Fiddleback Maintenance Question

jb33

Gold Member
I recently pulled out one of my Fiddleback's from about two years ago to start using the knife. (Like many, I accumulated too many to use on a regular basis so several sit unused). As the patina started to form, I noticed several areas where the patina formed in a tiny circle. Looking at it more closely, I noticed a very small "pepper spot," probably from storage, at the center of each circle. I usually apply a thin coat of mineral oil every 6 months to my knives sitting around but probably left this one sit around too long. Since they are so small and only visible at the perfect angle, in the perfect light, my thought is to keep using the knife and ignore the spots. Perhaps they may just go away with a bit more heavy use anyway. Any advice to easily get the spots out or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Soak them in warm salt water overnight. The A2 and wood burl handles do well with this procedure

J jb33 ignore Bmurray Bmurray , he’s brain damaged. I thought there was a maintenance thread on here somewhere where this has been discussed. I just searched for “maintenance” in the title and didn’t find what I was looking for although a few of those threads might help. You can probably remove those spots with a little polishing compound. To keep the blade looking as original as possible, polish with a soft cloth in the same direction as the grind lines.

J jb33 ignore Bmurray Bmurray , he’s brain damaged. I thought there was a maintenance thread on here somewhere where this has been discussed. I just searched for “maintenance” in the title and didn’t find what I was looking for although a few of those threads might help. You can probably remove those spots with a little polishing compound. To keep the blade looking as original as possible, polish with a soft cloth in the same direction as the grind lines.
Salt water is easier

J jb33 a good friend of mine sent me a small rust remover block called super eraser rust eraser (riversedgecutlery.com) and I've used it a few times. Seems to work fantastic and give a blade a new look (must clean with grind lines). I've used it to remove a few pepper spots. He told me you need to do the whole blade or you end up with a clean spot while the rest has a patina (unless it has no patina then hitting a single area is ok). I don't think they are expensive and it may be worth it to give it a try?? May want to use it on a frequent user first to see if you like it. Then could be used to help maintain. OH! I lay the knife at a slight angle with the cutting edge on a cloth or leather piece and go from spine to edge. Wouldn't want you to get a dull edge going the other way.

J jb33 a good friend of mine sent me a small rust remover block called super eraser rust eraser (riversedgecutlery.com) and I've used it a few times. Seems to work fantastic and give a blade a new look (must clean with grind lines). I've used it to remove a few pepper spots. He told me you need to do the whole blade or you end up with a clean spot while the rest has a patina (unless it has no patina then hitting a single area is ok). I don't think they are expensive and it may be worth it to give it a try?? May want to use it on a frequent user first to see if you like it. Then could be used to help maintain. OH! I lay the knife at a slight angle with the cutting edge on a cloth or leather piece and go from spine to edge. Wouldn't want you to get a dull edge going the other way.
Thanks! I will look into this.

Thanks! I had to think twice about Bob’s suggestion since I read he does some unique blade and handle mods. Perhaps forced rust spots are one of them.

Last edited:
Put a drop of mineral oil on it and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so. Paper towel will probably remove the spot, although any ring around it might be visible. As an alternative you can cut up a meal with some meat and veggies and just that action should remove it.....More flavor.

Or take Andy up on his offer, but never Bob's........

Back