction and comparable balance shift such that the choice is primarily aesthetic, or is there a performance difference between the two?

Thanks!

Im walking out the door. Ive got 35mins to get somewhere 1hr away.
Hopefully someone will be along to help you out

Phillip,

Thanks!

The tapered tangs are tapered versions of the SFT tangs, so more weight reduction, less handle mass, and better balance on the smaller models. More forward weight on the largest models to improve chopping. So there is definitely a functional aspect. All of the 4 inch bladed models I have with tapered tangs have near a perfect neutral balance which is my favorite balance on a working knife.

8_zpsh7u2ghhv.jpg

Phillip,

Thanks!

I'll take a stab at this one. All the knives are skeletonized and then some are further tapered. IMO, this is mostly aesthetic on the smaller blades but can "shave" considerable weight on some of the larger knives. It shifts the balance point toward the tip a little. To me, it greatly enhances the "hand made" esthetic as most mass produced knives don't have that feature.

Is this still available?

2016 0909 02 – Stubbymuk w/ black canvas over natural liners & white pinstripes(TUXEDO), TT
Convex on spalted 5/32” A2 - $260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back